No announcement yet.

Looking into adding Solar Panels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the reason some are right next to each other and some are spaced?
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

The spaced ones are stacked two high waiting to get mounted.

Comment

Yea, I can see that now. Do you worry about any roof leaks caused by walking all over that roof? Sealed fasteners can flex all by themselves over time and then walking on the roof can contribute to that. For all I know you went in and installed all new sealed fasteners as you installed the panel racks.

Comment

Pac,
          That is a standing seam roof so we used s-5 clamps which you can see pictured here. They don't penetrate the metal roofing at all. I have been checking the seams as we go.

For my next project I will be doing this on a exposed fastener roof, and I will be replacing all the fasteners as I go.
          s-5-r465_header.jpg

Comment

Randy, thanks for the info and smart move on replacing the fasteners.

Comment

When this project is complete, and is inspected, what will happen with your current electrical connection to the power grid? I assume it is a breaker box 100 -200 AMPS with a nearby electrical meter. Will all that remain in place? Will there be some way to manually "switch" back to "grid" power if you need?

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                What is the reason some are right next to each other and some are spaced?
                I was going to ask the same question.
                Joe Krezdorn
                DAK Self Storage
                Leesport, PA 19533
                www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Originally posted by dakselfstorage View Post

I was going to ask the same question.
                  Did you see his answer above?

Comment

Originally posted by Krypto View Post
                    When this project is complete, and is inspected, what will happen with your current electrical connection to the power grid? I assume it is a breaker box 100 -200 AMPS with a nearby electrical meter. Will all that remain in place? Will there be some way to manually "switch" back to "grid" power if you need?
                    We are using what is called Net Metering, this can mean different things depending on who you purchase your electricity from. For my agreement with my utility company, we sized the system to produce 100% of our energy use. Net Metering allows us to over produce during the day/summer for use at night/winter. So during the day our meter will run backwards, and at night it will run normally.

At one of my locations they cash out net metering at the end of every month. So I will not be able to produce 100% of my usage cost effectively. There we will still have to pay a small amount in winter months. We will design the system to produce 100% of our power 9 months of the year.

Comment

All the panels are now installed

Here is a photo of the 3 of us who did most the work.

Couple different aerial shots from different angles

Comment

Turned it into a slide show I put on You Tube

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Krypto
                          Reply to Sick of Tenants Who Are Jerks
                          Krypto
                          This is so true Pac, you have got to teach them how you do business the right way, right out of the gate. Otherwise, this WILL happen again.
                          Today, 09:00 PM
                        • pacnwstorage
                          Reply to What is a typical managers schedule?
                          pacnwstorage
                          At last facility I had a relief lady one day a week on Saturday and I had Sat and Sun off. Here I work Tuesday thru Saturday and have 2 days off. I live on site at both places. Had my share of "people bothering me when off but that is the nature of the beast. I love the on site living quarters...
                          Today, 08:45 PM
                        • jodikay1
                          What is a typical managers schedule?
                          jodikay1
                          I'm wondering what a manager schedule looks like. Is it typical for a manager to have two days off in a row? Are they usually on-call and need to be within driving distance all the time? Would this be different if it was an on-site vs off-site manager? I read the salary survey report, but didn't...
                          Today, 08:29 PM
                        Working...
                        X