HVAC requirement for self storage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVAC requirement for self storage

I am working on new storage buildings, my local HVAC guys give me different estimates. For 10,000 sqft area, some guy said I need 17 Ton units, some guys said I need 8 Ton units. Obviously not everybody know self storage very well.
    On average, how many area that one Ton will cover? 600 sqft or 1200 sqft?

A professional installer should be calculating this based on the building's level of insulation, occupant load, and climate (and possibly other factors). This can't be answered from what you have above.

Ask your contractors how they came up with their quotes. In this situation you might be better off having a design professional (architect or engineer) spell out the requirements, then have the subcontractors provide bids based on those specs. Without this, you really don't have an apples to apples comparison.

In general you are better off to have slightly undersized equipment that will run more than higher capacity equipment. A less powerful system will run more than a large one, reducing humidity and increasing air circulation.

Steve Hajewski
    Trachte Building Systems
    608 327-3208
    shajewski@trachte.com

Comment

Steve, I read the article http://www.insideselfstorage.com/art...e-control.aspx, it said
      "For homes or offices, 450 to 600 square feet per ton of air conditioning is considered desirable, but self-storage requires 1,250 to 1,600 square feet per ton. Facility owner Leon Chastant, of Lafayette, La., has been very successful in saving money on initial and operational costs by using 1,750 to 2,000 square feet per ton to cool his building, which is undoubtedly in a hot, humid area. So far, there’s no complaints."
      This will be a great difference, I want to hear your guys opinions on this article.

Comment

In Warehousing we do 600-800 per ton... as for self storage, i think we are 1500 per ton. (this building was built in 2003.... so far no complaints)

As for 7 tons, as long as you have vestibules in your loading bays and your sites are quiet (most self storage is) then should should be fine with this calculation. ... IMO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X