125 pounds per sq foot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 125 pounds per sq foot

I'm reading that the minimum limit for multi-story buildings are usually 125 pounds per square foot.

If I have a multi-story building that I'm looking at converting, how do I go about testing the 2nd and 3rd floors to make sure that they are up to spec?

Thanks for your help,

Okie_Pilot

Hire a local engineering firm to do it. This is not something you can do on your own.

You'll often need to have a professional architect or engineer help with some of the planning and remodeling (such as creating "as-built" drawings to serve as a starting point for your conversion layout). Ideally, having one firm provide all of this service will make things less complicated.

Steve

Comment

Spot on, Steve. BTW, I have had cost estimates for the borings and reports (including x-ray of concrete) and requirements/drawings to meet the 125 PSF for around $80,000 for a three story 90,000 SF building. If you go to the engineering standards, you may be shocked at live load requirements. The cost to bring up to 125 PSF can be astounding.

REF: http://faculty.arch.tamu.edu/media/c...1codeloads.pdf

RK
      Live Well, Learn Lots, Love ALL!
      RK Kliebenstein
      Vice President of Business Development
      Metro Storage LLC
      847 387-2943
      rk@metrostorage.com
      E: rk@metrostorage.com
      sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
        Reply to End of This Chapter
        pacnwstorage
        dreid, sorry to hear what happened. There were times, you could see in your posts, how frustrated you were with what was going on there. Hope you do check back in whenever you can. Are you going to try and stay in the storage industry? Open to moving for the right job? Again, sorry to hear about this....
        Today, 08:46 PM
      • blazer
        Reply to Power in "Intended" RV/Boat storage
        blazer
        I second that!!! People have eyes and pocketbooks larger than their abilities/experience sometimes (a lot of times) and they CANNOT park those big rigs straight in their space to save their life! Angled parking and plenty of space to maneuver is a must. As for the dump station, it would be easier to...
        Today, 08:04 PM
      • blazer
        Reply to End of This Chapter
        blazer
        I'm so sorry! I hope you will not stay off the forum, I have enjoyed your comments and insights. I wish you both all the best and I'm sure you are right, this will most likely prove to be a blessing in disguise, things like this often do!
        Today, 07:28 PM
      Working...
      X