125 pounds per sq foot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 125 pounds per sq foot

I'm reading that the minimum limit for multi-story buildings are usually 125 pounds per square foot.

If I have a multi-story building that I'm looking at converting, how do I go about testing the 2nd and 3rd floors to make sure that they are up to spec?

Thanks for your help,

Okie_Pilot

Hire a local engineering firm to do it. This is not something you can do on your own.

You'll often need to have a professional architect or engineer help with some of the planning and remodeling (such as creating "as-built" drawings to serve as a starting point for your conversion layout). Ideally, having one firm provide all of this service will make things less complicated.

Steve

Comment

Spot on, Steve. BTW, I have had cost estimates for the borings and reports (including x-ray of concrete) and requirements/drawings to meet the 125 PSF for around $80,000 for a three story 90,000 SF building. If you go to the engineering standards, you may be shocked at live load requirements. The cost to bring up to 125 PSF can be astounding.

REF: http://faculty.arch.tamu.edu/media/c...1codeloads.pdf

RK
      Live Well, Learn Lots, Love ALL!
      RK Kliebenstein
      Vice President of Business Development
      Metro Storage LLC
      847 387-2943
      rk@metrostorage.com
      E: rk@metrostorage.com
      sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gina6k
        Reply to SST Member Q&A
        Gina6k
        SST username: Gina6k
        Length of time in the industry: Eek! Umm, 25+ years now.
        How did you get into the self-storage business or become involved with the industry?
        Part time weekend...
        Today, 02:09 AM
      • Gina6k
        Reply to On what grounds can we discriminate?
        Gina6k
        I agree with Ron, tell him to check out your favorite colored door people down the street. If you have your rules for rental posted and he doesn't meet those then he can't rent a unit from you, simple. Interesting thought for you; as the owner/operator do you have more latitude than the average facility...
        Today, 01:46 AM
      • Steve_hajewski
        Reply to How are "long term" contracts handled?
        Steve_hajewski
        I would error on the side of being generous with rent refunds in such a situation. It's not worth the hassle and mad people talk. A lot. It seems to me the goal is for them to be gone and teh unit to be rented to someone else. Recouping some rent for time they weren't there is not the core issue.
        Yesterday, 11:07 PM
      Working...
      X