Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a location, now what?

Good afternoon all,

I've been reading a ton on this site over the last few months and have learned a lot. Thanks!

I've been in the real estate industry for about 10 years, albeit on the finance side. I've been a lender on a number of self-storage deals (acquisitions and refinancings) but I'm pretty green when it comes to development. That said, I have the opportunity to acquire a piece of land in NJ (where I'm from) which I've determined to be an excellent location for a facility. I have a relationship with the seller, and will likely be able to acquire the property in an off-market deal. I've also had very preliminary discussions with the town as the property is not currently zoned for self-storage. While I try to figure out the right price to offer (which will be contingent on receiving the OK from the town), much of this depends on what size facility I can build, the right unit mix, etc. Need some help or recommendations for a solid consulting firm to help me determine the right size, whether I should consider building in phases, and most importantly, if they confirm my hunch that this is, in fact, a good location for a self-storage facility. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum samstorage, I see you have been a "lurker. Someone here will be able to point you in the right direction.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Hello Sam,

I would recommend that your next step would be to get a Professional Feasibility Study done for the site you have chosen. Find out if more storage is even needed in that area. Then a Site Plan to see what will fit.

See http://www.ministorageoutlet.com/siteplanning.html for more info on Site Planning.

Steve

Comment

For feasibility check out Jay Graham of Self Storage Advisors - www.storageadvisors.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• mattherbaines
          One of the Best storage units I have had experience with.
          mattherbaines
          I came across this secure and more facilitating storage solution with climate controlled storage units in Burlington that has it full perimeter fenced and high tech video surveillance system providing even boardroom rental service which has a table seating capacity of 12 people, a projector, Wi-Fi,...
          We provide on-site storage units with controlled environments. The consistent temperatures prevent extreme elements from damaging your delicate materials.
          Today, 08:31 AM
        • pacnwstorage
          Reply to Background checks?
          pacnwstorage
          Just before close at 6 PM I had a call from a young guy asking if I had ANY units. First red flag there. I asked if he knew what size he needed and when he needed it. He said I need it today! Second red flag! He said he needed an 8x10 or a 10x10. I have a couple open 5x10 units but no 10x10. I did not...
          Yesterday, 09:59 PM
        • Krypto
          Reply to Background checks?
          Krypto
          Background checks, and credit checks, for a person to rent a storage unit, is a slippery slope for sure! I Pac has the best method, which is to say there are no vacancies, until he can tell that the person will not be a PITA. Everyone has a past, some complaints, maybe even some convictions. You cannot...
          Yesterday, 09:27 PM
        Working...
        X