Announcement

Collapse

Holiday Closures

Due to office closures during the 2017 winter holidays, SST membership registration may take longer to process. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience. Happy holidays!
See more
See less

Found a location, now what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a location, now what?

Good afternoon all,

I've been reading a ton on this site over the last few months and have learned a lot. Thanks!

I've been in the real estate industry for about 10 years, albeit on the finance side. I've been a lender on a number of self-storage deals (acquisitions and refinancings) but I'm pretty green when it comes to development. That said, I have the opportunity to acquire a piece of land in NJ (where I'm from) which I've determined to be an excellent location for a facility. I have a relationship with the seller, and will likely be able to acquire the property in an off-market deal. I've also had very preliminary discussions with the town as the property is not currently zoned for self-storage. While I try to figure out the right price to offer (which will be contingent on receiving the OK from the town), much of this depends on what size facility I can build, the right unit mix, etc. Need some help or recommendations for a solid consulting firm to help me determine the right size, whether I should consider building in phases, and most importantly, if they confirm my hunch that this is, in fact, a good location for a self-storage facility. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum samstorage, I see you have been a "lurker. Someone here will be able to point you in the right direction.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Hello Sam,

I would recommend that your next step would be to get a Professional Feasibility Study done for the site you have chosen. Find out if more storage is even needed in that area. Then a Site Plan to see what will fit.

See http://www.ministorageoutlet.com/siteplanning.html for more info on Site Planning.

Steve

Comment

For feasibility check out Jay Graham of Self Storage Advisors - www.storageadvisors.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• newstorageguy
          Reply to Hello Group
          newstorageguy
          lol... well, very inexperienced will be me. And if they are sleeping in the unit in January they will be frozen quickly in our area...... I know i will be relying on all of our expertise at that time. Bring on January 2. thanks,...
          Yesterday, 11:41 PM
        • pacnwstorage
          Reply to Hello Group
          pacnwstorage
          Well then, come January, when the first excuse for non payment or you catch a sleeper in a unit or have to deal with figuring out if you should rent to a person or just overlook the joint behind their ear and the beer can in their hand, you will be "experienced" and have to learn how to swim...
          Yesterday, 11:22 PM
        • newstorageguy
          Reply to Hello Group
          newstorageguy
          Well I guess my plain name worked......lol thanks to all for their messages. I am in WI. Looking forward to learning more from all of you. You are the experts and I am the virgin.......
          Yesterday, 11:13 PM
        Working...
        X