Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a location, now what?

Good afternoon all,

I've been reading a ton on this site over the last few months and have learned a lot. Thanks!

I've been in the real estate industry for about 10 years, albeit on the finance side. I've been a lender on a number of self-storage deals (acquisitions and refinancings) but I'm pretty green when it comes to development. That said, I have the opportunity to acquire a piece of land in NJ (where I'm from) which I've determined to be an excellent location for a facility. I have a relationship with the seller, and will likely be able to acquire the property in an off-market deal. I've also had very preliminary discussions with the town as the property is not currently zoned for self-storage. While I try to figure out the right price to offer (which will be contingent on receiving the OK from the town), much of this depends on what size facility I can build, the right unit mix, etc. Need some help or recommendations for a solid consulting firm to help me determine the right size, whether I should consider building in phases, and most importantly, if they confirm my hunch that this is, in fact, a good location for a self-storage facility. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum samstorage, I see you have been a "lurker. Someone here will be able to point you in the right direction.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Hello Sam,

I would recommend that your next step would be to get a Professional Feasibility Study done for the site you have chosen. Find out if more storage is even needed in that area. Then a Site Plan to see what will fit.

See http://www.ministorageoutlet.com/siteplanning.html for more info on Site Planning.

Steve

Comment

For feasibility check out Jay Graham of Self Storage Advisors - www.storageadvisors.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
          Reply to End of This Chapter
          pacnwstorage
          dreid, sorry to hear what happened. There were times, you could see in your posts, how frustrated you were with what was going on there. Hope you do check back in whenever you can. Are you going to try and stay in the storage industry? Open to moving for the right job? Again, sorry to hear about this....
          Today, 08:46 PM
        • blazer
          Reply to Power in "Intended" RV/Boat storage
          blazer
          I second that!!! People have eyes and pocketbooks larger than their abilities/experience sometimes (a lot of times) and they CANNOT park those big rigs straight in their space to save their life! Angled parking and plenty of space to maneuver is a must. As for the dump station, it would be easier to...
          Today, 08:04 PM
        • blazer
          Reply to End of This Chapter
          blazer
          I'm so sorry! I hope you will not stay off the forum, I have enjoyed your comments and insights. I wish you both all the best and I'm sure you are right, this will most likely prove to be a blessing in disguise, things like this often do!
          Today, 07:28 PM
        Working...
        X