Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a location, now what?

Good afternoon all,

I've been reading a ton on this site over the last few months and have learned a lot. Thanks!

I've been in the real estate industry for about 10 years, albeit on the finance side. I've been a lender on a number of self-storage deals (acquisitions and refinancings) but I'm pretty green when it comes to development. That said, I have the opportunity to acquire a piece of land in NJ (where I'm from) which I've determined to be an excellent location for a facility. I have a relationship with the seller, and will likely be able to acquire the property in an off-market deal. I've also had very preliminary discussions with the town as the property is not currently zoned for self-storage. While I try to figure out the right price to offer (which will be contingent on receiving the OK from the town), much of this depends on what size facility I can build, the right unit mix, etc. Need some help or recommendations for a solid consulting firm to help me determine the right size, whether I should consider building in phases, and most importantly, if they confirm my hunch that this is, in fact, a good location for a self-storage facility. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum samstorage, I see you have been a "lurker. Someone here will be able to point you in the right direction.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Hello Sam,

I would recommend that your next step would be to get a Professional Feasibility Study done for the site you have chosen. Find out if more storage is even needed in that area. Then a Site Plan to see what will fit.

See http://www.ministorageoutlet.com/siteplanning.html for more info on Site Planning.

Steve

Comment

For feasibility check out Jay Graham of Self Storage Advisors - www.storageadvisors.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
          Reply to Late fees/auction fees
          pacnwstorage
          The only fee, here in Oregon, that is limited is the amount for late fees. My lien fees can be what I want. I charge $50 to cut a lock, $15 for a cert letter, $50 for auction fees. I would bet that those fees may be heavily limited in states like Ca. Typically the lien process starts the very first...
          Today, 12:26 PM
        • habreu
          Reply to Direct Mail...What Experiences Have You Had?
          habreu
          We tried this as vendors (not facility owners) and zilch. The only time I have had any result with this was years ago (in another neighborhood industry) when it included a magnet with our number they could put on the fridge - but it never paid for the cost.
          Today, 12:22 PM
        • habreu
          Reply to Punny catch phrases
          habreu
          Primitive man forages. Modern man Storages....
          Today, 12:18 PM
        Working...
        X