Cap Rates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cap Rates

We have a refinancing coming up and I am checking on cap rates being used by appraisers. Mortgage Bankers are telling me they are about 6.5% to 7.0%. Anybody hear anything different? Thanks.

Cap rates will vary depending on how attractive your property is to large buyers. If you have a large class A property in a major market, the cap rate would be lower than a basic site in a small market.

So without knowing more about the property it would be hard to say if it's good or bad. About a year ago mine (small market site, new construction) was appraised with an 8% cap rate. So to me your rate sounds good. But I have no idea if its an apples to apples comparison, and rates have been low lately due to the amount of money chasing these properties.

A have seen two different appraisers more than $50k apart on a property. Numbers can vary very widely from one to another, especially if one of them does not have experience in the industry.

Steve

Comment

Steve is right. They can be anywhere from 5% to 8%. We had a rough warehouse in Toronto at a 5.5% cap. I think 6%-6.5% is decent.

Comment

Echo the above 2. We have seen everything from a 5.25 to 10+ depending on market, physical quality and how well the facility is run.
        Chasing Perfection to catch Excellence

Comment

Appraiser's accuracy makes Weathermen look perfect. It's a guess and there is no accountability in the system. But it's required so everyone uses them. Unfortunately, your livelihood and financial future can depend on their guessing. Good luck.

I am seeing 8-9% in actual purchases in upper Midwest.

Comment

If interest stays low 4.5% to 5.0% a lower cap rate ( 7%) might work, but if they go up to 6% or 7% go with (9% or 10%)
            Woodee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X