Background checks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background checks?

"I'm so sorry he got dumped on you. I wonder if he's been kicked out of other facilities and step-dad knew it would be difficult for step-son to rent his own unit?? Following the law to be able to auction the unit is the easy part. Eventually, I'm sure, he'll be released from jail and will need to come to his unit. When that happens, call the police immediately to get him trespassed. Hopefully his unit will have been long gone by then. Good Luck."

This answer to another thread got me thinking. Do any of your facilities run background checks on prospective tenants either before or after a unit or spot rental? I know of one facility, here in Springfield, Oregon, that does. If you do, do you also do a credit check?
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

I've never worked at a facility where one is requested, but I have had tenants ask me if we do a credit check, if we require a credit card for rental and things such as this.
    Tall Terri

The customer's fantasy doesn't always match with our reality! http://www.selfstoragetalk.com/core/...ilies/cool.png

Comment

With the owner's approval I have now set it up where all new tenants have to sign up for auto pay. Only had one walk away.

Comment

No background or credit checks here. But, with this specific situation had a check been run on the step father since his name was on the lease doesn't necessarily mean any of this could have been prevented. However, once it was realized it was the step son & not step father who actually owns the items in the unit (can't recall from the org post if it was stated a time frame that was discovered) shouldn't a new lease or eviction have happened? Maybe I am over thinking the situation.
        Canton, OH - Hall of Fame City

Comment

With the known problems with the son by the time they found out about the son's items being in the unit, eviction is the answer. Knowing the son is bipolar would cause me not to want to do another lease in his name. Don't have to say that though. Just evict because of the problems he had caused.

Comment

After I did a Google search last summer and turned away a renter from something I found, I caught a bit of heat from my bosses for doing that so I've just about given up on it. If they want us to rent to anyone with a heartbeat and money, that's on them. I'll just give them the highest price, no specials and be very cut and dry and hope that does the trick

Comment

All states are different, and whether or not you can evict or refuse service I think lays upon wording in your rules and regulations, aside from the usual "right to refuse service".
              I'm in Oregon. We have a pretty great website to the Oregon Judicial Dept where public court records can be searched. In the past we just looked at mugshot searches and jail rosters, but that doesn't always tell you if the person was CONVICTED, just that they were arrested. This website shows exactly what the charges were and if they were convicted and sentenced. It also goes back more years than the mugshot sites. https://webportal.courts.oregon.gov/portal/

We didn't do much more than mugshots until we posted it officially that "We may perform public record searches for felony convictions". And it really depends on the charges. A DUI? I don't really care. Theft?? Heck yes I care. And most people squeak by without me searching, just by looking and acting decent. If they give me pause as to their character, I do a search right away and either evict or refuse service at the rental.

We played around with paid search sites like everify but didn't find them useful enough to pay for that service. We don't do credit checks unless they will be living or working with us.
              Give them an inch, they'll take a mile!

Comment

Danika, where in Oregon? I am in Eugene.

Comment

Background checks, and credit checks, for a person to rent a storage unit, is a slippery slope for sure! I Pac has the best method, which is to say there are no vacancies, until he can tell that the person will not be a PITA. Everyone has a past, some complaints, maybe even some convictions. You cannot police your customers! You just can't! Their name, initials, copy of their id., should be plenty to rent them a unit, and hold them responsible for any wrondoing(s). If, and when a decision is made that they should be evicted, utilize the usual methods, that are used for a problem tenant.
                  Last edited by Krypto; 22nd September 2017, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Just before close at 6 PM I had a call from a young guy asking if I had ANY units. First red flag there. I asked if he knew what size he needed and when he needed it. He said I need it today! Second red flag! He said he needed an 8x10 or a 10x10. I have a couple open 5x10 units but no 10x10. I did not tell him that, yet. I asked what is going in the unit. He said some boxes from home. I was thinking, "must be lots of boxes for a 10x10 unit." I asked if any furniture was going in to unit. He said this, "I have a dining room table and 4 chairs". I said that would take up some room depending on how many boxes he had, he may need a 10x10 that I didn't have. I asked again if any more furniture? He said a few pieces-ish. Yes he said "ISH". I said I was likely different than any other manager he may check with and I needed to know approx how many boxes and what was in the boxes and what the "ISH" furniture pieces were. He asked why I needed to know. I said that sometimes people ask for a smaller unit than they actually need and then will damage my unit trying to make it all fit and that is why I ask what is going in to the unit. He said, "I think I will check elsewhere". I said ok and thank you and hung up.

So to review:
                    1. ANY units-no particular size.
                    2. Need it TODAY-likely just got kicked out of somewhere or a breakup, which will likely include drama.
                    3. Vague responses about what is going in unit.

I know some of you will disagree with this but I don't want that tenant and with over 600 units and only 4 vacancies I am not going to move in a likely problem.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X