Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do everyday?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What do you do everyday?

    I've done a lot of research into opening our self storage facility, and have a pretty good idea of what it takes to manage a facility on a daily basis.

    But...I want to ask anyway. What do you do everyday?

    I figure there must be some things not on my list of daily/weekly/monthly activities that all of you are doing, that are not very obvious.

    If you don't mind, would you all share what it is you do everyday "on the job"?

    Of course I understand there are some differences in what an owner, manager, or employee might do (for example, an employee might not handle some of the high level stuff that the owner or manager might handle), so if you could share your role in the facility, that'd be great too. Any input is appreciated!!

  • #2
    Resident Manager: Work Tuesday thru Saturday-Always open early by about 15 minutes, coffee is a must, attach overnight reports to previous day close paperwork, check gate log for anyone who stayed later than they should have, review camera activity, check emails, check for messages from owner's son, make sure paper is full on printer and open up business software for activity, get the gold cart out and tour facility and do a lock check at same time, return any messages from overnight on the business phone, as soon as bank opens make the quick trip to the bank for deposit, review unit waiting list and expected move outs and make any alert calls to waiting list people about upcoming unit openings, listen to Rush on the radio, make sure leases are ready for any move ins, check and sweep or vacuum if needed, dust, follow through the rest of the day with any calls or rentals or move outs and make any needed calls for late tenants and make sure emails are sent if needed, at end of day make sure all unlocked entrances that should be locked are locked and put away golf cart and run end of day.

    Wash, rinse, repeat. Each day can have surprises depending on traffic and whether is a late fee day or late fee payments requiring unlocking unit and end of month paperwork.

    I am sure there is also something I forgot that I will think of later, maybe.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
      Resident Manager: Work Tuesday thru Saturday-Always open early by about 15 minutes, coffee is a must, attach overnight reports to previous day close paperwork, check gate log for anyone who stayed later than they should have, review camera activity, check emails, check for messages from owner's son, make sure paper is full on printer and open up business software for activity, get the gold cart out and tour facility and do a lock check at same time, return any messages from overnight on the business phone, as soon as bank opens make the quick trip to the bank for deposit, review unit waiting list and expected move outs and make any alert calls to waiting list people about upcoming unit openings, listen to Rush on the radio, make sure leases are ready for any move ins, check and sweep or vacuum if needed, dust, follow through the rest of the day with any calls or rentals or move outs and make any needed calls for late tenants and make sure emails are sent if needed, at end of day make sure all unlocked entrances that should be locked are locked and put away golf cart and run end of day.

      Wash, rinse, repeat. Each day can have surprises depending on traffic and whether is a late fee day or late fee payments requiring unlocking unit and end of month paperwork.

      I am sure there is also something I forgot that I will think of later, maybe.
      And what do you do in your free time? (ducking the brick thrown at me)
      "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal." -Matthew 6:20

      Comment


      • #4
        I own a 163 unit approx 30,000 sq ft facility. I work 40 hours a week at my day job. For my own self storage business, i spend about 20 hours per month between meeting clients for rentals, entering contracts into the management software, and collection related activities. I drive through the facility twice daily to keep an eye on things. I have someone else plow and mow the property.

        Steve

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RogerAgness View Post

          And what do you do in your free time? (ducking the brick thrown at me)
          I read, alot! I BBQ when I can. I shoot at the range. I really do dream of my perfect facility set up that I have talked about here before. I have certain shows I record and watch so I fall asleep watching tv. Plan what to do with the rest of my life.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the input folks.

            Steve, is it safe to assume that your facility is accessed via the gate, with no attendant at any time other than when someone makes an appointment with you? Is your facility mostly full, and you just "maintain" at this point?

            Comment


            • #7
              We have a gated facility with security cameras. I do morning paperwork, check the alarm system, answer emails, speak to tenants, take payments, depending on what part of the month I"m in-write up reports for monthly meetings. walk the yard and speak to tenants, collection calls, etc. Today has been quiet though.
              An apple a day keeps ANYONE away if you throw it hard enough.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RogerAgness View Post

                And what do you do in your free time? (ducking the brick thrown at me)
                Reading a book while having coffee during free time.
                self storage solutions that fits in with YOUR busy life…

                Comment


                • #9
                  Looks like another lurker has joined the fun. Welcome to the forum macysstorage! Do you have a float in the parade?
                  "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    morning paperwork consists of late notices invoices that have to be mailed instead of emailed, auto pay's paperwork. during the day we do keys, faxing/copies, shipping, Uhaul rentals, mail boxes, retail sales, and, wait, I'm missing something...oh yeah! Storage!!! In between there is making sure we have lease packets done, forms for customers printed, office cleaned, rounds done, empty units swept, keeping track of what all the other employees are doing, filing, paperwork (monthly reports etc) auctions to prepare for, and conduct, and this forum to keep up with! (which I don't get to as much as I'd like!)
                    "I don't understand your specific kind of crazy but I do admire your total commitment to it!"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks again everyone!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        There's a lot of down time as resident manager, a lot, even more so when it rains. Back in the day (in a similar industry) I wrote two full-feature screenplays. Wrote a few short films and had them produced. Like I said, a lot of down time.
                        Chuck G.
                        Content Developer & Social Media Manager
                        Online Storage Auction Services
                        iBid4Storage

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ChuckG View Post
                          There's a lot of down time as resident manager, a lot, even more so when it rains. Back in the day (in a similar industry) I wrote two full-feature screenplays. Wrote a few short films and had them produced. Like I said, a lot of down time.
                          There are busier days than others. Since my rent is due on the 1st, I am busier now with move outs, calling waiting list people, showing and renting units and of course all the rent payments made around this time.
                          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Open facility , check for move outs , check emails , process cr fit card payments , open all the mail , pay office bills , bank reconciliations , credit card recons , answer calls , pay quartly taxes , do all accounting functions , deal with a grumpy old staff member at one of our two locations , clean , vacuum , wash toilets and sweep units , coordinate contractors as needed and last but not least rent units and make collection calls and video tape units for auction , and ub my free time I talk to myself because I work alone and have no coworkers at my office

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                              Looks like another lurker has joined the fun. Welcome to the forum macysstorage! Do you have a float in the parade?
                              We didn't "have a float" in the parade, but my business partner had sixteen costumes in MACY'S 90th Annual Thanksgiving Day Parade! We design (and build) costumes (and props) for theme parks, theater, and special events around the world. https://www.facebook.com/WinfieldMurdockCreativeWorks/
                              "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal." -Matthew 6:20

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • pacnwstorage
                                Reply to Boat/Trailer Lien
                                pacnwstorage
                                Why not just have it towed off and let a towing company handle it from here. If you are unsure of what to do and all info points to Ca. and you are even more unsure then get it gone and rent the unit to a paying tenant. The time you take to figure this out is costing money unless the boat and trailer...
                                Today, 08:08 PM
                              • markus
                                Reply to Cloud-based self storage software storing & emailing passwords in plaintext form
                                markus
                                MH: I can tell you our developers are not reading your false, misleading statements. There is nothing for them to glean here. Based on your lack of understanding the quotes (or URLs) you are misusing, not once but twice, what would our developers say to you?

                                Please see above, in red, next...
                                Today, 07:53 PM
                              • Manager_1986
                                Boat/Trailer Lien
                                Manager_1986
                                Hi everyone.

                                OK, so we did cut locks not long ago, and found a boat and trailer in the unit. Didn't want to deal with it (lol) so we cut the occupant a killer deal to settle and come get it. Apparently he isn't interested. So we are "planning" to lien sale it.

                                So,...
                                Today, 06:29 PM
                              Working...
                              X