Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storing Red Locks Nicely to Prevent Paint Chipping ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing Red Locks Nicely to Prevent Paint Chipping ??

Last summer we ordered 300 new Red Locks for overlocking units since all our old Red Locks were a very rusty light pink color after years of wear and tear. I want to keep our new Red Locks looking nice and RED! but in the course of daily use the paint does get chipped pretty easily. does anyone have a good system for storing Red Locks to protect the paint from chipping? I am thinking of filling a box or a bucket with packing peanuts and keeping them in there or in folds of popping paper ?? would love to hear if anyone else has a clever system! thank you !!

300 red locks is a lot of over locks. If the locks are stored where they are not jostled around and not thrown in to a box then the paint chipping should not occur there. It seems it would happen when locking at the unit, unless you are real careful doing that. The paint can get rubbed away, over time, by handling them. How old are the old red locks? If you really want to store them then the folds of the popping paper should work. Are they a padlock or a disc lock. If they are a padlock you could have a rail that you would hang the latch off of and space them. No need to have all 300 out of the box, IMO.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

maybe we didn't order 300 lol that sounds like overkill for a 400-unit property! maybe we ordered 100?? anyway we ordered quite a few and yea they just get knocked around bc we store them one of top of the other in the golf cart a lot of times then yes they get dropped here and there and so on. it's definitely not at the top of my priority list here but i actually had a Dream about this the other night lol so i guess it's nagging at my subconscious !!

Comment

I think I would have a session with a therapist if you are dreaming of red locks. LOL! I have talked to you and PM'd you and never got the feeling you would let the job get to you to the point you would have this type of dream! LOL! Just funnin'.

Comment

You could likely get a block of foam and just cut in the inserts where you would slip the locks in.

Comment

Originally posted by Madman View Post
            You could likely get a block of foam and just cut in the inserts where you would slip the locks in.
            Capital idea. Can you imagine doing that for 300 locks. LOL!

Comment

ha well this job has become more of a Lifestyle than a job after a year ~ i'm sure you All can understand! so i was cleaning out stuff under the desk in an early Spring Cleaning attempt this morning and found a small plastic laundry-basket of sorts. i folded some layers of shredded paper packing material from a glass bottle shipment in there and am storing the locks on it and they seem very Happy and also protected from clanging about and chipping off their neighbors' red paint! thanks for all the input, you guys are the Best! we should all get a Beer sometime lol.

Comment

Absolute, if you don't mind me asking, how many late tenants do you average each month with the 400 units?

About the beer, I like Corona with lime so before any tariffs get added you better stock up. Also, I like peanuts with the beer, or pizza, whatever you are buying! LOL!

Comment

ha! okay, i'll make a note!

as for late tenants, we average 50 past dues on any given day here. right now we are down to 41 which is the lowest i have seen it since i started here last year! sometimes it's over 60. i just started using texting to send out Past Due reminders with a link to our online payment screen and that is SO great, it really works!! when i started they didn't have email, or text, or an online payment portal -- we are making great strides toward the 21st century! lol.

Comment

Is your rent due on the 1st or anniversary payments? The % is high either way but it sounds like you are getting it lower. A way to help with that is to also NEVER credit a late fee. Does your facility follow the newer Oregon late fee schedule?

Comment

We ordered 30 4+ years ago for a 200+ unit facility. All have been in use a few times, but usually only about 20. We kept the little boxes and baggies they came in (each lock was in its own cardboard box and a bag) so we put them back in the boxes and baggies every time. They still look new 4+ years later.

Comment

oh My! impressive! ours came in boxes and baggies too but i don't save those -- nice work!

we just switched over to FOM billing as of this month Feb 2017 and i LOVE it. we also updated our late fee schedule in 2017 and went from a flat $20 Late Fee at Day 11 and Day 32 to a $20 Late Fee at Day 6 past due and a $20 or 20% if rent over $100 Late Fee on Day 32.

we do have a lot of chronic Late Payers here! we are waiving all Late Fees this month (gasp!!) to give everyone a chance to adjust their budgets to the new FOM Billing Schedule, normally we are pretty tight on not waiving Late Fees.

Comment

We too are strict on charging late fees. We will waive the first late fee if we can get immediate payment when we contact the customer by phone. If they can't pay when we call them, then they get a late fee. After the first time, we don't call and don't waive late fees. $25 late fee applies if account is not paid in full by end of business on the 6th day of the month. Check in drop box 1 minute late = $25 late fee. Just had a repeat customer who has been told numerous times this month call me 15 minutes prior to closing on the 6th this month. Said he was 10 minutes out to please wait. I waited until 10 after closing, then left. He showed up at 15 after closing and then was upset I didn't wait for him and he couldn't get into his unit. He paid his normal fee thinking we would waive the late fee, only to get a letter in the mail this week showing $25 balance still owed.

As Pac says, don't let the inmates run the asylum. We once charged a customer a late fee because he refused to pay the correct rent amount 2 months in a row and had a $10 balance after the 6th. Man was he upset, even admitted to receiving the letters and the voicemail we left him, just ignored everything. FYI, he hasn't paid short or late once since that time lol.

Comment

nice! i am getting better at sticking to my Guns on these types of situations -- usually if someone calls in super pissed that THEY paid the wrong rent amount and ended up with a Late Fee i waive it bc i would rather have a happy customer than a pissed off one lol but yes if it happened more than once i would not waive it a second time. Customers love to try to put the blame right on US i have quickly learned in this job! i'm like, Did you get the Invoice we sent you clearly showing your Rent Due????? then how is it MY fault that you paid the wrong amount?! lol. inmates/asylum totally agree !!

Comment

The second the "inmates run the asylum" they will push continuously on everything. I recently, within the last 8 months, had a tenant that acted stupid about the $5 rent increase and I locked them out and got a call about not being able to get in to the unit and I told them they had not paid the full rent. They came down and slapped a $5 bill on the counter and demanded to be let in. I told them I was going to lunch, really wasn't, and would unlock the unit when I got back. They left in a huff. As soon as she left the lot I went and unlocked the unit. She did the short pay two more months with the same result. The husband came one time and tried to intimidate me. I told him I was too old to be told what I was and wasn't going to do unless they wrote me a paycheck. The warnings of the rent increase went out 60 days ahead of the increase. No problems since.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• calebtthomas
                                Reply to I'm Back!!!
                                calebtthomas
                                Welcome Back. It is always nice to have another voice, especially a veteran of the industry....
                                Today, 11:37 AM
                              • calebtthomas
                                Reply to Unstaffed Facilities
                                calebtthomas
                                We have four facilities and one office. We have 860+ units. We have never had an issue running the remote locations from our office. We set up appointments for rentals and meet the new customers at the site. If a customer absolutely need to pay in cash, we have them come to our office. Which for the...
                                Today, 11:21 AM
                              • calebtthomas
                                Reply to Employee Raises
                                calebtthomas
                                I do not get bonuses here, but I did receive a nice raise about 6 months into my work here. I do a lot for the company and in return they take care of me. I make a very nice salary and I always strive to improve the business in any and every way I can. I cannot say that if I do not get a raise yearly...
                                Today, 11:12 AM
                              Working...
                              X