Tenants with the "It's not my problem" attitude

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenants with the "It's not my problem" attitude

This is a bit of a rant. We have a few tenants who pay their rent through their bank's bill payment system. Unfortunately I've had repeated issues with these business checks because sometimes they come later than expected. Usually it happens with the same tenants every a couple of months. I call them to let them know we haven't received the payment yet. I wind up getting the same type of attitude..."it's not my problem". Basically they think that once the bank sends it, it's up to me to track it and find what happened to it. Well it's not! I tell them to check with their bank and consider putting a stop payment on it, and have a new check sent out. Then they ask if I can waive their late fees because "it's not their fault the bank didn't send the check or it was lost in the mail". This is after they give me their it's not my problem attitude. I know some people are going through financial difficulties but others just don't want to take responsibility for their business and issues. At least that's the way I see it.

That has happened to me a couple of times. I handled it this way. I let the tenant know that the bank generated check came late and that there is now a late fee and we NEVER post a partial payment. I tell them they can come down and pay the late fee and I will post the bank check at that point. I tell them that it is also up to THEM to get with their bank and tell them to send the checks at an earlier date otherwise there is a chance of the late fees being added each month. It is NEVER up to me to track anything for the tenant from their bank. PERIOD! I never ever credit the late fees or any other fees and I never ever post the check till the late fee is paid as well. If they want to play games then I start the lien process if it gets that late in the process. I also always make sure to document all contacts with the tenant and what I said and they said and when check came and anything related to the process.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I had a lady be snarky with me about her late check. I told her, "Look, instead of being unhappy with me, call your bank and have then send it earlier. Or you can go on autopay." Like we can control the mail or something.
      Why are I-phone chargers not called 'apple juice'???

Comment

Entitlement era means it's up to someone else to do what is needed and "I" am not responsible for it and I have a book of excuses to cover any possible circumstance. It's all the fault of "big" business and the "man". The storage unit should be free, after all. Free, free, free, free.....tra la la la la....la la....la la...

Comment

Ya'all need to listen to bro Pac. He is running a successful facility for a reason.

Comment

Steven Covey said it best, "Accountability breeds responsibility". Ain't that the truth Ruth!

Comment

We encourage tenants who are consistently late, or get their money later in the month, to pay an extra month to get paid ahead. Then, as long as they stay ahead, they never have to worry about getting hit with late fees.

The key to making them do this is never waiving late fees for them from the start.

Comment

"We encourage tenants who are consistently late, or get their money later in the month, to pay an extra month to get paid ahead. Then, as long as they stay ahead, they never have to worry about getting hit with late fees".

I have recommended the exact same thing before and tenants say they will do that and then they don't because to them, storage rent payment is lower seniority on what is important to them. Making sure they have smokes, liquor or even drugs have a higher priority. I know I am over simplifying it but a storage unit is a choice, not a must like a roof over your head or utilities or food or medications. The rest, and I see and hear of it all the time, is also a choice and too many tenants think those things are more important than storage rent.

Comment

We have terrible issues with the mail here, to the point that I go the extra step to say, bring me the check or pay by other means, because it often takes 2+ weeks to get a letter. I have seen it take a month. its all because the mail, even local, gets sent to Cleveland for sorting then comes back to our local post office. Even if you drop the check at the post office that it needs to go to. It is insane, and an idiotic system. My response to the "it's not my fault" people who want me to waive late fees and so on is "It is not my fault either." So unless you are going to send a reimbursement bill to the post office to have them pay you back for your late fees, don't bring it up to me. Stop sending the checks through the mail. You can call over the phone, pay online and we have a conveniently located office that is central for all four of our locations and service areas. Its not my problem either.

Comment

You should see what their problem is when you send them a $50 rate increase letter.
                    Chasing Perfection to catch Excellence

Comment

I hate those checks that need instructions on how to open them. LOL

We have the same issue with PO. You could drop a check off at the PO that is about 1/4 mile as the crow flies. It needs to go to Harrisburg or Allentown then back. WTH PO? No wonder you can't make money. Well that and the pre funding pension thing.
                      Joe Krezdorn
                      DAK Self Storage
                      Leesport, PA 19533
                      www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Crazy thing about mail. If I send a letter to someone in my city, it then goes about twenty to thirty miles out of town to get circulated back to my town. Does that make sense to you? Antiquated post office needs to keep up with the times.
                        Chuck G.
                        Content Developer & Social Media Manager
                        Online Storage Auction Services
                        iBid4Storage

Comment

Eugene/Springfield mail goes right to the old sorting warehouse. There is still a post office doing business in the front. They load the mail on to trucks and drive it north to Portland, Oregon and then is unloaded, sorted, loaded back on trucks and driven back to the same old sorting warehouse and then given to mail carriers to be delivered in the neighborhoods. Portland is about 90 miles away. The government at work.......WOW!

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                            Eugene/Springfield mail goes right to the old sorting warehouse. There is still a post office doing business in the front. They load the mail on to trucks and drive it north to Portland, Oregon and then is unloaded, sorted, loaded back on trucks and driven back to the same old sorting warehouse and then given to mail carriers to be delivered in the neighborhoods. Portland is about 90 miles away. The government at work.......WOW!
                            Same here. Mail from a town 20 miles west of us goes 90 miles from NC to Greenville SC, then back here to Asheville 70 miles away. Takes about 7 or 8 days usually for it to make the trip. The old horse mail probably did it quicker!

Comment

That is why I tell tenants that the rent is due on the first. That is not the day you should be dropping the check in the mail. Needs to be dropped in the mail at least 5-7 days earlier to get here in plenty of time. They can also pay on line or sign up for auto pay. They need to act like adults but for some that is asking quite a bit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MusicCity Gal
                                Reply to Introduction of Facility Owner in North Carolina
                                MusicCity Gal
                                Hi Benjamin! Welcome to the forum and Congratulations to you on your purchase. It is great to hear we are such a resource for you. Can't wait to hear YOUR stories in the near future....
                                Today, 12:42 PM
                              • pacnwstorage
                                Reply to Late fees/auction fees
                                pacnwstorage
                                The only fee, here in Oregon, that is limited is the amount for late fees. My lien fees can be what I want. I charge $50 to cut a lock, $15 for a cert letter, $50 for auction fees. I would bet that those fees may be heavily limited in states like Ca. Typically the lien process starts the very first...
                                Today, 12:26 PM
                              • habreu
                                Reply to Direct Mail...What Experiences Have You Had?
                                habreu
                                We tried this as vendors (not facility owners) and zilch. The only time I have had any result with this was years ago (in another neighborhood industry) when it included a magnet with our number they could put on the fridge - but it never paid for the cost.
                                Today, 12:22 PM
                              Working...
                              X