How to remove vinyl numbers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove vinyl numbers?

I need help! I am having a problem removing the vinyl numbers above the units. I want to replace them with new numbers. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove them?
    I have tried rubbing alcohol, Windex. Any help will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Amy_ISS; 20th April 2017, 07:15 PM. Reason: Typo in headline

Put a white sticky-backed label over the old number & add the new number over it. You should be able to find several sizes of labels at a place like OfficeMax. You can scrape or paint over later.

Comment

You can get battery powered heat blower guns that will soften them and then use a plastic or metal scraper. Brass scraper works well with hardly any scratches or a sharp edged plastic scraper. Or, like Stevedore said, cover with a label and put the new number on top.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Vinegar works on price tags and other sticky stuff. Not sure if it will work here.
        Amy Campbell
        Editor
        Inside Self-Storage
        amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

A heat gun is the best way to go if you don't want to cover them up with opaque new ones.

Comment

A citrus based product called "Goo-Gone" is what I've always used to remove bumper stickers. Should work on vinyl stickers.

Comment

We just use a hair dryer.
              Chasing Perfection to catch Excellence

Comment

Originally posted by Advantage IT View Post
                We just use a hair dryer.
                That's gonna be one long extension cord and if the cord is too long or too small over a certain length the resistance to electric flow is too great and will not work properly.

Comment

We have plugs every 60 feet but...I guess that probably would matter...
                  Chasing Perfection to catch Excellence

Comment

Ok, with plugs every 60 feet, if you use a large diameter extension cord, like what they use at construction sites for saws, then you would be ok. The larger diameter wire will flow current easier. If you use a skinny/flat in house extension cord the electrical resistance will be greater.

Comment

I found this on a Google search>>>>

https://blog.signwarehouse.com/a-bas...moval-options/
                      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

After the time spent with an orange cleaner and a plastic scraper on a couple of 15 year old, weather-beaten, stuck on vinyl unit numbers; and seeing the residual shadowing, I suggested a cleaner number solution to the owners along these lines. Cleaner, apply over old vinyl numbers and hides all oxidation from previous numbers being removed, and no scrape marks on the building.
                        2x4; w/1 # SizeConstructed of 1/16 thick plastic. Adhesive back is standard, pre-drilled holes upon request (screws not included). Add a pictogram symbol for an additional $.50/sign. Click Here for Type Styles Click Here for Additional Options Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.
                        Last edited by Gina6k; 21st April 2017, 02:39 PM.
                        Gina 6k
                        twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                        VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                        storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                        I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Sorry I did not say this right away, but thank you for all the information. We did end up using a heat source, it worked well. We still have some numbers to remove.
                          Last edited by allsecure; 16th May 2017, 12:01 PM.

Comment

We are going to be doing this soon. Where is the best place to get new numbers? We need to number over 200 units.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• mattherbaines
                              One of the Best storage units I have had experience with.
                              mattherbaines
                              I came across this secure and more facilitating storage solution with climate controlled storage units in Burlington that has it full perimeter fenced and high tech video surveillance system providing even boardroom rental service which has a table seating capacity of 12 people, a projector, Wi-Fi,...
                              We provide on-site storage units with controlled environments. The consistent temperatures prevent extreme elements from damaging your delicate materials.
                              Today, 08:31 AM
                            • pacnwstorage
                              Reply to Background checks?
                              pacnwstorage
                              Just before close at 6 PM I had a call from a young guy asking if I had ANY units. First red flag there. I asked if he knew what size he needed and when he needed it. He said I need it today! Second red flag! He said he needed an 8x10 or a 10x10. I have a couple open 5x10 units but no 10x10. I did not...
                              Yesterday, 09:59 PM
                            • Krypto
                              Reply to Background checks?
                              Krypto
                              Background checks, and credit checks, for a person to rent a storage unit, is a slippery slope for sure! I Pac has the best method, which is to say there are no vacancies, until he can tell that the person will not be a PITA. Everyone has a past, some complaints, maybe even some convictions. You cannot...
                              Yesterday, 09:27 PM
                            Working...
                            X