Announcement

Collapse

Holiday Closures

Due to office closures during the 2017 winter holidays, SST membership registration may take longer to process. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience. Happy holidays!
See more
See less

Monthly Maintenance Costs, And What Do You Do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monthly Maintenance Costs, And What Do You Do?

For those with existing facilities, what are you finding that you typically spend on monthly maintenance, if you don't mind sharing. If you could mention the # of units that could be helpful in understanding the maintenance # better.

Also, what do you typically do to spend that money? (Ex. replace door, replace light bulbs, fix certain issues, etc). What are those ongoing maintenance issues that cost you money each month (with the understandable issue that crops up here or there (gate issue for example)).

Trying to get a handle on what ongoing facility maintenance costs might be. Of course I can make some assumptions for our soon to be built facility, but it would be helpful to see what others are spending in with real world #'s and examples.

It would really help to know what kind of facility you have an amenities. Then I think people could more accurately answer. For instance, an indoor facility could have more maintenance needs than an outdoor drive up only facility. Climate controlled? RV storage? Etc... I think that will go a long way to getting you a more accurate answer. In my opinion of course

Comment

Originally posted by calebtthomas View Post
      It would really help to know what kind of facility you have an amenities. Then I think people could more accurately answer. For instance, an indoor facility could have more maintenance needs than an outdoor drive up only facility. Climate controlled? RV storage? Etc... I think that will go a long way to getting you a more accurate answer. In my opinion of course
      Sure Caleb. Building boat/RV with some traditional self storage (climate controlled). New facility, so there wouldn't be much of as for maintenance at the beginning, and even though answers specific to my facility would be helpful, I'd also appreciate to learn what maintenance to is needed to be handled across any facility in the industry. I'm a sucker for knowledge.

Of course facility type, facility size, age of facility, etc, will all factor into what might need to be done / spent on maintenance, so I'm interested in hearing about it all.

Comment

Originally posted by PKStorage View Post

Sure Caleb. Building boat/RV with some traditional self storage (climate controlled). New facility, so there wouldn't be much of as for maintenance at the beginning, and even though answers specific to my facility would be helpful, I'd also appreciate to learn what maintenance to is needed to be handled across any facility in the industry. I'm a sucker for knowledge.

Of course facility type, facility size, age of facility, etc, will all factor into what might need to be done / spent on maintenance, so I'm interested in hearing about it all.
        Thanks for that info. I completely understand, just wanted to make sure you got the primary answers you were looking for. Here at our facilities in Ohio which range from 35 years old to 1 year old. We go through a range of maintenance needs. The office takes little to no maintenance past the standard cleaning and beautifying. We do landscaping on the grounds including shrubs, grass cutting and snow removal in the winter. We try to seal the asphalt once a year in our conditions it is almost a requirement. For the units, we keep rodent packs in every unit. Once it is ripped open we replace it. We lubricate springs after every move-out and try to do all other units at least once a year or so. We use cylinder locks which means we have to replace latches over time from rust and corrosion, but that only happens to a few latches after several years. We make sure each unit has a good weather seal. Other than that the other stuff that comes up is unforeseen such as roof damage, lighting, and building damage like gutters. We do not have Climate controlled units but I would imagine humidity and A/C units need regular maintenance. Depenging on what you have for Boat/RV storage (Paved or Not, Covered, etc...) will also factor into your maintenance needs. I am sure that is not all that comes up, but off the top of my head, that is the main stuff. We do have to cut and replace latches because of issues, auctions etc.. and we have to replace broken springs. I would say that is the bulk of our maintenance here.

Comment

Originally posted by calebtthomas View Post

Thanks for that info. I completely understand, just wanted to make sure you got the primary answers you were looking for. Here at our facilities in Ohio which range from 35 years old to 1 year old. We go through a range of maintenance needs. The office takes little to no maintenance past the standard cleaning and beautifying. We do landscaping on the grounds including shrubs, grass cutting and snow removal in the winter. We try to seal the asphalt once a year in our conditions it is almost a requirement. For the units, we keep rodent packs in every unit. Once it is ripped open we replace it. We lubricate springs after every move-out and try to do all other units at least once a year or so. We use cylinder locks which means we have to replace latches over time from rust and corrosion, but that only happens to a few latches after several years. We make sure each unit has a good weather seal. Other than that the other stuff that comes up is unforeseen such as roof damage, lighting, and building damage like gutters. We do not have Climate controlled units but I would imagine humidity and A/C units need regular maintenance. Depenging on what you have for Boat/RV storage (Paved or Not, Covered, etc...) will also factor into your maintenance needs. I am sure that is not all that comes up, but off the top of my head, that is the main stuff. We do have to cut and replace latches because of issues, auctions etc.. and we have to replace broken springs. I would say that is the bulk of our maintenance here.
          Thanks for all of the info, much appreciated.

Comment

I never understood why you Seal Asphalt. Is this so it looks black?.... Asphalt sealing is not a thing in Canada.

What makes it a requirement? IS this strictly aesthetics?

Comment

Originally posted by mmidgley View Post
              I never understood why you Seal Asphalt. Is this so it looks black?.... Asphalt sealing is not a thing in Canada.

What makes it a requirement? IS this strictly aesthetics?
              In my opinion it is mostly aesthetics, but it does ensure the asphalt lasts a little longer and prevents it from cracking and damaging. So we try to do it every year. With the snow we have, which I am sure you get much more, when we plow it scrapes the sealant off and just makes it look bad.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X