Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Expropriation

Hi Everyone,

Our downtown location is being expropriated by the province to widen the adjacent highway. What's worse is that I have to mass vacate all 600 tenants by December 31, 2017 (merry Christmas). I am starting to formulate a plan to move them all out in the next 4 months, as I believe that very few people will choose to move out in December.

Has anyone else gone through something like this? Can anyone offer any practical advice?

I can imagine now the headache of all of this. Is the compensation from the province going to cover all this? I wonder how many people will just refuse to move and then have the province deal with them. I also wonder how many people will ask for compensation from you for their troubles. All you have to say is talk to the government about your troubles. If you have other locations I guess you could get them moved there. What a pain.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Wow. I'd get letters sent out ASAP. Then phone calls-definitely try to accommodate them at your other facility (do you have a truck?) and get the numbers of other local facilities if they don't want to move very far and let them know you're rec'cing them for this.
      Why are I-phone chargers not called 'apple juice'???

Comment

We had to submit fianacials from previous years, and the Province has agreed to pay an amount equal to our historic NOI.

We will offer our customers a free truck voucher if they move out or a full moving service if they relocate to another one of our facilities.

Unfortunately, they require an unoccupied building at the end of the year, so leaving a few stragglers isn'the an option.

I will do my best to retain all my staff, and we will be paying out a 3 month severance to those who we cannot keep.

It sucks to be me for the next five months.

Comment

Please keep us updated about all this. I am looking forward to some of your upcoming stories about all this and the tenants.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

mseguin Oh No!! I have never been through anything like this. Please keep this thread open with updates, situations that come up and solutions. I think this would be a GREAT article for ISS but you would need to track from beginning to end. What do you think? Amy_ISS ??
            Stephanie Tharpe
            Senior VP of Operations
            A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
            Nashville, TN
            http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
            www.tnssa.net

Comment

I'll keep you all updated.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
                Reply to "Double Rent"
                pacnwstorage
                See what I mean, it can never be her fault in this scenario. You have to be an "idiot" to not be a mind reader. Also, if she had wanted the door with the hole in it she would have jumped your ass for checking and said, "I ought to know what I was looking for, I am not an idiot! You don't...
                Yesterday, 06:04 PM
              • letsgosonics
                Reply to "Double Rent"
                letsgosonics
                Same thing, different topic, I had a lady yesterday chew me out because she was buying some doors from me off Facebook, and when she was ready to leave, I messaged her to make sure she was getting a certain door. It had a small hole at the bottom so I wanted to see if that's the one she wanted. Well...
                Yesterday, 05:28 PM
              • pacnwstorage
                Reply to Introduction of Facility Owner in North Carolina
                pacnwstorage
                Benjamin, you're gonna make me blush! When you first posted about that lady paying you said she paid with check. Nothing gets by Lisa T, and that is why she mentioned a bad check. The low paying tenants need to jump to the new street rate as soon as is legal. I had almost the same problem when I took...
                Yesterday, 05:18 PM
              Working...
              X