Storage Employee Vs. Disabled Woman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage Employee Vs. Disabled Woman

A disabled woman says she was assaulted by a storage employee after she became dizzy and stopped to rest on the sidewalk outside Stetson Commons Self Storage in Colorado. Rachel Flanary, who was accompanied by her service dog (wearing the vest, no less), began recording after the man hit her in the head. She posted the video to her Facebook page, where it's been shared extensively and viewed more than 11,000 times! It also made the local news. View the video and Rachel's post.

(I was curious and did a bit of digging about Rachel. Found this.)
    Last edited by Amy_ISS; 10th August 2017, 01:23 PM.
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Since she wasn't causing problems that I could see and she didn't appear to be drunk or drugged or combative, the guy could have given her some more time to get her thoughts together and then ask her to please move on from the private property. What I did notice is that the written story says hit in the head but she keeps saying he poked her and I never herd her say repeatedly or in the head. She didn't appear to be in any distress at all. The dog did not appear to be excited or fear for the woman. What I do have a problem with is every time I turn around someone has a "go fund me" page up and wants others to support them. Legitimate needs have been lost in the shuffle with scammers and entitled people. I have also never heard of invisible medical problems. She would fit right in here in Eugene, Oregon with all the other people with invisible ailments. Ain't life grand.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
      Since she wasn't causing problems that I could see and she didn't appear to be drunk or drugged or combative, the guy could have given her some more time to get her thoughts together and then ask her to please move on from the private property. What I did notice is that the written story says hit in the head but she keeps saying he poked her and I never herd her say repeatedly or in the head. She didn't appear to be in any distress at all. The dog did not appear to be excited or fear for the woman. What I do have a problem with is every time I turn around someone has a "go fund me" page up and wants others to support them. Legitimate needs have been lost in the shuffle with scammers and entitled people. I have also never heard of invisible medical problems. She would fit right in here in Eugene, Oregon with all the other people with invisible ailments. Ain't life grand.
      Pac this is so true! Hilarious also. I would like to know, what happened after this event. Did the police actually come? If so did they arrest anyone? It does appear that the man was being an A$$ here, all except for, any touching by ANYONE with ANYTHING is fine.

Comment

I am sure there are falsities from both parties in the police report as it doesn't appear she was hit in the head, but he was an outright A$$hole. There are many people out there looking to make a quick buck or scam the system. It is very sad, however, we do not know if it is legitimate or not. If she does have an invisible disability, because they do exist and are more common than people think, I am sure she is probably also looking to play on people's sympathy to get more donations and a lot of it is probably not going towards what she is saying it is for. Regardless of if she was disabled or fully bodied, what he did was wrong. Call the police...it is as simple as that. It would have saved him a lawsuit, his time and money and possibly his job if he was to lose it. You do not ever physically touch someone whether they are being a problem or not. If she were to attack him, it would have been a different story and of course he could defend himself. Plus, its not like she was disturbing his business, or lack there of, as it didn't look like there were many cars in the lot and plenty of spaces to park. He should have asked her to leave, gave her some time, come back out to ask again and advise the police were being called. He would have walked back in, called the police and probably before they arrived she would have been gone. Instead he made it into a spectacle and of course she is going to stay longer, or until the police come because now she has something to tell them. Just a poor situation all around.

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more, Caleb. Regardless of her disability, there was zero reason to treat another human being in this manner. The guy lost his cool. Perhaps she was sitting out there for an hour. Maybe she was even seeking donations from people driving by. It doesn't matter and it doesn't excuse his behavior. The video looks bad for him. Period.

Amy Campbell
          Editor
          Inside Self-Storage
          amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

In my answer I also said the guy could have handled it better but for all I know he gets others, besides this lady, that hang out and panhandle or who knows what, all the time in front of the place. If that is happening that could explain why he did what he did but that doesn't make it right. He over reacted to this situation and if in fact he does have problems then calling the police is the best thing to do. Depending on what may or may not have been said before the recording started, notice none of the physical accusations were shown, there could be, notice I said could be, more to all this. I think calling him an A$$hole without at least seeing the entire confrontation is a bit stiff. I won't go downtown in Eugene because the panhandlers are not passive at all. Most are very aggressive and sometimes physical to families, with kids, or even my big a$$ and I know that some of that can only go so far with me before I lash out. We all have a breaking point. I wish I could see all of this situation to draw a complete understanding of what took place.

Comment

It appears to me she was on the street front sidewalk at the facility which means she was technically on a public right of way. Even if she was inches into the "private property" this guy was as A$$! His demeanor was uncalled for, especially with her with a service animal clearly marked as such.

As for "invisible medical problems" I hope you and your loved ones never have one. My late mom suffered from debilitating arthritis of the spine and was in constant pain. Just because outwardly she appeared okay, didn't mean she was. She moved more slowly and deliberately to avoid aggravating her issues and at times I witnessed others around being impatient with her. If they only knew.

I have known people casually for years before I learned they have lifelong illnesses that impact them and they do their best to get through each day and not impact others as much as possible. You never know what people are living with or dealing with on a daily basis.

It's best to be kind and non-judgmental until given a reason to be otherwise. This guy had no reason to be so unkind. Even if she had screamed at him before she started recording. He just has that 'holier than thou' attitude. I have no use for this type of person. Until you have walked a mile in another's shoes...
              Gina 6k
              twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
              VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
              storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
              I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

If you watch her video, she explains more about her disability. And I'm with G ... you never really know what's going with another person.
                Amy Campbell
                Editor
                Inside Self-Storage
                amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

When she first talked about "invisible ailments" I didn't know what that was. Amy and Gina clarified things for me. I had a lady friend that suffered with fibromyalgia. I have enough older friends to be familiar with arthritis and I know even young people get that. When she talked about "invisible ailments" I thought it was another of the plethora of made up ailments like I hear about all the time for people that just want to smoke pot. An unseen ailment is just as bad as ones that can be seen. I get it. Sometimes I am too pessimistic about things but living in a town like Eugene where there is a hippie on every corner wanting money for drugs and booze, can do that. I think the biggest turn off for me about her was the go fund me page thing. I have a hard time with so many scams out there related to that site.

Comment

This reminds me of an unfortunate incident I encountered. I think I've told this before but here it goes again. I got fired from a job for allegedly discriminating against a disabled woman. She claimed I threw her out of the store and made xenophobic comments against her because she was a white woman. This complaint was supposedly made to corporate because I told the woman to leave our store because she got belligerent with me. She wanted me to do a transaction in a way I couldn't do. Told her that and she got angry. She pulled the okie doke by lying about the whole incident, claimed she had her deaf son with her, and that I hurled xenophobic comments against them and chased them out of the store. This woman waited two months to make a complaint and come to find out she didn't even call corporate. She called the manager at his house and told him...two months later! When he asked why she took so long to say anything, she stated she was in the process of looking into filing a lawsuit.

Well long story short...this woman was liar and most likely a racist. Like I said she pulled the okie doke. The manager stated he didn't even believe her story. This woman is disabled but I'm going to assume her disability is mental. Because physically she doesn't look like she has anything wrong with her. But for her to tell all these lies, clearly she has to mentally disturbed or a sociopath. Plus she and her husband are broke as joke because I saw them coming out of Money Tree the other day. So they were looking for a pay off. Which they will get in the form of karma.

Anyway, I definitely feel this guy overreacted and probably assumed she was a panhandler. That doesn't mean you need to be nasty to her and the sidewalk is public property. Get over yourself!

Comment

Sometimes this job allows us to see all walks of life in all kinds of situations. IMO, society is on a fast downhill slide with no end in sight. I am old enough that when the end comes, I will be already gone. Dealing with some of these people brings out the worst in some of us. I truly wish I could have seen the entire interaction between these two instead of the condensed version. By no means should that guy have picked up that flag and used it in any way at all. He also could have handled the tone way better. She didn't sound confrontational so I think his patience just got the better of him. He would have done much better by diffusing the situation and stepping back and just waiting her out. The dog was COOL though!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                        Sometimes this job allows us to see all walks of life in all kinds of situations. IMO, society is on a fast downhill slide with no end in sight. I am old enough that when the end comes, I will be already gone. Dealing with some of these people brings out the worst in some of us. I truly wish I could have seen the entire interaction between these two instead of the condensed version. By no means should that guy have picked up that flag and used it in any way at all. He also could have handled the tone way better. She didn't sound confrontational so I think his patience just got the better of him. He would have done much better by diffusing the situation and stepping back and just waiting her out. The dog was COOL though!!!!!!!!!
                        Seeing the whole situation might make things a little clearer, but not better. No matter what she did, barring physical assault or aggressive behavior (Which I think we can all agree she most likely didn't do and isn't really physically intimidating in any way), he handled the situation wrong. He never denied poking her with that flag pole, which is ridiculous on any count. He was wrong, and my ahole comment was definitely justified. Now should it come out that she was rude, or screamed and cussed, it wouldn't justify what he did or how he acted. I got threatened and cussed and intimidated on a regular basis, and you have to take it and smile and let the system work it out. You never take it into your own hands. Call the police!!! That is the ONLY intelligent thing to do.

Comment

Wow. This manager is a real piece of work.
                          IMHO, whether the sidewalk is public property or private property, this manager is 100% in the wrong.
                          If he didn't want to deal with it, why didn't he call 911 for emergency medical services?

For Stetson Commons Self Storage, this is a public relations disaster.

Bellwether Enterprises should issue a press release stating that the site manager in question had been immediately terminated and that they in no way support his conduct as regards this issue.

There are some stinks that never go away.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Krypto
                            Reply to Sick of Tenants Who Are Jerks
                            Krypto
                            This is so true Pac, you have got to teach them how you do business the right way, right out of the gate. Otherwise, this WILL happen again.
                            Today, 09:00 PM
                          • pacnwstorage
                            Reply to What is a typical managers schedule?
                            pacnwstorage
                            At last facility I had a relief lady one day a week on Saturday and I had Sat and Sun off. Here I work Tuesday thru Saturday and have 2 days off. I live on site at both places. Had my share of "people bothering me when off but that is the nature of the beast. I love the on site living quarters...
                            Today, 08:45 PM
                          • jodikay1
                            What is a typical managers schedule?
                            jodikay1
                            I'm wondering what a manager schedule looks like. Is it typical for a manager to have two days off in a row? Are they usually on-call and need to be within driving distance all the time? Would this be different if it was an on-site vs off-site manager? I read the salary survey report, but didn't...
                            Today, 08:29 PM
                          Working...
                          X