Announcement

Collapse

Holiday Closures

Due to office closures during the 2017 winter holidays, SST membership registration may take longer to process. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience. Happy holidays!
See more
See less

Hacked ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacked ?

Let me say first I am not 100% sure this happened but almost sure.

Thursday night I was looking at my DVR app on my cell phone to see if everyone was off the property and it said " Device Not On Line ". I went to the living room, looked at the monitor and checked the gate log while I restarted my phone. It still didn't work and I let the husband know and asked him to check into it. The monitor was showing all cameras so I wasn't too worried. Friday was busy & he didn't get a chance to look at it.

Saturday he started troubleshooting and couldn't figure out what was going on. He'd work on it for an hour. Stop from frustration. Go back to it and do it again. You could see the cameras but nothing was recording and he couldn't make it record. The settings were all changed back to default and he wasn't able to change anything to where it should have been. We weren't able to view any recordings that should have been stored for 40 something days.

Turns out that instead of saying Ch 01, CH 02, CH 03, CH 04 etc the cameras said HACKED, which is an odd word to say if it wasn't hacked. I have heard of hacking the school computers to change your grades, banks, credit cards, emails, Facebook, etc but WHY would someone want to hack the DVR to the property? I can only think that it was someone fooling around and just wanted to see if they could do it. The DVR is hooked up to the internet so the main office can view the cameras and we can view them too on our phones.

Has this happened to anyone? The company had never heard of something like this & sent us a new DVR that we hooked up today.
    The future depends on what you do in the present.

Once in a great while I will get a blank camera picture when all others work or the system will scroll pics without prompting it to. I just unplug the camera for 15 minutes or unplug power to the dvr and wait and plug back in and then all is fine and all defaults are still good and records as usual. Happens about once every 3-4 months. Never seen the word hacked before.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

He did call the company and they went through their troubleshooting and they unplugged it for 30 minutes and restarted. It just wouldn't let him change any settings and we couldn't pull up the recordings.

Comment

After you unplugged and restarted it all worked ok after that, right? What did the company say about the word, "hacked"?

Comment

No, it didn't work after unplugging & restarting. It came back on but still couldn't change the settings, record or view old recordings. They sent us a new one and asked us to send us the old one so they can take a look. They had never heard of such a thing but none of us can figure out how hacked got there unless someone put it there. They figure someone got in there. Can't figure out why though.

Comment

WOW! Maybe a nerd guy was following his wife around and wanted to watch her on the security cameras! LOL!

Comment

I assume that you didn't leave the password of the DVR set to the factory default when you installed your camera system? There's quite a few sites out there that let you scan for "open" video cameras and DVR's that are connected to the net, and let a person easily watch what's on them, or hack into them. There's been many stories where people have found out that their "nannycam" in the nursery was being accessed from outside without them knowing.

Comment

Well, that's not unsettling at all.
                I was born to be wild, but only until about 9:00 pm.

Comment

Just realized my dvr still has the default password. Changing now.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                    Just realized my dvr still has the default password. Changing now.
                    We're getting a new one today. I'll make sure we change up the password.
                    I was born to be wild, but only until about 9:00 pm.

Comment

I would make sure that you have the latest firmware installed on the dvr. Its my understanding that dvrs/nvrs manufactuered by Dahua have been hacked this week. Dahua is a large Chinese manufacture that supplies many American camera brands, so even if the brand might be different you still might have a Dahua product.
                      security cameras, surveillance systems, ip security cameras, cvi security cameras

Comment

Sounds like that's exactly what happened to the OP's DVR. They got hit by the automated program that looked all over the internet for these DVRs and zapped every one it found. Nothing more than digital vandals destroying things just because they can.

Comment

Of course, after stating what I said earlier in this thread, one of my cameras was blank this morning when I came in to the office. I unplugged it and waited 30 minutes. Plugged back in and now works fine. If I hadn't responded to this thread I wouldn't have had that happen. Damn those digital vandals.

Comment

Well S***
                            Can I say that here?

We had the default password like many others. When we figured out the problem we called and called and let the company know what happened & they sent us a replacement DVR. Got the new DVR set up yesterday, changed the password to a difficult one & and was recording fine. HaPpY DaNcE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the old DVR packaged up today at 2:15pm and husband took it to Fed Ex. When hubby came home he looked at the DVR and same as last week...the first 4 channels said HACKED. What the heck? HACKED again? Indeedy.

Changing the password didn't help us the 2nd time. We were connected to the internet and they had some sort of back door. Call your DVR people because I am sure that they know what is going on and can guide you.

In the words of pacnwstorage Damn those digital vandals.
                            Last edited by Iamkathleenj; 28th September 2017, 05:13 PM.

Comment

You can think S*** very loudly or even say it loudly to yourself but typing it here is done like you did it. Someone with a snowflake mentality may be offended with it but I don't care.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X