Announcement

Collapse

Holiday Closures

Due to office closures during the 2017 winter holidays, SST membership registration may take longer to process. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience. Happy holidays!
See more
See less

extra security measures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extra security measures

Recently we have had some unsuccessful attempts to get into some of our units. We are pretty sure the unwelcome trouble was brought on the property late at night by customers with our smallest unit.. They themselves were not the problem, but their guests were. We have gotten rid of the guests and the customer allowing them access. Now that we have we would like to take some extra precautions such as locking the doors that lead to our indoor units at 9:00pm, when our gate no longer allows access. We have many security features in place however would like an extra deterrent. Any suggestions are welcome. We have great hd cameras that record 24/7. We have on-site management and a security detail that comes through every night twice at different times. good fencing around the perimeter. A single controlled and monitored access gate. Our main building is alarmed and well locked after hours. We use great disc locks which we provide to our customers. Our lighting is acceptable though I would like to put up more outdoor lights. My ideas are installing deadbolts keyed on both sides, on all of our outside access doors and locking them after my last walk through. Possibly providing security with a key to walk through and re-lock.(not the nicest area) Then reopening them in the morning. Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

How about a key-less door entry gadget??

In my previous employment, we did have these keyless entry door codes on our Climate Control building.

Last edited by lady5563; 19th October 2017, 10:37 AM.
    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

lady5563 We use those as well. Great suggestion.
      Stephanie Tharpe
      Senior VP of Operations
      A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
      Nashville, TN
      http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
      www.tnssa.net

Comment

Thank you ladies. I don't think that will solve anything as I said people who belonged here brought these people on to the property. I think i would prefer a simple deadbolt lock keyed alike on both sides of the door. My main thought is to restrict after hours access to those doors.

Comment

Keyed to get OUT???

Smells like a fire hazard!

You local fire inspector, would probably fail you for that.
          Check in to it BEFORE buying anything!
          Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

A human, should always be able to leave where ever they are, always! Without having to know a key, or a code. Regardless of how they entered.

Comment

A dead bolt would be easy. Surely you have a known locksmith in the area to call. And, yes, locked out but not locked in.
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Thank you all. I think something similar to our fire exit door at one end of each building will be a good choice. Locking outside push button exit.The rest just deadbolts. Thank you again! Just to tell you my original idea was to do a sweep of the buildings before manually locking each night ( I already do this walk-thru normally, so no real added work). I am confident that I would never lock anyone in, and they would only be locked out after our gates don't allow property access, and before they again open 9pm-6am. To fit into safety standards, I will maintain one safe exit in each building.

Comment

I will also put up signage to express which doors still open after hours, and a phone to call just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Tercelet1 View Post
                    To fit into safety standards, I will maintain one safe exit in each building.
                    I'm no fire marshall, but I believe ALL posted exits need to function all the time in case of emergency. You can't lock them all down except one. Additionally, they probably all need to be ADA compliant. Think of those emergency only exits in the back of retail stores that always have the accessible panic bar hardware. A deadbolted door, even if it can be unlocked by twisting a knob, is probably not an acceptable fire exit.

Comment

We are talking about them being locked only during hours that we are already completely closed. "stores lock the doors when they are closed." There is no legal property access (the gate is locked to all customers at that point). They are not fire exits.We have our fire/ADA compliant things handled. No people are supposed to be in the buildings at that time, I will have gone through the building to make sure they are clear before locking them. if there are people that happen to get in, they will have had to break in to get in. also leaving a way out. I am just simply talking about having them locked after hours as an extra layer of security.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X