Announcement

Collapse

Holiday Closures

Due to office closures during the 2017 winter holidays, SST membership registration may take longer to process. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience. Happy holidays!
See more
See less

Collection Prevention

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collection Prevention

Great article on ways operators can prevent tenant delinquencies. What strategies would you add?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

She talked about new tenants stop listening when you start to go over the negatives of not paying on time and the end result of all the fees and auction process. At the end of the article there was ANOTHER form to offer. I have already had tenants complain of the length of the lease and all the paperwork is "like buying a house". I just tell them when the rent is due and when the late fee is added and that there is no credit of late fees and unit/gate is locked out. I never bring up an auction, unless asked, because my pre-lien and lien notices talk of that and is also on the lease for THEM to read. Plus I have signage posted in the office and at the gate signs. Great article, I just do it differently. How about, they gotta sign up for auto pay.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I agree with PAC that I would not offer that additional form. It kind of leads the inmates to run the asylum in my opinion. (stole from PAC). One of my manager's does it very simply: She says "By signing here you are agreeing that I can put your unit on Storage Wars". Believe it or not, very effective.
      Stephanie Tharpe
      Senior VP of Operations
      A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
      Nashville, TN
      http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
      www.tnssa.net

Comment

I like that. I mean, how many times do we all get asked by a tenant if we do auctions like on Storage Wars? When I am showing a prospective tenant the facility and the unit, most of the time the conversation gets steered toward security. I always throw in that the "inmates do not run the asylum" here. That always gets a laugh and if they laugh they will remember why I said it.

That Storage Wars comment is going to be used all the way over here on the other coast.

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post
          I "By signing here you are agreeing that I can put your unit on Storage Wars". Believe it or not, very effective.
          I will have to remember and use this phrase too!

I love it!!!

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

We all have quick and catchy things we say to get a point across. I try to make myself and someone else laugh, every day.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X