Cold Weather

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Weather

Snow and ice bring a number of challenges to operators. What preparations have you made at your site to deal with freezing temperatures? Have you altered your office hours or made other staffing changes? Are tenants still accessing units or have you seen a slowdown due to the cold?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

WE always lay in some ice melt for the gates and walkways but sometimes we don't need it. Only need if have ice or snow and they are not here that often. The gate traffic is slower now that the holiday decorations are put away and with it getting dark quicker the traffic slows down.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Well on Friday last week it snowed a good 6 inches, and was a high in the single digits. And I was still putting finishing touches on my last solar system working outside.

This last weekend we had highs of a brisk -15 before windchill. Besides the skid loader not wanting to start, no cold or snow related slow downs or break downs to this point.

Comment

Must be kind of tricky up on a roof with snow and wet. Be freakin' careful.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Roof work was all done already. Just cold on the ground.

Comment

On our next complex I'm going to do heated concrete under the gate in the driveway. Blowing snow drifts can really mess with the IR sensors. We had 2 new move ins yesterday and our high was only 8* so were holding our hours. Lots of coffee!

Comment

We had temps of -45 with the windchill for a week . Believe it or not we had 3 move outs of larger units and one move in . The phone was crazy busy on Dec 27th at temps of almost -50 with the wind ; people looking for storage . Iíve had days where itís blizzarding and brutally cold and have it be busier then some summer days . YES - I hate this weather .

Comment

We've had quite a bit of snow over the past two weeks, enough that the front gate pushes it up against the curb and then locks itself open because it thinks it has hit something. Will likely design a "snow push" space for this with the next facility. Lot has also iced up a few times, but we've been managing it with hand-spread de-icer and had one commercial treatment come in to do a spray before the last big snowfall - it REALLY helped block the ice from forming. Also, frozen locks and doors, we use a small butane torch on the locks - works like a charm - and the doors can just be tapped open with a boot toe. Noticed a big slow down in move-ins, but quite a few move-outs.

Comment

We now have a name for this crazy weather: bomb cyclone. Even the South is being slammed by snow and bitter cold!
                  Amy Campbell
                  Editor
                  Inside Self-Storage
                  amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Quick question, do you shovel out the tenants doors or is it the responsibility of the tenant? We are new to storage this year with a small facility under 100 units. Previous owners always shoveled out each door. As such, we did the same with the last 14 inches of snow we had. Some units had 5 foot high drifts. With that being said, I noticed many facilities in my area did not shovel out units. What is your policy? If it's tenants responsibly, do you have a statement in in the lease?

Comment

We do not, it is the tenants responsibility. But when we plow we try to get as close to the door as possible.
                      Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

I have a professional plow the place, and he is instructed to stay a foot away from buildings to not risk hitting them. I go through with a large snowblower and ride it along the foundation, blowing the snow in the center of the driveways where he can pick it up or it will melt faster.

I do not clear out the snow in the door recesses, but I do tell clients that I will come and do it for them if given 24 notice. No one has ever asked. If I am doing a new rental I clear it out and throw down a little salt in the area (normally I do not use any salt).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
                          Reply to Tenants on Autopay
                          pacnwstorage
                          New tenants must sign up on auto pay but can pay a different way if they pay before the auto pay hits.

letsgosonics, my auto pay has the capability to delay the auto pay up to 5 days for tenants that receive a check later than the first. It would normally be on the 1st right at midnight...
                          Yesterday, 09:56 PM
                        • Jeanette M
                          Reply to Employee Discipline
                          Jeanette M
                          My assistant is fantastic and besides reminding ourselves sometimes that we need to work as well as chat, there are no issues there. We get everything done but we have a great time, too.

I have had to let several contractors and/or maintenance people go. It wasn't fun and in each case,...
                          Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                        • Jeanette M
                          Reply to Tenants on Autopay
                          Jeanette M
                          I appreciate those that are on autopay but won't force anyone to sign up. The boss man wants us to go to no cash payments at all but in this area, it just isn't feasible. And we make a lot off of late fees, to boot. As long as they pay, I don't really care how.
                          Yesterday, 09:45 PM
                        Working...
                        X