Need help with a unit door?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a unit door?

I am having a problem with one of the unit doors. It is hard to open and was stuck shut, I was able to get it open and when I did I found this piece on the floor.. I looked up at the top left and it looks like a piece is missing. I called our local overhead garage door company and they said they thought we needed a new door. I do not think so. (they often come out and I still have the same problem) The door itself is in good condition. I am attaching pictures of what I see. I would be so gratefull if any one knows what the piece is and how I can fix it. Any advice would be great. I learn so much from this site.

That piece on the floor is part of the cotter pin from above that is missing at the end of the roller shaft. That U-shaped saddle looks beat to hell and back. Why it is pinched instead of staying in a "U" shape? That is where my maint man always puts a bed of grease at for the roller to set in. It also looks like the shaft end and maybe more of the shaft is bent and that is why the cotter pin has been rubbed in two and that section dropped to the floor. You in fact may need at least a new shaft assembly that the top of the door attaches to all across the top at different spots. If you have a spare door, installing that should fix the problem. This may have all started when someone hit the door at the shaft area or something fell against it all and then the door was forced open.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
      That piece on the floor is part of the cotter pin from above that is missing at the end of the roller shaft. That U-shaped saddle looks beat to hell and back. Why it is pinched instead of staying in a "U" shape? That is where my maint man always puts a bed of grease at for the roller to set in. It also looks like the shaft end and maybe more of the shaft is bent and that is why the cotter pin has been rubbed in two and that section dropped to the floor. You in fact may need at least a new shaft assembly that the top of the door attaches to all across the top at different spots. If you have a spare door, installing that should fix the problem. This may have all started when someone hit the door at the shaft area or something fell against it all and then the door was forced open.
      Thank you now that I know it is called a cotter pin and that the shaft may be bent I have information that will help. Do you know who I could order a shaft from? The door is a Roll Rite door, what I hear is they are out of business. I am also talking to the guy from overhead garage door, so this info gives me an understanding. I do have a spare door now to get way back into the unit to measure it. It is at the far end of a 10X26.
      We are in Yuma AZ and the sand and dust is a continual problem. If we use grease the sand and dust adheres to it. Someone said car oil in place of grease.

Comment

Boy it took a lot to bend that shaft. You can get a replacement shaft or drum from Janus International lees than a $100. Their spring is enclosed in the drum itself. I would say your curtain and rails are probably okay. Janus would need you rough opening size and ship it to you.
        Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

Car oil reacts to gravity and runs off. Grease does not run off. Every time you have a move out clean out the old grease and replace with new. The amount of dirt and sand that gets in there in minimal compared to the damage caused by not doing anything. Things like WD40 and oil all go away and run down so that is a band aid. Do whatever you want. If the door that has a problem is the same width door you can just hang the whole door which would be easier than disassembly to just get the roller assembly. If the door is a different width the roller assembly could still be the same length so make sure to measure the door and the length of the roller.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Scott View Post
            Boy it took a lot to bend that shaft. You can get a replacement shaft or drum from Janus International lees than a $100. Their spring is enclosed in the drum itself. I would say your curtain and rails are probably okay. Janus would need you rough opening size and ship it to you.
            I am not familiar with the Janus set up because I also have Roll Rite doors. What is this drum you speak of that the spring is inside of? Is that a safety step to enclose the spring?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Scott View Post
              Thank you for the information. I am going to check the extra door I have and then check with Janus. Do you know if their shaft works on a Roll Rite door? I going to do some research about how it was bent.

Comment

Their shaft does work on roll rite doors, we use them here. They are also way easier to install. Janus is great though you should expect a short turn over time.... They take their time!

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post

I am not familiar with the Janus set up because I also have Roll Rite doors. What is this drum you speak of that the spring is inside of? Is that a safety step to enclose the spring?
                  They have the spring enclosed in the drum and in grease in the drum. They have a life time warranty on the spring. The curtain screws to the drum in about 3 places (sheet metal screws) then you have a ratchet on the side to adjust the tension on the spring for up and down. Easy to hang but takes two people to do one on each side. I have done a bunch of them. You know maybe in the pictures the shaft broke. Never seen one like that
                  Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

I guess a broken shaft is likely. Doesn't look good at all. Broken and under spring pressure could also be a reason for the U shaped saddle to look damaged but you would think the saddle would be pushed out instead of looking pinched. I hope when this is handled that the actual pic shows a reason and that all works out ok.

Comment

Yes and if that shaft is under pressure whoever removes it needs to be very careful. about kick back, etc, etc
                      Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

"We are in Yuma AZ and the sand and dust is a continual problem. If we use grease the sand and dust adheres to it. Someone said car oil in place of grease."

We are a little North of you, but we have lots of dirt and grit that get in our doors too. What we use is garage door lube, the brand I think is Clopay, we get ours from Home Depot. You do have to clean the doors every time someone moves out, and re-lube the spring and the assembly, but it makes a huge difference! We had several doors we thought we were going to have to replace that just needed some TLC. Maybe that will help your other doors.
                        "I don't understand your specific kind of crazy but I do admire your total commitment to it!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dave Scott
                          Reply to Online Rentals - Amazing Results !
                          Dave Scott
                          We just started last month renting on line and it is working good so far. We have Kiosks and there is not a lot of difference But you know nothing is perfect. I guess you could call it the future.
                          Yesterday, 05:36 PM
                        • evansr
                          Reply to Post date move in
                          evansr
                          We use storEDGE and have been asking for the feature since 2014 when we switched from sitelink stand alone. We were told that they would be adding the feature soon, and that has yet to ever happen. We offer RV Storage, and so say if a customer comes in on the 15th but won't need it until the 1st, we...
                          Yesterday, 05:13 PM
                        • Bighank
                          Reply to The Lost Art of Customer Service - Have we forgotten?
                          Bighank
                          My wife and I ran a property down in Dallas. We were right down town in a very bad part of Dallas. Lots of transients and drugs were rampant. The reason I mention all of that is it did not make a difference to us. When we left one my homeless people that I had to bicker with fairly often came up...
                          Yesterday, 03:11 PM
                        Working...
                        X