Goodbye 2016. Hello New Opportunities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye 2016. Hello New Opportunities

What are you looking forward to in the new year, professionally or personally?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Professionally I am going to be up against my own numbers from the last 2 years. Mostly full at all times and year end totals are the best ever here. Owner has assured me that he knows and expects there will be fluctuations and unless he can wave a magic wand I am maxed on available units.

Personally, try to stay as healthy as I can because I am not done yet. This year of being alone at Thanksgiving and the upcoming Christmas time has really hit me where it hurts. After my wife passed I wasn't even close to ready to try again for 4+ years since she passed. Over the last year+ I have tried to be more open to new relationships. Being a curmudgeon can make it tougher but I will press forward and be more open. Alone sucks. Drives to the coast alone sucks. Eating out alone sucks. Gotta fix that.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Professionally, I will be achieving my CB, Certified Bookkeeper, designation and advancing my career in that field. I may be looking into getting my Masters in Accounting and becoming a CPA. I look forward to continuing in this new and incredible industry we all work in and achieving numbers for this young company that they didn't expect to hit for years to come.

Personally, I am looking forward to what 3 brings for my son and us as a family. He will turn 3 on the 5th of January and he is already an incredible young man. Also, we are looking to buy our first home, and possibly try and have a second little one. The future looks bright for me, if I am going to put in the work and reap the benefits.

Comment

Professionally, I am hoping my zero marketing budget efforts will start to pay off by filling empty units. I am also hoping the owners allow me to help in marketing efforts for our main business. I wear many hats here and am willing to wear as many more allowed to break away from "old school" ways of doing business. Growth here is very limited but I have made it known I want to be here for many many more years.

Personally 2017 is a big year for my family. My son turns 18 on Dec 16 (I know still 2016); he is a Senior at Canton McKinley & fingers crossed will graduate in May. I will turn 40 in February (no idea where the past 10 yrs went!); June 30th both of my parents will retire from the jobs; My dad will have 48 yrs with his company (been with them since he was 18!). Then there is no timeline for when the next thing happen, but my parents will be selling or auctioning my childhood home and either buying a motor home & traveling the country or they will live with my sister in The Woodlands, TX for a few months before hitting the road. This will be hard for me as I have always been very close to my dad & not having them close by will be hard for me! They still have a few things to iron out yet and have only told my sister & I. But as for now, this will be my last Christmas in their home of 35 years.
        Canton, OH - Hall of Fame City

Comment

Originally posted by KellyW View Post
          Professionally, I am hoping my zero marketing budget efforts will start to pay off by filling empty units. I am also hoping the owners allow me to help in marketing efforts for our main business. I wear many hats here and am willing to wear as many more allowed to break away from "old school" ways of doing business. Growth here is very limited but I have made it known I want to be here for many many more years.

Personally 2017 is a big year for my family. My son turns 18 on Dec 16 (I know still 2016); he is a Senior at Canton McKinley & fingers crossed will graduate in May. I will turn 40 in February (no idea where the past 10 yrs went!); June 30th both of my parents will retire from the jobs; My dad will have 48 yrs with his company (been with them since he was 18!). Then there is no timeline for when the next thing happen, but my parents will be selling or auctioning my childhood home and either buying a motor home & traveling the country or they will live with my sister in The Woodlands, TX for a few months before hitting the road. This will be hard for me as I have always been very close to my dad & not having them close by will be hard for me! They still have a few things to iron out yet and have only told my sister & I. But as for now, this will be my last Christmas in their home of 35 years.
          That is an emotional roller coaster. You have so much to be grateful for and I can tell you are. It will be bittersweet, but good for your parents! It's not often that we hear about people being able to retire when they are supposed to so I am glad to hear and wish them, you and your whole family the best.

Also, I hope the company your work for trusts you because those of us who are willing to do the work regardless of being asked to or not should not be held back from advancing a business we have stake in. The better the business does, the better we do, so we are going to give it our all and we just want to be able to provide positive results. I am thankful to have a company that took a chance on me, but has listened to all of my suggestions, some of which did not pan out well, but were calculated risks. In the end, we are still making positive progress so what do they have to lose. I hope your company can see this and gives you the freedom you need to do your job well!

Comment

I've been here 4 years and though I really like San Diego, the missing of my kids is pulling on me more and more. I don't know what is going to happen in 2017.
            An apple a day keeps ANYONE away if you throw it hard enough.

Comment

Professionally I hope to keep the units filled and the delinquent rents down.

Personally - this was a ruff year health wise for me. I hope next year will be much better.

Janice

Comment

Originally posted by Maxi-Space View Post
                Professionally I hope to keep the units filled and the delinquent rents down.

Personally - this was a ruff year health wise for me. I hope next year will be much better.

Janice
                I don't see you in the Newbie Lounge so I will welcome you to the forum here, Maxi-Space.

Comment

This year I jumped into the Self Storage industry with both feet. The owner I believe is pleased with the profit he has seen and will expand in this area. I am looking forward to building and managing and filling another self storage.
                  One of the reasons I took this job on was to be forced to be outside walking around as a way to be more physically fit. I am walking more, I am hoping for the more physically fit part in 2017, but will be okay if all I do is maintain the health I have.

Comment

Originally posted by bwmary View Post
                    This year I jumped into the Self Storage industry with both feet. The owner I believe is pleased with the profit he has seen and will expand in this area. I am looking forward to building and managing and filling another self storage.
                    One of the reasons I took this job on was to be forced to be outside walking around as a way to be more physically fit. I am walking more, I am hoping for the more physically fit part in 2017, but will be okay if all I do is maintain the health I have.
                    Agree. I walk more now than I have ever done at any job.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• QuickTrip
                      Reply to Pie in the Sky
                      QuickTrip
                      Thank you for your encouraging words! They helped.
                      Yesterday, 10:45 PM
                    • pacnwstorage
                      Reply to Pie in the Sky
                      pacnwstorage
                      Depending on where it is on your body that you kick yourself, that could be a neat trick. I mean, I can kick my foot or my hand but anywhere else and I am at a loss on how to do that. I make light of things because I do that a lot if I make a mistake. I used to beat myself up over it, especially when...
                      Yesterday, 10:24 PM
                    • QuickTrip
                      Reply to Pie in the Sky
                      QuickTrip
                      Thanks. A refund check was written, but the manager saw it because of my note and called the tenant. The tenant lied, however, nothing written in his notepad about error, and error wasn't corrected by the time I saw it. The manager said it wasn't my fault but said to leave matters of question to her...
                      Yesterday, 09:02 PM
                    Working...
                    X