Problems with the USPS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with the USPS

I wonder if any one else has trouble with the post office delivering mail/certified?

What made me think of this is that in today's mail was a certified letter returned as "Unclaimed/Unable to Forward". That in itself isn't unusual. But I mailed this particular lien notice on November 29th of last year! And I'm just now getting it back!

This happens frequently. I went to their website earlier today to track several certified letters that I mailed earlier this month and haven't yet received any info on them. I noticed on the tracking record that the letters were both delivered to the customer's local post office in California for delivery, then they were sent to Reno NV, then they were sent back to the local post office. The customer has nothing to do with Reno, NV, and I have no idea why they made a trip there.

The worst was a deposit refund check that I mailed to a previous tenant and received back as undeliverable more than a year after I mailed it!!!

It's kind of scary to think that I depend on them to notify people before I sell their property.
    In California.

I get the same issue as well! It always gets received on time if its a correct address but when its not....lord knows when I'm getting it back.

Comment

Id have to say that the Canadian post isn't typically like that. We get them returned within a few weeks.

Comment

Can you say "Government Worker"? I have had the same problem and am very glad that I keep my certified receipts when I send them so I can prove that I did my part.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

The huge delay in receiving back un-delivered certified mail was a huge problem here too.

We had stop doing return receipt requested which helped a little bit.

A couple a years ago we stopped doing certified mail and went to first class with certificate of mailing. We do individual receipts instead of the book. We have found a lot better ratio of letters being delivered now.
          --
          Ron

http://advancedministorage.com
          http://zolezzistorage.com
          http://laws.stocktonstorage.net

email ron at advancedministorage.com

Comment

We just had some thing happen today. I asked the mailman when he came in why this happens. He told me they leave a notice on the address provided, hold the certified at the post office for 30 days, then if unclaimed return it to us. He said most people get the notice on their door or mailbox and throw it away. Said this particular person still lives there, which is what is usually the case. Interesting to say the least. Why it sometimes takes a lot longer to get notices back I have no idea. All you can do is follow state law (which here doesn't specify the person has to sign the notice, just that you have to send it to the last known address). We auction based on state law, no more no less regardless of what happens with the certified mail.

Comment

You cannot go wrong if you follow the state statutes to the letter. It is the best way to C-Y-A. Also, document every step along the way of any attempts to contact the tenant via phone, text, mail or email. At last facility I had a guy show up saying he never got the cert letter I sent him. I had the returned receipt and pulled out the original lease. The signatures matched completely but he said he didn't sign for it.

Comment

Lately, we have had issue after issue with the postal service. I think our problem is on the local level. We live in Small Town USA (Figurative) and we will get mail sometimes a month late. These are checks and important bills that get delivered when they finally get around to it. I wish this wasn't the case, but sometimes we will mail notices on the same day; one local and the other to southern FL and the one in FL will get it a full week+ before some get it. What a shame!

Comment

I have had so many issues with USPS it is insane! Last year I sent out Lien Sale Notices & only received back 3 out of 5. I was able to go on to their site to track and printed out what the status was. They were both undelivered. It now takes 2 days to send/receive in the same city. Our mail gets collected & sent to Cleveland to be sorted. Anything that is going local comes back down to be distributed locally.

We've had huge delays in receiving payments from some customers (not all). Recently mail came in 5 out of 8 pieces were yellow stickered Unable to Forward (no address). The items had our correct address, we have been in this location since 2009. There is no forwarding on file. The owner went to the local office & was told oh well sometimes things get mislabeled and your local carrier is to remove that before delivering.

In a personal aspect I had ordered a piece of clothing & the girl shipped it to my home via USPS. Now I have ordered all over the country for the past year various consultants for this company. I never received a tracking # which was a red flag at first. After a week of not receiving anything (3 day priority mail) I come to find out USPS LOST my item. This is a clothing company that you order from the consultant's inventory not out of a catalog. So the item I specifically chose I don't get. She is sending me another pair that I may not even like (a whole other complaint lol)

Canton, OH - Hall of Fame City

Comment

We had sent ourselves a certified letter with return receipt requested just to our supervisor at that time the problem, it got returned to us with a yellow sticker saying un-deliverable..... I know I have a picture of it around here somewhere, I will post it when I find it.
                    --
                    Ron

Comment

Here in Eugene, Or., like KellyW said, we had a very large distribution center close down as a cost cutting attempt by the USPS. So local mail here does go there but is then loaded on to trucks and driven to Portland, Or. and sorted and then trucked back and then sorted out to the different delivery centers and then, after all that time, the actual mailman gets it to go out on the route for delivery. I tell people that to mail a rent payment on the 7th does not guarantee it will get here before I close on the 9th and get posted. Then the late fee hits at midnight. They complain but I remind them the rent is due on the 1st and is late on the 2nd and even later on the 3rd and so on. Their choice to drop in mail so late is not my problem, especially when they can go to the web site and pay there.

Comment

I used to do business on eBay selling Japanese Anime DVD's, US Mint State Quarters and misc. digital devices. I never had a problem with Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. It was convenient for me because I worked less than two blocks from the Post Office & could make runs on my lunch break. Perhaps they have gone downhill since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevedore View Post
                          I used to do business on eBay selling Japanese Anime DVD's, US Mint State Quarters and misc. digital devices. I never had a problem with Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. It was convenient for me because I worked less than two blocks from the Post Office & could make runs on my lunch break. Perhaps they have gone downhill since then.
                          Side Note: Do you still deal in Anime?

Comment

Originally posted by Stevedore View Post
                            Priority Mail is not the same as Certified, with certified, they leave a notice if their is no one to sign.

They do that once a week for a month. Then the letter may stay at the post office for another month giving the tenant a chance to retrieve it from the post office. Some locations may hold the letters longer. It might be better now that they do everything electronically, however we will not go back.
                            --
                            Ron

Comment

Nope. I'm not the only one. LOL. It's just maddening!

I see in California law... "The notice shall be sent by certified mail, postage prepaid, or by regular first-class mail if the owner obtains a certificate of mailing indicating the date the notice was mailed."

That sounds less expensive and I don't have to rely on anything else from the USPS.
                              In California.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Krypto
                                Reply to Sick of Tenants Who Are Jerks
                                Krypto
                                This is so true Pac, you have got to teach them how you do business the right way, right out of the gate. Otherwise, this WILL happen again.
                                Today, 09:00 PM
                              • pacnwstorage
                                Reply to What is a typical managers schedule?
                                pacnwstorage
                                At last facility I had a relief lady one day a week on Saturday and I had Sat and Sun off. Here I work Tuesday thru Saturday and have 2 days off. I live on site at both places. Had my share of "people bothering me when off but that is the nature of the beast. I love the on site living quarters...
                                Today, 08:45 PM
                              • jodikay1
                                What is a typical managers schedule?
                                jodikay1
                                I'm wondering what a manager schedule looks like. Is it typical for a manager to have two days off in a row? Are they usually on-call and need to be within driving distance all the time? Would this be different if it was an on-site vs off-site manager? I read the salary survey report, but didn't...
                                Today, 08:29 PM
                              Working...
                              X