Announcement

Collapse

Holiday Closures

Due to office closures during the 2017 winter holidays, SST membership registration may take longer to process. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience. Happy holidays!
See more
See less

Removing Grease from unit floor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Grease from unit floor

Hello I'm looking for recommendations on cleaning a unit floor that a car was stored in. This is a concrete floor that had concrete sealer put on when it was poured. It's a combination of grease/oil and we have tried everything to clean it. Has anyone ever used a epoxy floor paint and have any luck? I need to get this cleaned or covered so that the unit will not stink of grease/oil.

Hi! I would recommend kitty litter if you haven't tried that. I have never tried the floor paint before. What about baking soda? I use that on grease stains on my clothes. Different than concrete, but worth a shot!

Comment

Use carb cleaner and/or brake cleaner in a spray can. Get several. Brake cleaner will likely work best and it smells like a dry cleaners store. Works really great for grease/oil in a carpet. The brake clean will evaporate quickly so be ready with a scrub brush and maybe even a metal bristle brush. Carb cleaner will last longer. Ask at an auto parts store. They deal with oil/grease cleaners all the time. From now on, if you know a vehicle is stored, they have to leave a refundable deposit and also have to put something under the vehicle to absorb any problems. If they say no, then they can walk.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We use dawn detergent and cat litter. It works really well.
        Chasing Perfection to catch Excellence

Comment

I use Gumout Carb Cleaner because it is generally the cheapest/biggest can at the hardware/auto parts store. I also get heavy duty scouring pads, I have both and hand held holder and one I can put a broom stick on. Then use shop towels to clean it up. As Pac said the stuff can evaporate quick so sometimes you need to spray area again when it comes time to wipe it up.

If there is a pile of crud I usually scrap it with a shovel first. To get rid of build up first. Alternatively you can take powered laundry detergent and and apply directly to oil spots and use a scouring pad and a little water.

Comment

Dawn Dish soap and Wire scrub brush.

Comment

Thanks for the help!! I will give them a try!!

Comment

I buy the economy lacquer thinner in 5 gallon containers. That will last me for many many years and will work as good, maybe better than carb cleaner and brake clean and be cheaper in the long run. I transfer it into a gallon metal container so it is manageable and use it when ever there is an oil/grease spot. Pour it on and use a rag to wipe it up. I think it cost me $40.00 for 5 gallons.

Comment

Can you tell me what state you are located in? We have a new plant based green product we are considering adding to the store, that comes in several concentrations up to a 'super concentrate' which I know has been used in the petroleum industry, in mechanic shops to clean up grease covered parts, and in public works places to remove grease and stuff from their work trucks. I did a quick spray and wipe on our warehouse floor, which is an old factory, and it did a credible job with no soaking on some grease so be interesting to see what it could do. Not sure it would on porous concrete because the grease would sink in, but you said it had been sealed. We are in Southern California. Let me know.
                  Last edited by habreu; 5th June 2017, 03:51 PM.
                  Burt Abreu

All From 1 Supply
                  Building & Maintenance
                  Products for Self Storage

Comment

Haven't your secured a deposit from the occupant of the unit? Upon clearing the unit out, you should have inspected it and spotted the problem so you can deduct the amount for cleaning up from the deposit unless this guy undertakes to have it cleaned up himself. If you didn't do this, then well.. Lesson learnt for the next time around. Regarding the original question, try some thinner, or any other solvent that can break down hydrocarbons.
                    Edward Thirlwall
                    http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/.../self-storage/

Comment

...and to further clarify, if you are near us I was going to see if I could get a sample out to you - wasn't pitching the product per se as it isn't even listed on our site yet.
                      Burt Abreu

All From 1 Supply
                      Building & Maintenance
                      Products for Self Storage

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• newstorageguy
                        Reply to Hello Group
                        newstorageguy
                        lol... well, very inexperienced will be me. And if they are sleeping in the unit in January they will be frozen quickly in our area...... I know i will be relying on all of our expertise at that time. Bring on January 2. thanks,...
                        Yesterday, 11:41 PM
                      • pacnwstorage
                        Reply to Hello Group
                        pacnwstorage
                        Well then, come January, when the first excuse for non payment or you catch a sleeper in a unit or have to deal with figuring out if you should rent to a person or just overlook the joint behind their ear and the beer can in their hand, you will be "experienced" and have to learn how to swim...
                        Yesterday, 11:22 PM
                      • newstorageguy
                        Reply to Hello Group
                        newstorageguy
                        Well I guess my plain name worked......lol thanks to all for their messages. I am in WI. Looking forward to learning more from all of you. You are the experts and I am the virgin.......
                        Yesterday, 11:13 PM
                      Working...
                      X