Long time, no see

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long time, no see

Amy Campbell made me promise at last month's ISS Expo in Las Vegas to return to the forum. It's been more than a month but I finalloy have a little time.

Speaking at the convention was fun. Getting attendees energized at 8:00 a.m. wasn't easy. I hope they learned something. A few came up afterward and i could see they really wanted to be better managers and owners.

With that, it's hard to believe that it will be six months as of tomorrow that I stopped working in self-stroage. I was stunned at the time, but I have done a lot of interesting jobs since in several parts of the country and now doing work in two former careers of mine, media and bowling, at the USBC's Women's Championship tournament. I have helped manage a couple of conventions in Las Vegas. All have been nice assignments and could do it year after year.

After a few months away from the business, I ask myself if I would ever return to the field. I don't know. Right now, probably not. And the reason is owners and executives are ridiculously cheap in an industry that has enjoyed tremendous growth for years. They are making very good profits but think they're the reason for their success instead of the front liners.

I mean, how do they justify paying a manager $9 an hour? That's not a manager, that's peon pay.

Some fo these uppity types think they're going to be homeless and bankrupt paying a manager a decent wage. What's a decent wage today for a manager? Let's start at $30,000 and go from there. Anything less is chump change to them.

Normally I don't sound off on owner business decisions because I'm a libertarian. it's their playtoy. But they want you to be loyals, honest, and the next Madame Curie at the same time for $20,000 a year. Too many owners act like this is 1917, not 2017,.

And these are the same owners who tell managers they can't freelance rates to customers to close a deal or even clsoe a deal for a higher rate! That's right - I know owners who tello managers that they can't make more money than the unit's default rate. And these hyprocrites complain they're not making enough money when they make decisions like this?

Too often, owners and district managers just get in the way of more success and profit.

Will I come back to work in self storage? Maybe. But I know that I can outsell most on my worst day than they can on their best day. My stats proved it at a facility four miles from Ferguston, Missouri riots. Yep, a 25% gains over 3 years wasn't done in Beverly Hills. I won an industry video contest. I was invited to speak on how to grow sales and revenue. I've proven my value. If an owner is serious about change, he or she can get ahold of me. If you're an owner bent on the status quo, hire a non-degreed milleanial.

Amy filled me in on old forum friends and where they are these days. I promise to come back online more and reconnect.

Scott

It's been so long, I see my signature still ID's me as a self storage manager. Gotta change that!
    Scott Simon
    St. Louis area resident storage manager

Hey Scott
    Nice to "see" you on the forums again!!!
    www.columbiastoragegroup.com

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.
    http://www.selfstoragetalk.com/core/...ilies/wink.png

Comment

Hi Scott! Sounds like you're having fun being out of the biz. As for cheap, you've hit the nail on the head. It's why I left my last place.
      Why are I-phone chargers not called 'apple juice'???

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
        Hi Scott! Sounds like you're having fun being out of the biz. As for cheap, you've hit the nail on the head. It's why I left my last place.
        Amy filled me in on where you are these days. Sorry we didn't connect in Vegas this year.
        Scott Simon
        St. Louis area resident storage manager

Comment

"It's been so long, I see my signature still ID's me as a self storage manager. Gotta change that!"

That's why when I saw you respond in another thread I was thinking you are back at it at a different facility. Sounds like you are busy busy busy. That is way better than the opposite. The owner's wanting to get by on the cheap? Yep, gotta agree. When I came to this facility and we were negotiating salary, I reminded them that they came after me. I didn't search them out. Too many owners think "anyone" can do this job. Wrongo bucko! You expressed what so many of us feel, in very great terms. Quality costs. Good luck and again, keep in touch.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Haha welcome back Scott!!
            Kevin Kerr
            Self Storage Software by Storage Commander
            Kevin@storagecommander.com
            Direct - 951.867.4732

Comment

Welcome back!

Comment

Glad to see you popped back in. I'm so sorry I wasn't able to attend your seminar due to other commitments. Like you, I'm not working a facility at this time, I retired back in July. Instead I'm doing some consulting work and indulging in some long neglected hobbies. Thankfully I have the luxury of doing so thanks to my husband and late parents. I would consider working a site again as I miss the interaction with the great customers and the challenges. I'm grateful for the acquaintances I made during my last tenure as now I have the time, so I can go out for lunch or coffee with some of my former customers.

Also like you I've learned a lot and what my value is, I wouldn't work for wages I could make elsewhere easier by simply asking "Would you like fries with that?" and go home at the end of a shift.

We plan to move out of this area in the next couple of years so I've looked at up and coming projects to see what may interest me down the road. It never ceases to amaze me how little value people put on the management of their investment. I ask owners/investors I've interacted with what the most important piece of their project is. I'm sure you can guess what their answers are not.

Have fun Scott, enjoy life and pop back in from time to time.
                Gina 6k
                twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

"We plan to move out of this area in the next couple of years so I've looked at up and coming projects to see what may interest me down the road. It never ceases to amaze me how little value people put on the management of their investment. I ask owners/investors I've interacted with what the most important piece of their project is. I'm sure you can guess what their answers are not."

So true Gina, so true.
                  "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
                    Reply to Boat/Trailer Lien
                    pacnwstorage
                    Why not just have it towed off and let a towing company handle it from here. If you are unsure of what to do and all info points to Ca. and you are even more unsure then get it gone and rent the unit to a paying tenant. The time you take to figure this out is costing money unless the boat and trailer...
                    Today, 08:08 PM
                  • markus
                    Reply to Cloud-based self storage software storing & emailing passwords in plaintext form
                    markus
                    MH: I can tell you our developers are not reading your false, misleading statements. There is nothing for them to glean here. Based on your lack of understanding the quotes (or URLs) you are misusing, not once but twice, what would our developers say to you?

Please see above, in red, next...
                    Today, 07:53 PM
                  • Manager_1986
                    Boat/Trailer Lien
                    Manager_1986
                    Hi everyone.

OK, so we did cut locks not long ago, and found a boat and trailer in the unit. Didn't want to deal with it (lol) so we cut the occupant a killer deal to settle and come get it. Apparently he isn't interested. So we are "planning" to lien sale it.

So,...
                    Today, 06:29 PM
                  Working...
                  X