No announcement yet.

Ending 24-hour access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I forgot to mention. One little story that happened recently. Like someone else pointed out earlier, not everyone is so polite as to follow your facility rules. Here's an example:

Late on Friday, at about 8:55 PM (5 minutes before our "gate" closing time) I hear a big ruckus. Took a look at the security monitor... sure enough, 5 cars drove in and all went to this one unit. I look up the account in the Sitelink. The note up front says: "He is in prison. Get contact info. Girlfriend is using the unit."

OK, Exactly the type of "good" news that I want to see at 9 PM on Friday night.

So I wait.... at about 9:20 PM (20 minutes after the curfew time) one guy tries to get out. He coded out like 10 times, all bad codes.... (Note that the gate would've let him out, had he used the right code that they coded in with.) At the same time I hear loud swearing and shouting, of him basically yelling at the rest of these deadbeats that are still at the storage unit.... some 200 yards away. I sill wait and watch the security monitors.... this time my shotgun out of the gun locker ....

Then after about 10 minutes, the rest of them decide to head out too.... the same story. They try it over and over again. Bad codes. For some dumb reason they just forgot the number that they used to get in with ....

OK. After about 5 minutes. A see a young guy (that was with them) is scaling our front gate. (Note that he is climbing out, not in. So trespassing would not apply.) The rest of them cheer at him. (On the side note -- the reason for them to climb the gate when they couldn't get their cars out escapes me. But, hey you wouldn't seek reasoning with this crowd.)

At this point I come out from the front office, shotgun at hand. I will spare you our conversation, since I don't think I can post it here. I will tell you that it was very brief. And it delivered the message quite succinctly. I then opened the gate and told them that I do not want to see them on site ever again. Then they left.

So yeah, there are exceptions from the rules. But overall, most people are nice and would not act like this bunch above.

PS. In case you're wondering what happened with the tenant. We sent an eviction notice the next week. (Unfortunately it came right back and ... well, coupled with some "liberal" policies of the company it got delayed for about a month.) But by now, the tenant is off the facility. So I bet they will think twice about coming back. Overall, I would avoid at all cost renting to anyone like that. And maybe try to get them out before the situation gets escalated like it did above.
    Last edited by bnr_manager; 11th August 2017, 09:15 PM.

Comment

I never ever go out after my gate close at 9 pm without carrying one of my hand guns. You gave them 20 minutes on the first go round. I would not have. I would have taken my cell and called the police and let them know what I see on my monitor and tell them to leave and open the gate for them if need be. You know you got problems at 8:55 pm when 5 cars come in. The problem would be if they are carrying also. Ah, hell with it, call the police and get them on the way first thing before going out there.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
        I never ever go out after my gate close at 9 pm without carrying one of my hand guns. You gave them 20 minutes on the first go round. I would not have. I would have taken my cell and called the police and let them know what I see on my monitor and tell them to leave and open the gate for them if need be. You know you got problems at 8:55 pm when 5 cars come in. The problem would be if they are carrying also. Ah, hell with it, call the police and get them on the way first thing before going out there.
        Yeah, I thought about calling police (when the guy started climbing over the gate.) The problem is that A) he was climbing out and not in. So when police pulls up there will be 5 of them against me saying that they are the customers and that they got stuck on site. (They indeed had a working code & the keys to the locker.) So obviously if I saw someone climbing in, I'd call the police. and B) by the time police would've gotten there the guy would've been already off the fence. So it would all look normal. Then lastly C) I didn't want to waste the rest of my Friday night writing police reports and dealing with those hoodlums more than what I had to.

Comment

The only thing is that they are not your customers. The name on the lease is your only customer. While they may have keys and codes and know where the unit is, they still are not your tenant/customer. They have to abide by all facility rules and policies whether the named tenant is there or not. I get where you are coming from but my allegiance is always to my name on lease tenants. By the way, climbing in or out is against policies, I would assume.

Comment

Yeah, I wish. That's how it used to work here. (I don't know if I mentioned, I don't own this site. I'm just an onsite manager.) Up until recently we used to have a policy when a tenant on the lease could designate people who were authorized to access the facility. We called it "access list" which used to work quite nicely. Well, evidently a few years back the owners decided to take off the legal responsibility from themselves and changed it to the following: a renter is solely responsible for the access to the locker, and as long as they trust someone else and give them the key and the code, our new policy says that those people also have full access to the site. So this basically means that if someone has the key and the code we should treat them as if they belong here. (This provision has no clause as to how that other person obtained the key and the code. For all I know he could've found it or stolen it off the original tenant.) I truly hate it but that's what the company policy is now.

My main "beef" though would be with other managers that rent to pretty much everyone who walks in through the door. They don't seem to think about the "onsite guy" that has to deal with all the problems that may arise from such rentals. I understand commission pays, incentives, and such. But I'm really fed up with tenants "bending the rules." I treat this place as my home so any such crap is personal to me. It almost pushes me to the brink of considering to leave this job. I wish the company considered this little aspect besides just making more money & covering their legal butt. But, of well, I don't think it's going to change anytime soon. At the very least I'm thankful for the concealed carry & overall gun ownership laws in this state that allow me to protect myself when dealing with situations that I described above. God help us if it was CA.

So guys, that was my take on this whole 24hr access thing. I didn't mean to derail your discussion...
            Last edited by bnr_manager; 12th August 2017, 04:05 PM.

Comment

bnr, we used to have an access list as well and that was a problem at times, especially with fighting couples. We got rid of the access list and now the tenant can allow who gets in here. I never give out gate codes or unit locations to anyone other than the tenant on the lease. If the tenant chooses to give location and code and key, fine, but that person will be treated just like the tenant and be expected to follow all policies and rules or they get kicked off the facility. I never ever accept the excuse of, "I didn't know". I tell all tenants that they have to make an allowed person that they choose to be aware of all policies I covered with them at move in and all warning signs. If not then I lock the unit and gate down till I talk to the tenant and have a "Come to Jesus Moment". Just this morning a person wanted the gate code for a tenant and they said they had a key and unit location but the tenant had forgot to give them the code. Not happening. The girl was mad and went to the truck and a guy came in. Not happening. He was mad and said he was calling the tenant. I said great and to do it now and I want to talk to her too. They drove off.

Comment

Yeah that's another good point. What does your lease say about people renting for someone else? It happens here so often when someone rents a space, you explain the rules to them and then a few days later someone else shows up with only the key and a digit missing from the code that has no idea what the rules are, that it's not OK to run the gate, or tailgate other customers. Then they don't know where the keypads are, or site access time, etc.

Comment

I make it clear that the named tenant is responsible for EVERYTHING! Any problems with them or who they allow in means that "Come to Jesus Moment" before I unlock the unit and gate again. When I rent a unit I require undivided attention from that person. The cell phone is not allowed to interrupt the leasing process. I repeat things and look them in the eye to make sure they know I expect them to understand what I am saying or ask for clarification. Like I said, I don't accept the phrase, "I didn't know". I know it sounds harsh when I type this but all of this is done with me cracking jokes and laughter and getting them involved in the process but when a really important part comes up I change and really get my point across. Basically, IMO, they are not ENTITLED to rent here unless they accept the policies and rules. Safety and security at the facility start with a mutual understanding of all facility policies.

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post

Yeah, I thought about calling police (when the guy started climbing over the gate.) The problem is that A) he was climbing out and not in. So when police pulls up there will be 5 of them against me saying that they are the customers and that they got stuck on site. (They indeed had a working code & the keys to the locker.) So obviously if I saw someone climbing in, I'd call the police. and B) by the time police would've gotten there the guy would've been already off the fence. So it would all look normal. Then lastly C) I didn't want to waste the rest of my Friday night writing police reports and dealing with those hoodlums more than what I had to.
                    They may have keys and a code, but they are not your tenants. The person who signed the lease is. And anyone on your property, permission of tenant or not, can be trespassed. Next time, call the police. Seriously. You live there and you should not have to worry about your safety on the property. Your facility is, literally, being run by the tenants, and you have employees who don't care who they rent to. If you don't have language in your lease about "sub-leasing" get it in there. Everyone needs to be on the same page as far as how rentals are being done. If they can't, or won't do that, they need to look for another job. And a tenant who doesn't follow the rules needs to have their lease terminated. The sooner the place starts getting under control, the better, And if you don't have the support of your boss or owner in doing so, you may be better off looking elsewhere.
                    And, for what it's worth, I'd much rather spend time writing a police report than constantly worrying about people accessing my facility who have no legal right to be there.
                    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Krypto
                      Reply to Sick of Tenants Who Are Jerks
                      Krypto
                      This is so true Pac, you have got to teach them how you do business the right way, right out of the gate. Otherwise, this WILL happen again.
                      Today, 09:00 PM
                    • pacnwstorage
                      Reply to What is a typical managers schedule?
                      pacnwstorage
                      At last facility I had a relief lady one day a week on Saturday and I had Sat and Sun off. Here I work Tuesday thru Saturday and have 2 days off. I live on site at both places. Had my share of "people bothering me when off but that is the nature of the beast. I love the on site living quarters...
                      Today, 08:45 PM
                    • jodikay1
                      What is a typical managers schedule?
                      jodikay1
                      I'm wondering what a manager schedule looks like. Is it typical for a manager to have two days off in a row? Are they usually on-call and need to be within driving distance all the time? Would this be different if it was an on-site vs off-site manager? I read the salary survey report, but didn't...
                      Today, 08:29 PM
                    Working...
                    X