Announcement

Collapse

Holiday Closures

Due to office closures during the 2017 winter holidays, SST membership registration may take longer to process. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience. Happy holidays!
See more
See less

Paperless Office

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paperless Office

We are in the process of building more units at our facility. We are running out of space in our office to file all of the forms for each tenant and are thinking of ways to save space. We have tenants who have gone into the lien process many times and have very thick folders. We are wondering if we can scan the old notices and save them on an external hard drive, and shred the hard copies. Has anyone done this before, or gone completely paperless in your office. Are there any legal implications to doing this? Thank you!

You have to keep all records for 7 years is what I was told. My old company is keeping them for 10, but they have indeed gone paperless, just printing out the move out receipt and ledger on move out, and printing a copy on move in for the tenant if requested (or if they have no email). then scan the DL to the program and everything.

As for larger folders, just add a second (or 3rd) folder for tenant and continue their information.
    I was born to be wild, but only until about 9:00 pm.

Comment

We store our old paperwork in boxes in a storage unit....

Comment

Well, yeah. Once they move out we put their files in folders and store them in a unit. But active files we keep in the drawers.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
          Well, yeah. Once they move out we put their files in folders and store them in a unit. But active files we keep in the drawers.
          Could you possibly do paper leases, then just scan into the computer and keep in a file in a storage unit for future reference? Basically no paper in the office, but still have the paper copies stored in a unit in case you needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by letsgosonics View Post

Could you possibly do paper leases, then just scan into the computer and keep in a file in a storage unit for future reference? Basically no paper in the office, but still have the paper copies stored in a unit in case you needed it.
            Good question for your local SSA, but I don't see why not?

Comment

https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/sign...12SNQ&mv=other

We use Adobe Sign in conjunction with StorEdge, both options include online storage of documents so you don't really need to worry about the external hard drive.

Nice thing about adobe sign is for the $120 per year you can use it along with any other software. We have been going through the process of updating all of our rental agreements and it has been invaluable in that process.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• newstorageguy
                Reply to Hello Group
                newstorageguy
                lol... well, very inexperienced will be me. And if they are sleeping in the unit in January they will be frozen quickly in our area...... I know i will be relying on all of our expertise at that time. Bring on January 2. thanks,...
                Yesterday, 11:41 PM
              • pacnwstorage
                Reply to Hello Group
                pacnwstorage
                Well then, come January, when the first excuse for non payment or you catch a sleeper in a unit or have to deal with figuring out if you should rent to a person or just overlook the joint behind their ear and the beer can in their hand, you will be "experienced" and have to learn how to swim...
                Yesterday, 11:22 PM
              • newstorageguy
                Reply to Hello Group
                newstorageguy
                Well I guess my plain name worked......lol thanks to all for their messages. I am in WI. Looking forward to learning more from all of you. You are the experts and I am the virgin.......
                Yesterday, 11:13 PM
              Working...
              X