Avoided a problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoided a problem

Just told 2 guys to leave the office and would not rent to them. They wanted a 10x15 unit to store a bike trailer and 2 Harley's. I said fine but will need to make copies of current titles or registrations for both bikes and the trailer. First they said the trailer is not titled. I said if it has a VIN it is titled. They also tried to say the bikes have no VIN because of custom frames. I told them of my Harley years of experience and said that the custom frames can still have VIN's on them or the title has the engine number on it. Either way, the bike would be titled. Then they said they would still need the unit but would not store the trailer or bikes in it. Ah, yea, right. I told them I didn't feel comfortable renting to them and said I could give them a number of another facility. I got cussed at and the door slammed. Bye bye Dumba$$.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Stolen property, no doubt!
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Comment

It's amazing the stories they come up with for not having the title, registration and proof of insurance.

Comment

Frankly, I didn't even care or ask for insurance. That is up to them. I always want to make a copy of a current title or registration. I always ask what is being stored. General answers with no details is a red flag. They started out with a trailer and 2 Harley's. Backtracking does not work for me. When any prospective tenant is fast talking me, I will not rent till I get them to slow down and talk with details.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
            Reply to Background checks?
            pacnwstorage
            Just before close at 6 PM I had a call from a young guy asking if I had ANY units. First red flag there. I asked if he knew what size he needed and when he needed it. He said I need it today! Second red flag! He said he needed an 8x10 or a 10x10. I have a couple open 5x10 units but no 10x10. I did not...
            Yesterday, 09:59 PM
          • Krypto
            Reply to Background checks?
            Krypto
            Background checks, and credit checks, for a person to rent a storage unit, is a slippery slope for sure! I Pac has the best method, which is to say there are no vacancies, until he can tell that the person will not be a PITA. Everyone has a past, some complaints, maybe even some convictions. You cannot...
            Yesterday, 09:27 PM
          • danikahsafestor
            Reply to Dumbest lock stories?
            danikahsafestor
            We've just assumed they have no idea what they are doing. It's hard to keep a straight face sometimes. Or those people who can't get their unit open and they just need to push down with their foot to slide the latch. It's so satisfying to go all the way out there and open it immediately when they've...
            Yesterday, 08:45 PM
          Working...
          X