Announcement

Collapse

Holiday Closures

Due to office closures during the 2017 winter holidays, SST membership registration may take longer to process. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience. Happy holidays!
See more
See less

This month I plan to ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This month I plan to ...

Finish this sentence: This month I plan to ...
    Last edited by Amy_ISS; 3rd October 2017, 11:27 AM.
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Be as mellow as possible on SST.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Clean out two auction units that didn't sell. Follow up on any maintenance issues. Just had the electrician out here yesterday to replace lights in our higher ceilings. The city replaced some outside lights. We are now lit! lol
      I was born to be wild, but only until about 9:00 pm.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
        Clean out two auction units that didn't selll
        When I have units that are a no sale, I most times post pics on Craigslist and offer them for "the highest bidder"
        Yes, you can still try and collect some money
        OR
        Post for FREE!!

Start collecting names and numbers of any and all auction buyers that will take units for free!!

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I plan to .....

1. Finish my CapEx reports.
          2. Finish cleaning a few units that had some overhead insulation repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post

When I have units that are a no sale, I most times post pics on Craigslist and offer them for "the highest bidder"
            OR
            Post for FREE!!

Start collecting names and numbers of any and all auction buyers that will take units for free!!
            Plus, remind the buyers that donated items are tax deductible.

Comment

count down the days til my vacation on November 13

Comment

OR
                Post for FREE!!

Just an FYI...we were advised to NOT do this and to start all over with the lien process (by a very prestigious lawyer in our industry). SO, he suggested, and this is for those who use online auction services, for me to set myself up as a bidder, this IS legal in TN. When we are down to the last 24 hours of an auction with no bids, I bid the minimum bid of $10. I have won 4 units and since they are legit owned by me, we can dispose of them.

In the past, I did the Craig's List thing too and advertised a free unit, which works beautifully. We can still do that now, we just wait until the unit "sells".

JMO....
                Stephanie Tharpe
                Senior VP of Operations
                A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
                Nashville, TN
                http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
                www.tnssa.net

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post

Just an FYI...we were advised to NOT do this and to start all over with the lien process (by a very prestigious lawyer in our industry). SO, he suggested, and this is for those who use online auction services, for me to set myself up as a bidder, this IS legal in TN. When we are down to the last 24 hours of an auction with no bids, I bid the minimum bid of $10. I have won 4 units and since they are legit owned by me, we can dispose of them.

In the past, I did the Craig's List thing too and advertised a free unit, which works beautifully. We can still do that now, we just wait until the unit "sells".

JMO....
                  I totally hear what you are saying
                  However, doesn't the unit then become ours anyway when there is a no sale???

Comment

I totally hear what you are saying
                    However, doesn't the unit then become ours anyway when there is a no sale???
                    Apparently not according to the attorney I have spoken to about it. You have to have a legit sale, which includes three or more people in attendance. And a legit buyer. In TN, we as owners do have the right to bid, but the tenant also has the right to bid as well. We have had a few win their units online but then the CC declined. Go figure. After 3 days of declining, it defaults to the next highest bidder.
                    Stephanie Tharpe
                    Senior VP of Operations
                    Nashville, TN

TNSSA Board of Directors
                    www.tnssa.net

Comment

Thanks for the tip Steph

And ya know, "technically" when there is a no sale, I guess it can "seem" like there were no buyers
                      Going forward, I better get my (owners) $10. at the ready!!!!
                      LOL

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post

JMO....
                        This seems kind of shady. I guess since you do NOT really "own" the items in the unit, you could make an argument, if you had to get yourself out of trouble. On every auction site, I have ever submitted a bid on, this is strictly forbidden.

Comment

Originally posted by Krypto View Post

This seems kind of shady. I guess since you do NOT really "own" the items in the unit, you could make an argument, if you had to get yourself out of trouble. On every auction site, I have ever submitted a bid on, this is strictly forbidden.
                          It is a legal transaction and a legal win. It shows we had an auction, shows how many people viewed it and it has record of a buyer. I do not believe for one minute this lawyer would steer me wrong. They deal with storage issues every single day. Also it is much better than starting lien process all over again.

As I said before, in the state of Tennessee, our lien laws allow us to bid on a unit, as well as the tenant. I don't write the laws, but I do adhere to them.
                          Stephanie Tharpe
                          Senior VP of Operations
                          Nashville, TN

TNSSA Board of Directors
                          www.tnssa.net

Comment

I plan to... Get half the garage doors painted, get the fence installation complete, accept a bid to paint the hallways, get the exterior remodel gone, get rid of the golf cart...and smile nice and pleasant-like at all the nice customers. And the others, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanette M View Post
                              I plan to... Get half the garage doors painted, get the fence installation complete, accept a bid to paint the hallways, get the exterior remodel gone, get rid of the golf cart...and smile nice and pleasant-like at all the nice customers. And the others, too.
                              Why are you getting rid of the golf cart?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• newstorageguy
                                Reply to Hello Group
                                newstorageguy
                                lol... well, very inexperienced will be me. And if they are sleeping in the unit in January they will be frozen quickly in our area...... I know i will be relying on all of our expertise at that time. Bring on January 2. thanks,...
                                Yesterday, 11:41 PM
                              • pacnwstorage
                                Reply to Hello Group
                                pacnwstorage
                                Well then, come January, when the first excuse for non payment or you catch a sleeper in a unit or have to deal with figuring out if you should rent to a person or just overlook the joint behind their ear and the beer can in their hand, you will be "experienced" and have to learn how to swim...
                                Yesterday, 11:22 PM
                              • newstorageguy
                                Reply to Hello Group
                                newstorageguy
                                Well I guess my plain name worked......lol thanks to all for their messages. I am in WI. Looking forward to learning more from all of you. You are the experts and I am the virgin.......
                                Yesterday, 11:13 PM
                              Working...
                              X