Shipping containers as self storage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping containers as self storage

My company rents out 20 ft shipping containers as self storage. I started my company in February 2017 and we now have 11 locations around Norway with containers for rent and we are opening new locations just about every month. It works well and my customers are really happy as the can drive all the way up to the container and our prices are affordable. Are there many self storage facilities in the U.S. based on shipping containers? My website:
    Minilager for lagring av møbler og annet med enkel adkomst. 123 Minilager har best pris på leie av lager for privat og bedrift. Fleksibel leie, lavest pris.

Welcome to the group. Lager. My management company in California bought a property that was all shipping containers, modified with doors and walls put in for storage. I don't know how common that is. Anyone?
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." --Thomas Edison

Comment

Iv seen uhaul locations with tons of old Uhaul truck boxes welded together to look like drive up buildings... super Ghetto lol

Comment

Welcome to the forum Lager. I am sure there is a Beer joke there somewhere. There is a facility in the western part of town that uses nothing but storage containers. They are all different colors and have all kinds of graffiti on them. They have sliding/rolling security gates for exit and entrance but the are left completely open during access hours. There is a large homeless population in that area and they hang out at the facility at all hours.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Thanks for your answers. We only use new ones and we do not have any problems like the ones pacnwstorage are addressing. One of the advantages is that they are obviously easy to move, so we can rent locations where they are planning to build something "sometime" and have a short notice to move. It is easy to try out new locations as we will just relocate them if the location doesn't work.

Comment

Using containers for storage would be great for the nomadic facility aspect. I don't think they come with insulation? True storage use would at least require insulation at the ceiling, IMO. Would need to be added.

Comment

I think in the US, the trend is more towards climate-controlled facilities because of the weather is wonky in so many areas. Here in the desert in California, we have one storage facility and it looks like it's on its last legs. With 100F heat, people don't store here. Has to go elsewhere. Storage containers are being used to make apartments and even unique homes, as they are converted by designers.
              Chuck G.
              Content Developer & Social Media Manager
              Online Storage Auction Services
              iBid4Storage

Comment

Chuck, that is a major deal in Portland, Or. 2-3 businesses up there building shipping containers to order as homes. Used for the homeless as well.

Comment

Its nice that people can do that, but our area strictly prohibits it. It's actually spelled out in city code. We thought about doing it a while back as well.

Comment

If I understand correctly, in Florida there is no "real property" tax because they are movable and not fixed permanently to the ground with a foundation, they are more like personal property.
                    "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal." -Matthew 6:20

Comment

Originally posted by RogerAgness View Post
                      If I understand correctly, in Florida there is no "real property" tax because they are movable and not fixed permanently to the ground with a foundation, they are more like personal property.
                      I have 3 40 ft container end to end along the side of my property. It stared out that the neighborig business would not keep his "stuff" off our property. He was parking cars and trucks right up to and including over on my property.. I installed cement barriers, and he would just move them with his skid steer.
                      So, I ordered 3 of them and had a crane set them when they got here. He was pissed, but he got the point.

The extra benefit I found was that because they are portable, they are not taxed as far as property. They worked real good for my 8x10 uits. Each 40 container is divided with a wall every 10 feet. Containers are 8 ft wide and 8 ft high.

Comment

Billing that neighbor for space rent or a nose punch would have gotten his attention as well.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                          Billing that neighbor for space rent or a nose punch would have gotten his attention as well.
                          No, he's the town bully. Owns several businesses in town that he inherited from his dad, who was a big man in town in his day. He is always violating the building codes and other things and just doesn't think the laws applies to him.
                          My property and his used to be owned by the railroad. He bought his before I bought mine. He stated to me once that "He was here first and can park anywhere he wants". I told him he should have bought all the land, and he just said "why, I was here first"

Comment

Ok, so since billing would not work, then that leaves a punch in the nose as the best recourse. I hate bullies.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X