Announcement

Collapse

Holiday Closures

Due to office closures during the 2017 winter holidays, SST membership registration may take longer to process. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience. Happy holidays!
See more
See less

Pie in the Sky

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pie in the Sky

Seven sites with most different computers. Long story short, the manager software skips ahead a month sometimes. Sometimes it's caught, other times it's not. There is one place to write this error, so that it's corrected, but you don't look at that page or even part of the page except for certain things. I made a mistake, and I'm glad someone caught it. But I'm beating myself up because I don't like to make mistakes.

Need to change your name from Quick Trip, to Slow Down and Look Trip. LOL! I make more mistakes when I am in a hurry, even when I am thinking that I know I do that. You know, "old dog-new tricks".
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Thanks. A refund check was written, but the manager saw it because of my note and called the tenant. The tenant lied, however, nothing written in his notepad about error, and error wasn't corrected by the time I saw it. The manager said it wasn't my fault but said to leave matters of question to her so that I don't get in the middle.

I leave notes, texts everywhere. I'm just kicking myself.

Comment

Depending on where it is on your body that you kick yourself, that could be a neat trick. I mean, I can kick my foot or my hand but anywhere else and I am at a loss on how to do that. I make light of things because I do that a lot if I make a mistake. I used to beat myself up over it, especially when I ran shops, but as I got older I just knew that as long as I learned from my mistakes and accepted the fact that we all make mistakes, well, I can live with that.

Comment

Thank you for your encouraging words! They helped.

Comment

UPDATE: Just chatted with a manager who's been with the company since its conception (almost 30 years), and she said she would have done the same as me. If it's not in the tenant's notepad where all correspondence goes, or has had an edit done which would show up in the View which shows all transactions, then that mistake could have easily been made.The receipt the tenant showed me did not have a line through the date stating the true date. Apparently, the computer skipped ahead a month, which it does if there is a special, or the first payment of a military discount.

Since all the sites are operated differently, a new employee will have to learn how each site operates. The core items, such as taking a payment and a lock check, are the same, but how the site operates differs. And if a part-timer hasn't worked at a site in a long time, a LOT may have changed, and that part-timer may not know that.

It is what it is....moving on...

Comment

Originally posted by QuickTrip View Post
              UPDATE: Just chatted with a manager who's been with the company since its conception (almost 30 years), and she said she would have done the same as me. If it's not in the tenant's notepad where all correspondence goes, or has had an edit done which would show up in the View which shows all transactions, then that mistake could have easily been made.The receipt the tenant showed me did not have a line through the date stating the true date. Apparently, the computer skipped ahead a month, which it does if there is a special, or the first payment of a military discount.

Since all the sites are operated differently, a new employee will have to learn how each site operates. The core items, such as taking a payment and a lock check, are the same, but how the site operates differs. And if a part-timer hasn't worked at a site in a long time, a LOT may have changed, and that part-timer may not know that.

It is what it is....moving on...
              Wow, each facility is run differently? That seems, unwise. I advised my owners that we have the same programs, same rules etc. so that there are no surprises. My opinion only.
              I was born to be wild, but only until about 9:00 pm.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post

Wow, each facility is run differently? That seems, unwise. I advised my owners that we have the same programs, same rules etc. so that there are no surprises. My opinion only.
                As a software vendor myself, please take what I say as unbiased as possible.

I have to agree with KrisinNC here though. There are many benefits of having the same management software throughout all of the managed properties From some of the most obvious reasons such as price-breaks that reduce operational costs and streamlined employee training, to advanced features such as multi-site reporting and site-to-site management.

I may be completely incorrect in making this assumption, but in the past I've see situations like this usually revolve around older, stand-alone software at each facility and the hesitation to change to a consolidated, web-based system is usually cost.

It's a hard decision to transition from something you've ultimately already paid thousands of dollars for to a new software that you will be paying for as a SaaS (Software as a Service) which the majority of modern providers have migrated to. But the majority of modern software platforms available also have many benefits that outweigh and offset that cost such as dynamic revenue management and integrated technology partners that can open many doors to your operation as a whole and should really be considered into the whole equation.

I understand that I've made a few assumptions in here which may or may not pertain to your particular situation and also to reiterate, I try to say this as a SST member and not a vendor.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Kevin Kerr
                Self Storage Software by Storage Commander
                Kevin@storagecommander.com
                Direct - 951.867.4732

Comment

Thank you for your responses. Let me give more info. With the exception of one site, we have the same Property Manager software. However, for example, if a tenant receives the first late fee ($10), each site manager decides if the tenant should be overlocked with the manager's lock or not. One manager says yes, another manager says if $11, another says $25, etc. Another example is if minimum payment is a certain amount to get off auction, some managers will say $20-$25 less than the minimum is acceptable. Some are steadfast about their minimum. For truck rentals, one manager's policy is within 30 days of a new lease, another says 2 weeks after a new lease, another says within 7 days. One manager's policy is only if a full month's rent is paid and not on a special.

So...I make sure to review the policy of the site prior to arriving.

In reference to what happened with me: all employees are trained to look at the notepad for each tenant and the View (all transactions), notes left by the site manager, and the Delinquency Report when in contact with a tenant. All communication with a tenant must be entered into the tenant's notepad, even if a tenant calls to ask about balance, when he/she will pay next etc. The FIXES (where this note was only) is looked at in the morning, and if there is a new move-in with a special or discount, other things that need to be fixed, and all moveout's have to go on the FIXES. And whatever is in the FIXES is supposed to be in the notepad.

So after you look at the FIXES in the morning, there may be no need to look at the document again during the day.

Just wished I had known about this. Maybe the manager places some items in tenants' notepads, and not others. Now, at every facility, I will look at the FIXES every time a tenant calls or comes by. It's not what we were taught, but I don't want this to happen again.

Comment

Wow, that is a cluster waiting to happen! Should all be the same, is there an overall manager or owner?

Comment

Thank you for your responses. Let me give more info. With the exception of one site, we have the same Property Manager software. However, for example, if a tenant receives the first late fee ($10), each site manager decides if the tenant should be overlocked with the manager's lock or not. One manager says yes, another manager says if $11, another says $25, etc. Another example is if minimum payment is a certain amount to get off auction, some managers will say $20-$25 less than the minimum is acceptable. Some are steadfast about their minimum. For truck rentals, one manager's policy is within 30 days of a new lease, another says 2 weeks after a new lease, another says within 7 days. One manager's policy is only if a full month's rent is paid and not on a special.

In reference to what happened with me: all employees are trained to look at the notepad for each tenant and the View (all transactions), notes left by the site manager, and the Delinquency Report when in contact with a tenant. All communication with a tenant must be entered into the tenant's notepad, even if a tenant calls to ask about balance, when he/she will pay next etc. The FIXES (where this note was only) is looked at in the morning, and if there is a new move-in with a special or discount, other things that need to be fixed, and all moveout's have to go on the FIXES. And whatever is in the FIXES is supposed to be in the notepad.

So after you look at the FIXES in the morning, there may be no need to look at the document again during the day.

Just wished I had known about this. Maybe the manager places some items in tenants' notepads, and not others. Now, at every facility, I will look at the FIXES every time a tenant calls or comes by. It's not what we were taught, but I don't want this to happen again.

This post makes me wonder...............

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

They should all be the same because if anyone has to fill in at any site the operation of that site is the same and nothing has to be learned to operate it.

Comment

Yeah, no. This is all a bad idea. The owner/mgt company should sit down with each facility and make everything the same. It does no one any good to be all over the place, especially if you often play musical mangers. A terrible way to run a railroad, as my dad used to say.
                          I was born to be wild, but only until about 9:00 pm.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X