Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do Chateau Cylinder Lock Work? (Master Key)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do Chateau Cylinder Lock Work? (Master Key)

We are completing two new buildings and they are equipped to take Chateau Cylinder Locks, so I go on the Chateau Products web site and see there is a "Master Key" available. I think it said for over locking the units. So how does this work? Does it also open the units for lien auctions? If you use it to over lock and then remove the over lock how can you tel the tenant will be able to unlock it?
    Thanks for any help!

We ordered the C-480-EZ locks. We also ordered the overlock key. The overlock key does not unlock the lock but it makes the lock to where the other keys will no longer unlock the lock. It turns the mechanism so that the keys will no longer fit in the lock to unlock it. Does that make sense?

I can't answer how the Master Key ones will work. Most members here have said not to have a key to a unit for liability reasons and I agree with that. Maybe call Chateau and see how those work.
    Adam Harris
    Store More Mini Storage
    Rogersville, TN

Comment

Yes that makes sense........So what do you do if it goes to lien sale? Do they have to be drilled out?

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Yes that makes sense........So what do you do if it goes to lien sale? Do they have to be drilled out?
        YES! They will need to be drilled out!
        When ordering the locks Chateau does sell a really good drill bit!
        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Yes, you will need to drill out the lock when it comes time for that in the auction process. Make sure you have a lock cut fee in your lease. If tenant was to pay balance before auction, they are going to need a new cylinder lock, so the lock cut fee would help cover the cost of a new one.

At our facility, we are giving the tenant the lock and using our lock is required.
          Adam Harris
          Store More Mini Storage
          Rogersville, TN

Comment

Yes, they have to be drilled out. We do not have a master key because I don't want anyone to think that we have access to their stuff. I posted a picture of how the cylinder lock looks regularly and when you use the red overlock key it moves a notch to where the customer's key will not work, like omegatron81 was saying. Sorry it is tilted.

I didn't know that Chateau sold a drill bit! We have been going to Home Depot and buying the titanium drill bits. My husband usually goes through 2 of them per lock. Thank you lady5563
            The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Is this the drill bit lady5563 ?

https://www.chateauproducts.com/#ind...iew&prodId=473

It doesn't say its specifically for drilling out cylinder locks, so I didn't know this.
              Adam Harris
              Store More Mini Storage
              Rogersville, TN

Comment

Originally posted by omegatron81 View Post
                Is this the drill bit lady5563 ?

https://www.chateauproducts.com/#ind...iew&prodId=473

It doesn't say its specifically for drilling out cylinder locks, so I didn't know this.
                When you go to place your order, I would speak directly to Chateau, on the phone.
                When you order your cylinder locks, you will need to make sure that you buy the correct size drill bit according to the size lock you buy.

Also speak to them about manager-cylinder locks.
                These will be for your empty units.

The link that you posted, I think that bit may be too wide/big.

You may need this bit.
                https://www.chateauproducts.com/#ind...iew&prodId=468

Also, if it were me, I would not buy a battery operated drill.
                I have used these locks in my previous employment and we always had better lock drilling with an electric drill.
                Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Thanks for the insight about this. We have already ordered locks and manager locks, both of which are cylinder type. Definitely will have to look into the drill bit issue as well as proper technique on removing these...

Adam Harris
                  Store More Mini Storage
                  Rogersville, TN

Comment

Originally posted by omegatron81 View Post
                    Thanks for the insight about this. We have already ordered locks and manager locks, both of which are cylinder type. Definitely will have to look into the drill bit issue as well as proper technique on removing these...
                    You will want to do your research about proper drill bit lube to increase the longevity of the bits. Also, the best drill effect is not always had by pressing with TOO much pressure when drilling because even with lube the bit can burn up quickly. You can also see what bit you need and get replacements for less money. Best recommended would be a high quality carbide bit.
                    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X