Long Term vs. Short Term Storage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Term vs. Short Term Storage

Hey all. I'm writing an article for the Store Local blog on long term versus short term storage. The main focus of the article is this: Should a facility focus more on gaining long term, or short term customers, and why?

What would you advise a new self storage facility, or one looking into improving its practices?

Thanks in advance! Everyone here has been really helpful on my other questions and I greatly appreciate it.

Rent on a month to month basis. Take it all, if they stay for only 1 month that will be short term, if they stay 1 year that will be long term. They will determine their stay.
    Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

Thank you, Dave! I have a follow up question.

I know that month-to-month rent is standard. Why is that? Do any facilities lease units for longer periods of time? If not, why not?

Comment

We rent by the month, but give a discount to long-term tenants. The premise is that even if the customer is a short term tenant, if you really do your job, they will come back at many points in their lives and be confident with their choice.They will also give you the recognition you deserve and refer people to your facility. I know this works. 60% of my move ins over the last 6 months were repeat customers!

Comment

Maybe we are different, but most of the people that rent here indicate that they only need it for a month. 6 months later, and most of them are still here. We do everything month-to-month and never run specials, and stay full. My area is growing very fast though so we are able to get away with doing that.

Comment

Long-term is good BUT it can also lock in that monthly rate for the term of the lease.

Month to month is best, IMHO.
            Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by jonfesmire View Post
              Thank you, Dave! I have a follow up question.

I know that month-to-month rent is standard. Why is that? Do any facilities lease units for longer periods of time? If not, why not?
              Well you could rent for a year, maybe give a discount. We do not refund rent. If we rent for 1 month and the person moves out after 2 weeks there is no refund. Same would go for a person that rents for 1 year. Storage is considered short term by most. We have some people that rent on a month to month basis and have been there for years. Example one at one of our places has been there sense 1993. Jon I guess it is just the nature of the business.
              Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
                Long-term is good BUT it can also lock in that monthly rate for the term of the lease.

Month to month is best, IMHO.
                Doesn't your lease allow for a rental increase? While we typically don't raise rents after a certain period of time, our lease allows for it since it's a month to month lease.

Comment

Thanks, everyone! You've given me a lot of great information to work with.

The article should be up on the StoreLocal blog within a couple of weeks, here:

https://storelocal.com/storelocal-blog/

Comment

Originally posted by letsgosonics View Post

Doesn't your lease allow for a rental increase? While we typically don't raise rents after a certain period of time, our lease allows for it since it's a month to month lease.
                    Yes, it does but at the same time if a customer wants a long-term lease they are more than likely looking for a rate to be locked in for a certain amount of time.
                    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

We rent storage units for any terms less than 12 months. I offer their second month for free is they can sign on for 6+months. I do not rent for anything over 12 months, because I want to increase their rents on a yearly basis, and I see not other benefit to signing a multi year deal.

I'm not certain that my setup is optimal, it's just what I do.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X