City Property Tax Assessment, Property Taxes Fighting City Hall In Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Property Tax Assessment, Property Taxes Fighting City Hall In Canada

We received an assessment and our property taxes have increased over 125%. Any advice fighting property taxes that are exuberenat? Our land assessment is almost 350% over previous assessment. All storage faciities skyrocketed as city stated they were able to access information they've never been able to access in the past; including the sale of 3 properties since 2012. Any tips on fighting city hall? We are in Canada.

Government tax so they can spend more instead of tightening their own belts. Same north of the border I see.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
      Government tax so they can spend more instead of tightening their own belts. Same north of the border I see.
      I'm not sure what's going on, but i do know it's going to hurt. I suspect there will be facilities that won't survive economically . These increases are huge!

Comment

I bet it has something to do with the value increasing dramatically because of the shortage of units for facilities all over.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Here's an article that might help.
          Amy Campbell
          Editor
          Inside Self-Storage
          amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Originally posted by Amy_ISS View Post
            Here's an article that might help.
            Thank you Amy ! We have to appeal as our taxes have gone from 3500.00 per month to 8200.00 ! It's insane and it's happened to all the storage facilities in our city .

Comment

That's a big jump and worth investigating.
              Amy Campbell
              Editor
              Inside Self-Storage
              amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

we pay over 400k at one of our sites in Toronto

My honest advice.... hire a property tax firm. MPAC is a big battle and it has absolutly nothing to do with the city (MPAC is ontario).

Let me know where you are and I can hook you up with a few good firms. They take about 20% of your savings, but its well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by mmidgley View Post

My honest advice.... hire a property tax firm. MPAC is a big battle and it has absolutly nothing to do with the city (MPAC is ontario).

Let me know where you are and I can hook you up with a few good firms. They take about 20% of your savings, but its well worth it.
                  Exactly what I would recommend. We have a company that we use here in Tennessee and that is all they do, fight our property taxes. One of our locations is $48,000 per year. Depends on city, county and state as to how we are taxed.
                  Stephanie Tharpe
                  Senior VP of Operations
                  A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
                  Nashville, TN
                  http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
                  www.tnssa.net

Comment

We're working on it and contacted a professional . It's been stressful as our economy is in a downturn right now as well .

Comment

Originally posted by mmidgley View Post

We've been quoted 50 percent .I will private message you . Hope that's ok .

Comment

That looks like a HUGE increase. Instead of picking on those who sell alcohol & tobacco (as is typical) they appear to be picking on your local storage industry to fill their coffers. You may want to join with other operators to share legal expenses. Sometimes the taxing authorities can have an uneducated idea of the meager profits that can be available in Self Storage.

When I bought a brand new home back in the 90's I was immediately hit by a huge increase in property taxes. I complained & they sent somebody to my house. It turns out that they were assessing square footage by looking from the street. The guy did not even have to come in the house - he could see from outside the front door that we had a huge vaulted family room and it was not extra upstairs space.

Comment

Some attorneys and professionals fight real estate taxes FOR A FEE. It is usually about 50% of the first years decrease. That is a bargain since the lower rate is the starting rate to be used for years and years. They usually get results because the tax department just does not have time to invest a a lot of properties.

Check to see if the company you hire will reduce the rate if you can get several facilities to join the protest.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• QuickTrip
                            Reply to Pie in the Sky
                            QuickTrip
                            UPDATE: Just chatted with a manager who's been with the company since its conception (almost 30 years), and she said she would have done the same as me. If it's not in the tenant's notepad where all correspondence goes, or has had an edit done which would show up in the View which shows all transactions,...
                            Today, 03:39 PM
                          • RandyL
                            Reply to Looking into adding Solar Panels
                            RandyL
                            Project number 2 is just about complete

Since I know I will be asked this question, the white/gray areas on the roof is flex seal. One lesson I learnt while doing this is to have leaf blower/magnet with you while screwing on the roof. I didn't clean...
                            Today, 02:16 PM
                          • StrongTeam
                            Reply to The Hiring Process
                            StrongTeam
                            We found our current position on Working Couples. We emailed our resumes and the owner called and talked to me about the office, but talked in length to my husband about maintenance.

Later that day we received an email with pictures of the apartment and a offer letter which had everything...
                            Today, 09:59 AM
                          Working...
                          X