Personal items in sale unit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal items in sale unit

I have a legal question and need help. I am in New Mexico and would like to know if the winning bidder on a sale unit is required to return to me any personal papers, pictures or what not? I have not been able to figure it out by reading the lien laws for here and have gotten different answers from other managers. Some say no they do not while others just skirt the question with fluff saying no one has ever mentioned personal items in the unit I don't want to do the illegal thing but also don't want a ton of personal stuff taking up my back office

I answered this at your other post on a different thread. No requirement with personal items. Some winning bidders will just toss paperwork and pics without even looking and some will look and come back to you with a box of those items. Any legal documents may make it back to you but is not required. I believe if firearms are in the unit the winning bidder is required to have checked by police but I am not 100% sure about that and the winner may not bring them to the police anyway. Since never cross a threshold I am only sure about what I can see from the door.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

In Washington they need to give the personals back and we have to hold them for 6 months. Check with your laws in your area. You never want to give someone a reason to sue you.

Comment

Hey LaGuardia, I'm in NM and its been my understanding that it's not "required" however, I've always asked for personals back and they've always complied. In fact, I have a unit coming up for auction this month.. it's a 5x5 with just boxes and tubs and you can see paperwork. This woman has had the unit since 2003 and seems to have just disappeared. I hate to see people lose photos and personal papers.

Comment

JC, as has been said here many times, you cannot care for tenant's personal belongings more than they can. She may have passed, no one knew she had a unit, family members just don't care.......etc.

Comment

Yeah I know.... but as managers sometimes we run on a gut feeling and I have a feeling someone will show up after the auction (if not before). I'll only hold onto it for so long tho....

Comment

Going with a gut feeling, spidey senses, playing the percentages.....etc. Gotta go with what feels right to you.

Comment

I hate to see people lose things like photos and birth certificates too, but, I'm not going to hold onto it forever. Those tenants who begged and pleaded for me to not sell their stuff have never been back to inquire about any personal items/papers that may have been in the unit. If they don't care, why should I? (Although, I think some are afraid we will make them pay any balance that may be due to get their stuff) It's up to you if you want to hang on to it for a bit to see if they come for it, but I think most of us can tell you from experience that they (almost) never do.
                Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
                  I hate to see people lose things like photos and birth certificates too, but, I'm not going to hold onto it forever. Those tenants who begged and pleaded for me to not sell their stuff have never been back to inquire about any personal items/papers that may have been in the unit. If they don't care, why should I? (Although, I think some are afraid we will make them pay any balance that may be due to get their stuff) It's up to you if you want to hang on to it for a bit to see if they come for it, but I think most of us can tell you from experience that they (almost) never do.
                  Always always always. "Please, let me keep my unit. It's got x in it." and then they drop off the face of the earth, no many how many times you try to get a hold of them for their stuff..
                  Why are I-phone chargers not called 'apple juice'???

Comment

Oh I know. I've been doing this for almost a decade. But it's a gut feeling like I said. Something unfortunate has happened to this woman, it's not that she doesn't care. She had the unit for 15 years and was always very nice. So I'll just hang onto it for 30 days, after that, it's gone...

Comment

Originally posted by JCameron View Post
                      Oh I know. I've been doing this for almost a decade. But it's a gut feeling like I said. Something unfortunate has happened to this woman, it's not that she doesn't care. She had the unit for 15 years and was always very nice. So I'll just hang onto it for 30 days, after that, it's gone...
                      I had a tenant like that, and actually have one now. The first one always had someone drop her payment off for her. Then, one day, it just stopped. The mail was never returned which made me think the address was still good. But her phone number had been disconnected so no way to get hold of her. Never heard from her so it sold at auction. Same sort of situation now. Tenant, elderly lady, had been on autopay for years. I sent out card expiration notice and it came back "vacant, no forwarding address" and her phone number is disconnected. That one will be sent a lien notice on the 25th of this month.
                      Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

That is why those leases state that any changes in contact or address info is the responsibility of the tenant to update us. Can't be chasing around for people.

Comment

We don't require they bring personal stuff back, as a matter of fact, I would prefer they not do so. I don't know who your auction buyers are, but around here they do it for a living. They bring a truck and some people to load it and go around from auction to auction all day. At the end of the day, they take the truck back to wherever they keep their stuff and start unloading. The truck is full of stuff from 6 or 8 units from 3 or 4 storage facilities...I don't know how they would know which box of pictures came from which unit or which facility. The buyers here don't go through all the boxes while they are here, they just load and go on to the next one, or send "their guys" over later to empty the unit as they make their rounds emptying the units they bought that day.

Comment

It's not required, but considered a "courtesy" in most states. Birth certificates, passports can be replaced. Photos however, cannot. I actually wrote a blog about this very question: https://www.ibid4storage.com/resourc...nal-Documents/ - Hope that helps.
                            Chuck G.
                            Content Developer & Social Media Manager
                            Online Storage Auction Services
                            iBid4Storage

Comment

I believe it is required in some states, double check your state law. We do NOT require winning bidders to return personal items (frankly don't have the time or energy to police that), but we do ask them to return the items. I'd say only about 10% of people do. We then hold on to the items for 1 month, and IF the former tenant returns for them, we give them the option to pay off any outstanding balance and we will gladly return their items to them. If they refuse, the items go in the trash. After the 30 days, items again go in the trash and we send them to collections.

Needless to say, a former tenant has never paid off their balance to reclaim their personal items lol.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• mattherbaines
                                One of the Best storage units I have had experience with.
                                mattherbaines
                                I came across this secure and more facilitating storage solution with climate controlled storage units in Burlington that has it full perimeter fenced and high tech video surveillance system providing even boardroom rental service which has a table seating capacity of 12 people, a projector, Wi-Fi,...
                                We provide on-site storage units with controlled environments. The consistent temperatures prevent extreme elements from damaging your delicate materials.
                                Today, 08:31 AM
                              • pacnwstorage
                                Reply to Background checks?
                                pacnwstorage
                                Just before close at 6 PM I had a call from a young guy asking if I had ANY units. First red flag there. I asked if he knew what size he needed and when he needed it. He said I need it today! Second red flag! He said he needed an 8x10 or a 10x10. I have a couple open 5x10 units but no 10x10. I did not...
                                Yesterday, 09:59 PM
                              • Krypto
                                Reply to Background checks?
                                Krypto
                                Background checks, and credit checks, for a person to rent a storage unit, is a slippery slope for sure! I Pac has the best method, which is to say there are no vacancies, until he can tell that the person will not be a PITA. Everyone has a past, some complaints, maybe even some convictions. You cannot...
                                Yesterday, 09:27 PM
                              Working...
                              X