No announcement yet.

Bumping of Locks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a catalog and they have a web site. The disc lock I buy is the part number listed. 28/70KA Boxed. It is an ABUS German made disc lock that is a harder metal compound. You can call Patty at the number on Monday.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
      I have a catalog and they have a web site. The disc lock I buy is the part number listed. 28/70KA Boxed. It is an ABUS German made disc lock that is a harder metal compound. You can call Patty at the number on Monday.
      Thank you for the information. Here's the link to that lock at the Move N' Store website:

Comment

Went to the web site link and found the 28/70KA ABUS lock but I don't have a password to log in to site for pricing. Get a hold of Patty and she will get you set up if you want to. Did you see the 5 star rating for security? That is the same lock we use here.

Comment

We considered the cylinder lock but decided to stay away. In this area area a lot of people just don't seem to return the keys. Several times people just drove into the door to get in. We charge $15 admin fee and give them the Chateau 870. We call it a "Free lock". We explain that this is one part of maintaining a more secure facility. They like security. Free sounds better than required.

Comment

Went to the web site link and found the 28/70KA ABUS lock but I don't have a password to log in to site for pricing. Get a hold of Patty and she will get you set up if you want to. Did you see the 5 star rating for security? That is the same lock we use here.
            Here's what I got when I created an account:
            Model Description 12+ 48+ 144+
            28/70C ABUS Buffo 70mm, KD, Carded $15.79 $14.89 $14.29
            28/70KA ABUS Buffo 70mm, KA, Boxed $15.88 $14.96 $14.34
            I'm not sure what "carded" vs "boxed" means though.

Oh, and that 5 star rating, it's obviously fake. You don't trust some site to rate themselves, do you I trust opinions on this public forum (like yours) way more than I'd trust an image of 5 stars that some site put on their web page.

As for lenmay's observation, wow, that's awful. Someone used their vehicle to drive thru the door to open it. It's obviously a property damage and you should go after them. Still, an awful situation to deal with!

As for the FREE part, I agree. Here's what we do. We charge a setup fee, that most people expect to pay when they set up an account. But we say that the lock is FREE (even though technically they pay for the lock as a part of that setup fee.)
            Last edited by bnr_manager; 12th August 2017, 01:46 PM.

Comment

The difference between carded and boxed is this: Carded is in a plastic blister pack that you have to cut off of the lock and is a pain in the a$$. Those are for displays. The boxed is individual boxed locks where the box is just big enough to hold the lock and 2 keys and are very easy to open and dump the lock out of. She sells the boxed to me for the same cheaper price as the carded locks. Also, storing the boxed style takes up way less room as well. I agree with you on the 5 star rating.

Comment

I've never heard of a "bump key". There's been a lot of break-ins in ABQ and it used to be that you'd see evidence, but they've gotten smarter. Often the lock is put back on, and you don't discover the break-in until the customer comes to their unit, which as we all know, could be a long time. We've heard of it often being a Master lock, but they'd either be picking it, or have some master key. Chateau says they're almost impossible to pick, altho I think you can find vids on You Tube showing how to pick them. But they also said, if they DO pick it, it's nearly impossible to put it back on and in some cases they found the disc lock just barely hanging onto the latch but unless you're really looking (like a manager) you wouldn't be able to tell. When we do lock checks now, we grab and yank on the lock a bit.

I had one break-in, drove by the unit in golf cart, with potential tenant onboard... saw a man in a unit, acting calm as can be, leaning against some boxes, smoking a cig... *acting like a tenant* basically. I know most of my tenants by face, but there's always a few that rarely come to their units. He had his truck parked up very close to the door opening blocking him somewhat and he had a big hat on.. my red flag went up. We were headed back to the office and as soon as I got in, I looked the unit up and it was a unit of a tenant that lives out of state and had no fam or friends here. The unit was his deceased brothers belongings. I looked at monitors and the perp was hightailing it off the property... and sure enough, the lock had been put back on. Turned out nothing was taken as I had scared him off soon enough because I slowed down and kept turning around and looking back at him...

Also, movers, gotta be careful of them. We've heard stories of movers hitting other units, while they're loading or unloading for their customers. Or tenants giving their gate code to the mover, the mover keeps it and couple months later has a code to get in the gate. Of course, now we warn everyone to never leave movers unaccompanied and never give their gate code out to movers.

Comment

Honestly. we have never had a lock picked, or lock problem. A lot of it has to do with your entire security presence. The lock is just a small piece of that very big puzzle.

Comment

Originally posted by mmidgley View Post
                    Honestly. we have never had a lock picked, or lock problem. A lot of it has to do with your entire security presence. The lock is just a small piece of that very big puzzle.
                    I agree, and we're in the process of beefing up our cameras. But here in NM they have 2 or 3 "rings" of guys hitting storages, mostly in ABQ and thankfully I'm not down there. But I heard a very large national chain had something like 100 break-ins in less than a year.

Comment

Originally posted by JCameron View Post
                      I've never heard of a "bump key". ..
                      JCameron, I'm assuming that you Googled "bump key." There's a ton of examples on how to do it and even a video on YouTube that shows the process. It's scary how easy it is to do with some padlocks. I personally never tried it with Chateau disc locks. All I know is that it is very easy to cut those. (In despite of their "intimidating" look.) Like I described above, the issue is in their very soft steel that those padlocks are made of.

As for not knowing if someone cuts the padlock and replaces it with a similar one, I think Chateau sells security stickers that you can put on each padlock and check them during your weekly site inspections. Padlocks that don't have stickers need to be checked. In case of a new move-in, you'll put a new sticker on. If it's not a new move-in, you call the customer right away and ask them if they changed the lock. This way you can catch unauthorized lock cuts almost immediately. (Do site checks twice a week, or three times a week like we do for better results.)

Concerning your story of a customer that you "busted" in the locker -- first off, it's unrelated, but why was he allowed to smoke inside the unit? That would be an immediate violation of rules there. As for how he got it, he could've easily had a key. You never know what interactions people have between each other. He could've stolen it, or somehow convinced the actually tenant to give it to him. That will explain how he could lock the unit so quickly. That actually happens here quite often.

As movers go, we've never had a situation that you described. Although myself I read a ton on "scary" stories how movers scam customers. Anything from damaging their stuff, to keeping stuff hostage. What I tell customers is that they need to always vet the moving company before hiring them.

Comment

Originally posted by bnr_manager View Post

JCameron, I'm assuming that you Googled "bump key." There's a ton of examples on how to do it and even a video on YouTube that shows the process. It's scary how easy it is to do with some padlocks. I personally never tried it with Chateau disc locks. All I know is that it is very easy to cut those. (In despite of their "intimidating" look.) Like I described above, the issue is in their very soft steel that those padlocks are made of.

As for not knowing if someone cuts the padlock and replaces it with a similar one, I think Chateau sells security stickers that you can put on each padlock and check them during your weekly site inspections. Padlocks that don't have stickers need to be checked. In case of a new move-in, you'll put a new sticker on. If it's not a new move-in, you call the customer right away and ask them if they changed the lock. This way you can catch unauthorized lock cuts almost immediately. (Do site checks twice a week, or three times a week like we do for better results.)

Concerning your story of a customer that you "busted" in the locker -- first off, it's unrelated, but why was he allowed to smoke inside the unit? That would be an immediate violation of rules there. As for how he got it, he could've easily had a key. You never know what interactions people have between each other. He could've stolen it, or somehow convinced the actually tenant to give it to him. That will explain how he could lock the unit so quickly. That actually happens here quite often.

As movers go, we've never had a situation that you described. Although myself I read a ton on "scary" stories how movers scam customers. Anything from damaging their stuff, to keeping stuff hostage. What I tell customers is that they need to always vet the moving company before hiring them.
                        Oh yes, we use the security stickers and do a "lock check" twice a day (patrol in-between), but as I was saying, in some cases the same lock was put back on.

I wouldn't say he was "allowed" to smoke in the unit. At the moment, I had a customer with me and wanted to get back to the office and look at my gate system and see who the unit was rented to. That took priority at the moment. I spoke at length with the tenant in CA and highly unlikely it was a stolen key and was not given to anyone.

Yes, I tell people to choose their movers very carefully. I've heard horror stories as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JCameron View Post
                          I wouldn't say he was "allowed" to smoke in the unit. At the moment, I had a customer with me and wanted to get back to the office and look at my gate system and see who the unit was rented to. That took priority at the moment. I spoke at length with the tenant in CA and highly unlikely it was a stolen key and was not given to anyone.
                          In that case call police right away. He might be a good lock pick. (Depending on the padlock, some cheap locks can be picked in a matter of seconds by a professional.) I think you said you had security cameras, right? I hope those can record as well. If so, collect as much information as possible and give it to police. That guy might be hitting some other storages near you right as we speak.

In our case, after one of the incidents like this, we also installed a license plate camera at the gate. That will obviously help tremendously to get the lic plate number for the authorities. Good luck!

Comment

A little off the subject but when you are showing a unit and see anyone breaking rules is the perfect time to tell them to stop and let the new tenant know how we watch everything. I guess that is called a teachable moment.

Comment

A little off the subject but when you are showing a unit and see anyone breaking rules is the perfect time to tell them to stop and let the new tenant know how we watch everything. I guess that is called a teachable moment.
                              That is exactly what that is Pac!

Comment

Wow. Well as I said, at the moment I had alarms going off in my head and was more concerned about a break-in. Everyone's focusing on the cig? And in no way would I ever think it a wise idea for a manager to approach or confront someone they *think* might be a criminal and even less wise with a potential customer on-board. We are told in no uncertain terms to never confront the person in these situations and I would agree.

It would have been a perfect teachable moment, if it had been a known tenant as we were driving by. Under the circumstances however, IMO it was not. What if he had a gun? Or started swinging... It's one thing to take the risk myself, but with someone on-board, now I've involved *them* and added a potential lawsuit if that person had gotten hurt (or traumatized, in todays world) . There are safer opportunities for a teachable moment.

And yes bnr, I did call the police. This was a few years back. I think this guy was a lone operator.. not part of the "rings" they've got down in ABQ these days.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Krypto
                                  Reply to Sick of Tenants Who Are Jerks
                                  Krypto
                                  This is so true Pac, you have got to teach them how you do business the right way, right out of the gate. Otherwise, this WILL happen again.
                                  Today, 09:00 PM
                                • pacnwstorage
                                  Reply to What is a typical managers schedule?
                                  pacnwstorage
                                  At last facility I had a relief lady one day a week on Saturday and I had Sat and Sun off. Here I work Tuesday thru Saturday and have 2 days off. I live on site at both places. Had my share of "people bothering me when off but that is the nature of the beast. I love the on site living quarters...
                                  Today, 08:45 PM
                                • jodikay1
                                  What is a typical managers schedule?
                                  jodikay1
                                  I'm wondering what a manager schedule looks like. Is it typical for a manager to have two days off in a row? Are they usually on-call and need to be within driving distance all the time? Would this be different if it was an on-site vs off-site manager? I read the salary survey report, but didn't...
                                  Today, 08:29 PM
                                Working...
                                X