Announcement

Collapse

Holiday Closures

Due to office closures during the 2017 winter holidays, SST membership registration may take longer to process. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience. Happy holidays!
See more
See less

Does it pay to be nice or does it imply liability?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it pay to be nice or does it imply liability?

Our Tenants sign an agreement understanding that we do NOT insure their goods.
    Letís say a Tenant had a leak and you give them a credit for one week of rent to be nice.
    Does that in anyway imply that you are responsible for anything?

I would say, yes it does. Unless you have them sign something that states differently about why you did it. But they say you can't sign away your rights. I am a big advocate about never deviating from what the lease says and if the lease says you have insurance responsibility then to me, that is god enough.I make them sign and initial about insurance being their responsibility. If you do deviate from the lease then that can come back and bite you in the a$$.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We had a mold problem, completely out of our control, and we gave people a free month's rent and moved them to a new unit. That was ok'd by my management company-but we never admitted culpability during the whole thing. Did you give the tenant a new unit?
      I was born to be wild, but only until about 9:00 pm.

Comment

We offered the Tenant a new unit and as of yet they have declined. I am however holding one for them.

Comment

They may like the location of their existing unit or are waiting for you to also offer to pay to move the items to the new unit. IMO it is an easy decision for them to make and so I wouldn't hold a unit for them after they decline. Unless of course you have several of the same size unit.

Comment

So this tenant complained about a leak in their unit but declined to move to another one? Sounds like trouble waiting to happen. I'd tell them they must move to the other unit so you can address the leak issue with the one they are currently in.
            I had a tenant do the exact same thing. Said they had a leak in their unit, I offered them another unit near-by, and gave them a credit toward their rent. They never moved into the other unit and didn't come back for more than a month. Then they complained again. I had everything documented and was able to throw the responsibility back on them for never moving to the new unit.
            Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

DairyGirl is right. This smells fishy and that is not good around Thanksgiving.

Comment

I mean come on, if it were my unit and something of mine got wet/damaged.
                Yeah, I want to move my stuff!!!
                Come on, I smell something fishy too!!!!
                Did this person show you any pictures of what was damaged?
                You would want them to locate to another unit
                What IF this probelm does exist and it continues to get worse?

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Document, document, document....................................oh, and document.

Comment

Yeah, most tenants would be quite happy to switch out of a leaky unit! I would insist.. "sorry but we need to get in there".

Comment

If you are dealing with understanding people I see nothing wrong with being nice. ! weeks rent nice, but check the roof for a leak, fix it, if it is a metal roof walk the roof and look for loose screws. But that is what having insurance is all about. I would say you have no responsibly for there belongings getting wet. But saying all of this make sure your lease is strong in this respect. IMO
                      Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
                        Reply to Live PD Party
                        pacnwstorage
                        So, "Who knew gophers were tee toddlers?" LMFAO! At least it wasn't a pinky swear.
                        Today, 09:39 PM
                      • newstorageguy
                        Reply to Hello Group
                        newstorageguy
                        lol... well, very inexperienced will be me. And if they are sleeping in the unit in January they will be frozen quickly in our area...... I know i will be relying on all of our expertise at that time. Bring on January 2. thanks,...
                        Yesterday, 11:41 PM
                      • pacnwstorage
                        Reply to Hello Group
                        pacnwstorage
                        Well then, come January, when the first excuse for non payment or you catch a sleeper in a unit or have to deal with figuring out if you should rent to a person or just overlook the joint behind their ear and the beer can in their hand, you will be "experienced" and have to learn how to swim...
                        Yesterday, 11:22 PM
                      Working...
                      X