ADA Lawsuits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADA Lawsuits

Some noteworthy news on the ISS website. Three California operators are being sued for alleged violations of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Well California is gonna California not much one can do about that.

Comment

California=Law suit frequent flier theme park!
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Ambulance chasers, serial sue-rs. This has been going on with the same people for close to 20 years. Some properties don't begin to have the space from the get go for new modifications but they get sued anyway. Now, having a disabled (late) mom, I'm one of the first to jump when someone abuses handicap access and such. But, long before our property had a ramp into the office, we went the extra mile on a personal level to help those who were encumbered with physical limitations. Just part of the customer service we provided as fellow, compassionate human beings. At some point, suing for the sake of suing becomes ridiculous.
        Gina 6k
        twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
        VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
        storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
        I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Just found out our websites failed the ada standard.....I guess free time is for others lol

https://achecker.ca/checker/index.php
          --
          Ron

http://advancedministorage.com
          http://zolezzistorage.com

email ron at advancedministorage.com

Comment

I'm scared to even put my business URL into that ADA site checker. I'm so paranoid that it's just an easy way for the lawsuit people to see who isn't compliant, by using people's curiosity against them.

I'm in the middle of an ADA suit right now on a property I lease to a Chinese restaurant, luckily I put in the lease many years ago that any ADA compliance issues are the responsibility of the tenant. Looks like it's going to be ~$35k to make this go away, not including legal fees. I'm sorry to say that the whole thing makes me wary of any disabled person that visits a business of mine. My brother in law is a quadriplegic, so like Gina I'm the first to defend common sense accessibility standards for those that need it, but being blackmailed by crooked attorneys and their professional "offended people" is another matter altogether.

In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

So we just had our software developer redo our website. It passed thank goodness. I just checked it! Everyone seems to be so sue happy these days. When we pass compliance I breathe a sigh of relief.

Comment

Got our California sites done (Advanced Mini Storage). Will work on the Nevada facility soon.

A storage facility close by got hit by an ADA lawsuit. The kind where the attorney just checked the site on google maps or earth then filed a claim.

Thanks for the heads up Amy.
                --
                Ron

http://advancedministorage.com
                http://zolezzistorage.com

email ron at advancedministorage.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dave Scott
                  Reply to Online Rentals - Amazing Results !
                  Dave Scott
                  We just started last month renting on line and it is working good so far. We have Kiosks and there is not a lot of difference But you know nothing is perfect. I guess you could call it the future.
                  Yesterday, 05:36 PM
                • evansr
                  Reply to Post date move in
                  evansr
                  We use storEDGE and have been asking for the feature since 2014 when we switched from sitelink stand alone. We were told that they would be adding the feature soon, and that has yet to ever happen. We offer RV Storage, and so say if a customer comes in on the 15th but won't need it until the 1st, we...
                  Yesterday, 05:13 PM
                • Bighank
                  Reply to The Lost Art of Customer Service - Have we forgotten?
                  Bighank
                  My wife and I ran a property down in Dallas. We were right down town in a very bad part of Dallas. Lots of transients and drugs were rampant. The reason I mention all of that is it did not make a difference to us. When we left one my homeless people that I had to bicker with fairly often came up...
                  Yesterday, 03:11 PM
                Working...
                X