Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User - Any New Ideas?

Hello All;

My name is Ken and I am have been reading the threads on this forum for quite a while now, and I would like to join in some discussions.

I have recently been put in charge of a facility, and I was looking for some suggestions that anyone may have to increase our bottom line through non-storage income.

Outside of truck rentals and cell towers, has anybody tried anything out of the oridinary?

I would greatly appreciate any advice that you may have.

Thanks very much!

Ken C.

Re: New User - Any New Ideas?

Document shredding and destruction is a great non-storage income source. You don't even need to put out money to buy equipment, simply find a shredding outfitter in your area that will pick up your bulk documents and up charge on that price.
    LifeStorage - Not just self storage.... LifeStorage!
    LifeStorage - Self Storage Units - Twitter @LifeStorage - LifeStorage on Facebook
    My Moving Checklist - Step by step moving checklist to help out people with their move.

Comment

Originally posted by Storageguy2012 View Post
      Hello All;

My name is Ken and I am have been reading the threads on this forum for quite a while now, and I would like to join in some discussions.

I have recently been put in charge of a facility, and I was looking for some suggestions that anyone may have to increase our bottom line through non-storage income.

Outside of truck rentals and cell towers, has anybody tried anything out of the oridinary?

I would greatly appreciate any advice that you may have.

Thanks very much!

Ken C.
      Just a couple of quick things that come to mind:

1. I once worked at a facility where we had a very large parking lot out front. We set up a "park and sell" lot where people could park their cars, boats, trucks, motorhomes, etc., and display them for sale. We charged a monthly fee and provided some services.

2. I once worked at a facility where we have a large billboard that faced the freeway. We were paid $1,100 per month for the billboard.

3. One of my sister facilities has a "CruiseAmerica" dealership. They rent motorhomes to people to use for vacationing. They do pretty well with it.

4. I currently store records boxes for customers in the community. I charge .50 per box, per month in a large space that is usually hard for us to rent. Customers only pay by the box and we offer free retrieval and pickup.

5. I currently have private mailbox rentals. We have about 75 customers who pay $10 per month. Considering the cost of the mailboxes, we have made a killing on the mailbox business.
      "Freedom of speech, does not mean freedom from being offended. The Constitution does not protect your feelings..."

Comment

I really like your mailbox idea, but I was wondering if you ran into any problems with the Post Office? If not, I imagine you would just contact them and let them know you have mailboxes?

Comment

Originally posted by hurlco View Post
          5. I currently have private mailbox rentals. We have about 75 customers who pay $10 per month. Considering the cost of the mailboxes, we have made a killing on the mailbox business.

I have one tenant that keeps asking me to do this. He said the banks and Government agencies now require a physical address. He said he would gladly pay $10.00/month. I would have to put a mailbox on the street. Then use our property address with suite #. I guess I would then place the received items in the box for the tenant. They would need a gate code to get onto the property and inside the CC building where I would have the boxes. Is there a demand for this? I checked out boxes. They are not that expensive and would pay for themselves rather quickly with just a few box holders. I have used this company in the past and they have good prices http://www.mailboxes.com/departments...essed-mounted/
          I am just not sure what type of demand we would have?
          Joe Krezdorn
          DAK Self Storage
          Leesport, PA 19533
          www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

We currently have mail services at most of our Chicagoland locations and they fill up pretty quickly. There are hoops that you need to jump through to be compliant with the USPS. However, they only downside is the huge amount of mail your facility will receive. Over time mailbox tenants come and go, but you still get spam\ad snail mail for past and current tenants.

Originally posted by dakselfstorage View Post
            I have one tenant that keeps asking me to do this. He said the banks and Government agencies now require a physical address. He said he would gladly pay $10.00/month. I would have to put a mailbox on the street. Then use our property address with suite #.
            Legally you cannot let the renter use the address as a masked physical address.

Originally posted by dakselfstorage View Post
            I am just not sure what type of demand we would have?
            With the right marketing you can fill up all your boxes in less than 6 months; at $10 month you undercut every single primary source of mailbox services. I would get small and large boxes, so you can make a little more.
            Last edited by SSandecki; 10th February 2012, 01:14 PM.
            LifeStorage - Not just self storage.... LifeStorage!
            LifeStorage - Self Storage Units - Twitter @LifeStorage - LifeStorage on Facebook
            My Moving Checklist - Step by step moving checklist to help out people with their move.

Comment

UPS shipping...you get the profits from the UPS, and also will sell a ton more boxes, tape, bubble wrap, styrofoam, etc. and it doesn't take up much room, a scale, a printer, and some floor space to store the outgoing boxes til UPS picks up each afternoon.

http://www.packageexpresscenters.com/ here's a link to get you started

and UPS is a lot easier to deal with then the Post Office

Comment

Originally posted by Life-Storage View Post
                We currently have mail services at most of our Chicagoland locations and they fill up pretty quickly. There are hoops that you need to jump through to be compliant with the USPS. However, they only downside is the huge amount of mail your facility will receive. Over time mailbox tenants come and go, but you still get spam\ad snail mail for past and current tenants.

Legally you cannot let the renter use the address as a masked physical address.

With the right marketing you can fill up all your boxes in less than 6 months; at $10 month you undercut every single primary source of mailbox services. I would get small and large boxes, so you can make a little more.
                I thought that may be a little fishy. Why would anyone rent a box from me if they can get a PO box cheaper?
                Joe Krezdorn
                DAK Self Storage
                Leesport, PA 19533
                www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

We do mailboxes at our facility and it works out fairly well.

Comment

Personally and this is just my opinion: Extras like truck rentals, shipping services etc take away from what really makes you money, storage....

I will make my case: When we bought a facility one year ago, it was bringing in 18K per month. They had truck rentals. We dropped the trucks, rented the parking spots where the trucks were, added retail (boxes, packing supplies) Marketed our rears off to the community and in Dec (only 9 months) our monthly income was 31K.

Focus on your facility. Become the best. Get involved with your Chamber and your community. Pass out business cards everywhere you go! Have an Event at your store to get people there. Donate a unit to a beloved community cause. Take candy to local apartment managers. Seek out realtors to work with. There is so much marketing you can do to increase your real bottom line!

Good Luck to you! Oh and Welcome to the Forum
                    Stephanie Tharpe
                    Senior VP of Operations
                    A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
                    Nashville, TN
                    http://www.aplustorage.com

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post
                      Personally and this is just my opinion: Extras like truck rentals, shipping services etc take away from what really makes you money, storage....
                      We have a truck franchise at one of our locations and it doesn't bring in much money for the amount of effort you have to put into it. Not to mention all the rules and penalties the franchise has. The owners feel that it brings in business to the facility. This may be true but it can also take business out as well. If I were to purchase a facility I would just work out a deal with a local truck franchise. It would still benefit the tenant but reduce the enormous hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post

I will make my case: When we bought a facility one year ago, it was bringing in 18K per month. They had truck rentals. We dropped the trucks, rented the parking spots where the trucks were, added retail (boxes, packing supplies) Marketed our rears off to the community and in Dec (only 9 months) our monthly income was 31K.

Focus on your facility. Become the best. Get involved with your Chamber and your community. Pass out business cards everywhere you go! Have an Event at your store to get people there. Donate a unit to a beloved community cause. Take candy to local apartment managers. Seek out realtors to work with. There is so much marketing you can do to increase your real bottom line!

Good Luck to you! Oh and Welcome to the Forum
                        Thanks SO much to you and everybody else for your advice! I look forward to repsonding to more threads, but since I've been put in charge, I've been VERY busy!

Comment

Hurlco's suggestions are very helpful and enlightening. What I take out of it is to know what resources I have and to make the most out of them. A storage facility offers space, time, and convenience to those who need it, but you can definitely make a bit more profit depending on how you utilize ALL of the resources that you have.
                          They have the best quality postcards and low price business cards here -> how they printed video

Comment

For the folks interested in USPS mail, all the info and forms are available at USPS.com. Just search for "commercial mail receiving agency" It's a very easy process to get set up.
                            http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usp...eType:embedded

Right here @ SST - Need some PO Boxes. http://www.selfstoragetalk.com/goods...ra-income.html

Comment

Is anyone out there willing to share a sample rental agreement specifically for mailbox rentals? I operate in Alberta, Canada and am considering adding mailboxes to my location but wouldn't mind seeing a rental agreement to think it all through. What happens if a customer's stops paying for their mailbox. How long do you hang onto their mail before marking RTS and returning to sender?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Manager_1986
                                Reply to Interesting Resume'
                                Manager_1986
                                He might be a great handy man, you never know.
                                Today, 05:23 PM
                              • pacnwstorage
                                pacnwstorage
                                I was waiting for the "have a blessed day." I knew it was coming. That wife's parents, I am sure, know what a face palm plant is. Why oh why are these kids having kids? I also can see he cannot type the letter "a" without including "n". I truly would be curious to see what...
                                Today, 05:05 PM
                              • MamaDuke
                                MamaDuke
                                Since you all enjoyed the beginning so much, here is the rest of the "resume."

after apple bees i went to an plumbing company called ARs worked there for an year as an labor after that job i became an painter at an company called fleet wood i love painting and building things...
                                Today, 04:55 PM

Google Analytics

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X