Indoor Storage Difficult To Fill?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indoor Storage Difficult To Fill?

Newbie with 1st post I have been creeping for a few months looking to possibly purchase my 1st facility soon!
    The facility I am looking at has some indoor storage with 4ft walk in doors.
    Those of you that have indoor storage, who uses this type of storage and who do you market it to? Also is it difficult to fill these units?
    Thank you for your knowledge on this!

It depends if they are temp controlled or not. Temp controlled we market to small businesses for their excess supplies, best ones are pharmaceutical reps, or businesses like yelp. For smaller units with no temp control, we market to apartments, college students, and senior living centers, etc. They are harder to rent in my market, because people prefer larger units here, but they are not impossible. Hope this is helpful!

Comment

First: Welcome to the forum.

Second: I have heated units but no a/c and no humidity control. The temp control out of the rainy weather here in the PNW sells itself. I have 72 indoor units with 5 access doors to the hallway. I have 2 of the 5x5 units open at this time. Rest are full. I remind people that not only are they heated, out of the rain but also have none of the normal particles that float in the outdoor air and the hallway is very bright light. Seems to work. I get calls for large indoor units all the time but my biggest is 10x10 and those have a waiting list for them.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Your own attitude can make all the difference. Don't apologize for the indoor access. Sell it up like PAC says.

Comment

I have a large number of indoor spaces and have no problem filling them. I talk about what a great savings it is and how great the cameras are in those buildings and the individually coded buildings for extra security, etc etc.

Comment

Thank you for your knowledge on this! I agree how its presented makes a difference

Comment

No it doesn't have to be difficult!
              It is all in how YOU sell it!
              I imagine you will also have drive up units?
              If that is correct, mark them at premium prices! Because of the ease of access.
              These indoor units you can adjust the price to be a little lower than drive ups.
              Also, remember that you can also have any size unit nearest the entrance door, that is also a premium spot (more $$)
              Tenant has to walk further down a hallway?
              make that same size unit be a few $$ less.
              Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

jimjim you haven't said if any kind of temp or humidity control in these units. Inside is harder to get to without any reason like climate control to justify a higher rent. People want ease of access unless they specifically want some type of climate control and then the units should cost more. Otherwise, like lady says. specially if is on multiple levels.
                "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

PAC no they currently are not climate control but its something I may look to turn them into later. Lady gave some some good tips!

Comment

Ok, not to be a downer here but we have a facility with indoor units that are not temperature controlled and we have had major issues with mold. So, we are in the process of changing them to temp control and right now they are simply sitting empty. I would research to see if there have been claims. You can put in fans and humidifiers to help.
                    Stephanie Tharpe
                    Senior VP of Operations
                    A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
                    Nashville, TN
                    http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
                    www.tnssa.net

Comment

MusicCity Gal that sounds rough. We sell damp rid to our customers for moisture issues, however we really don't have any real issues with it at the moment. Knocking on wood as I post it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tercelet1 View Post
                        MusicCity Gal that sounds rough. We sell damp rid to our customers for moisture issues, however we really don't have any real issues with it at the moment. Knocking on wood as I post it.
                        Yes we sell Damp Rid too but not working at this particular store. Only location I have ever experienced it with. But humidity in Tennessee is insane.
                        Stephanie Tharpe
                        Senior VP of Operations
                        A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
                        Nashville, TN
                        http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
                        www.tnssa.net

Comment

Just be careful with the solution. Decreasing the temperature doesn't always work in these areas. Good air circulation can help at times. Is there a door to the outside you can prop open in nice weather. Also they have great industrial fans you can hang from beams to push circulation. I had previously asked my boss if we could put them in each hallway to make our non-temp control buildings a little more people friendly. They get super hot in summer months.

Comment

We sell ours similar to PAC. The are technically not "climate controlled", but are heated and fully insulated. We try to sell on the premise of indoor units, out of the weather (expecially snow/ice in the winter) and the units stay cool in the summer with no AC. Never above 80 in our building. Also, the doors have a keypad entry so it's essentially double secure in that only the people inside our building can access those particular units with a code. We also market extra lighting (we have led lights in the halls which help brighten it up). We typically stay 95% or above, April is the best selling time (don't know why).

The one downside is they are hard to fill. Thankfully we don't have a lot of them so we stay pretty full and sometimes have a waiting list. We do get about $40 more per month than a typical same sized unit (not sure why people would spend that much more, but oh well)

Comment

Indoor units yield more revenue per square foot. Your unit mix is going to be determined by your market. In some markets small units are gold...know your market.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dave Scott
                                Reply to Online Rentals - Amazing Results !
                                Dave Scott
                                We just started last month renting on line and it is working good so far. We have Kiosks and there is not a lot of difference But you know nothing is perfect. I guess you could call it the future.
                                Yesterday, 05:36 PM
                              • evansr
                                Reply to Post date move in
                                evansr
                                We use storEDGE and have been asking for the feature since 2014 when we switched from sitelink stand alone. We were told that they would be adding the feature soon, and that has yet to ever happen. We offer RV Storage, and so say if a customer comes in on the 15th but won't need it until the 1st, we...
                                Yesterday, 05:13 PM
                              • Bighank
                                Reply to The Lost Art of Customer Service - Have we forgotten?
                                Bighank
                                My wife and I ran a property down in Dallas. We were right down town in a very bad part of Dallas. Lots of transients and drugs were rampant. The reason I mention all of that is it did not make a difference to us. When we left one my homeless people that I had to bicker with fairly often came up...
                                Yesterday, 03:11 PM
                              Working...
                              X