Individual Door Alarms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Individual Door Alarms

Do your units have individual door alarms? Pros can cons?
    Yes
    44.44%
    No
    55.56%
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

My last facility did. It was helpful because we could monitor people who were not supposed to be there after hours. The alarms reset exactly an hour after the doors shut-you could pinpoint when a guilty tenant had been in their unit. Here, we don't need them-quiet as proverbial mice.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." --Thomas Edison

Comment

With the gate system we have at our main facility it is not necessary. It could help at our other facilities that do not have gates, but we have not had any issues. The owner lives 5 minutes away from one and the Sheriff Station is across from two of the others. We don't have issues, so we are not planning to invest in this.

Comment

I have it at one of our facilities, and they are more trouble than they are worth. Assuming they are installed correctly, they go off if the customer tailgates, or if they have multiple units that aren't linked (think one for business and one personal storage unit), My facility is also on the older side, so they also go off for no apparent reason.

Then there are paranoid customers who want to know how fast the alarm re-engages once they leave the facility. They also like playing around with it to ensure that they really do work. Then you get an ear full if the swat team doesn't show up 10 seconds after they triggered it.

My advice? Throw down more cameras and focus on securing the parameter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X