Announcement

Collapse

Holiday Closures

Due to office closures during the 2017 winter holidays, SST membership registration may take longer to process. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience. Happy holidays!
See more
See less

New Smart Lock Technology in the Self-Storage Industry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Smart Lock Technology in the Self-Storage Industry

Link below!

Hello Self-Storage experts! I am a current student at the University of Minnesota studying business and supply chain operations and I am doing a consulting project for a company called Latch; a smart lock company made up of former Apple designers and engineers. Our suggestion is that Latch should design a lock for garage style doors especially the traditional self-storage garage doors (functionality is up to the engineers, we are in charge of concept). Take my two minute confidential survey for a chance to win a Starbucks gift card! This would help us out a lot!

First, where is the survey? I clicked on your link and all my google docs popped up. Second, not interested in entering to win the gift card. But thanks for the offer. By the way, welcome to the forum.

Am also interested in the concept.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

My last facility's owners rep was interested in the tech for his new facility. Someone he'd met at the Vegas show I believe. The cost was pretty high at that time so I don't know if he ever decided to use it. I think the premise is awesome, however I need a reason some days to leave the office, and locking and overlocking provides that and I won't look like a jelly roll...lol. Welcome, Gress!
      I was born to be wild, but only until about 9:00 pm.

Comment

Thanks for your welcome to the forum everyone! Appreciate it very much. Here is another link to the survey:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

Apologies for it not working in the first place, I will edit my post.

Comment

It would be interesting to know the cost of the retrofit and how simple it may or may not be. There are a lot of lock/latch designs. Examples for my questions would be appreciated.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Interesting ... We've started to very lightly talk and dabble with things like Noke which is a smartphone enabled keyless lock. In some ways it makes sense to have record of when a lock is opened closed and you could even integrate door alarm technology into it to have an all in one solution.

One thing I certainly don't want is the ability for any staff member to have access to open the lock. Unless, I can set my thoughts of liability at ease, I sleep very well knowing the only one who controls access to the locker is the tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by Madman View Post

One thing I certainly don't want is the ability for any staff member to have access to open the lock. Unless, I can set my thoughts of liability at ease, I sleep very well knowing the only one who controls access to the locker is the tenant.
              My thoughts exactly.

Stephanie Tharpe
              Senior VP of Operations
              A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
              Nashville, TN
              http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
              www.tnssa.net

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
                Reply to Live PD Party
                pacnwstorage
                So, "Who knew gophers were tee toddlers?" LMFAO! At least it wasn't a pinky swear.
                Today, 09:39 PM
              • newstorageguy
                Reply to Hello Group
                newstorageguy
                lol... well, very inexperienced will be me. And if they are sleeping in the unit in January they will be frozen quickly in our area...... I know i will be relying on all of our expertise at that time. Bring on January 2. thanks,...
                Yesterday, 11:41 PM
              • pacnwstorage
                Reply to Hello Group
                pacnwstorage
                Well then, come January, when the first excuse for non payment or you catch a sleeper in a unit or have to deal with figuring out if you should rent to a person or just overlook the joint behind their ear and the beer can in their hand, you will be "experienced" and have to learn how to swim...
                Yesterday, 11:22 PM
              Working...
              X