Team Building

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Building

Great article from Rick Beal on building a successful management team. What advice do you have to create a harmonious and productive work environment?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

I work in a small office with One other person, the owner, and a maintenance tech. who comes and goes where we need him to. I work alongside the owner 6 days a week and that may sound scary, but we have yet to bump heads. I set up appointments throughout the day for our satellite locations and he goes to take care of them. I handle the rentals at our main office location and when he is not in for the day, I do remote rentals. We have separate offices, but talk throughout the day and email back and forth. The biggest advice I can give everybody is to work separately, but communicate regularly. I do all the scheduling, business reporting, accounting, marketing, scheduling maintenance and other administrative tasks, but keep him notified of every piece of information. He knows how we are performing without having to drill down and find the reports himself. It keeps me busy for 40+ hours a week and allows our business to operate smoothly.

Comment

I had a team of 4, 3 part time site managers and a full time maintenance manger. We were great together-I knew their weaknesses and strengths and we all shouldered the tasks. We communicated and if something went wrong, I'd counsel them (most of the time it was something I'd done in the past i.e. accidentally moving a tenant out etc. ) so we could work on a solution of how to avoid that in the future. We got the job done and the facility performed well year after year. Did we have issues? Oy vey, but I firmly believed in coaching them along, not firing them because they made mistakes. (I mean, c'mon, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm not perfect either..lol)
      Why are I-phone chargers not called 'apple juice'???

Comment

Great insight, Caleb!
        Amy Campbell
        Editor
        Inside Self-Storage
        amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
          I had a team of 4, 3 part time site managers and a full time maintenance manger. We were great together-I knew their weaknesses and strengths and we all shouldered the tasks. We communicated and if something went wrong, I'd counsel them (most of the time it was something I'd done in the past i.e. accidentally moving a tenant out etc. ) so we could work on a solution of how to avoid that in the future. We got the job done and the facility performed well year after year. Did we have issues? Oy vey, but I firmly believed in coaching them along, not firing them because they made mistakes. (I mean, c'mon, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm not perfect either..lol)
          In retail, we were always taught to Counsel and Coach rather than reprimand. That helped to encourage and guarantee the correct information was learned and adhered to. I completely agree. Though I don't think I will be coaching or counseling the owner as he is really the only co-worker I have haha

Comment

Listen. Express ideas. Collaborate. Don't get upset if your ideas don't get implemented. Continue to imagine new ways of how to grow the company. IF everyone has the same "cause" and is not self-serving, then it's a team effort.
            Chuck G.
            Content Developer & Social Media Manager
            Online Storage Auction Services
            iBid4Storage

Comment

I think great managers have learned not to take things personally or make business decisions and tasks personal. They learn the strengths and weaknesses of their teammates and work with those!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X