Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convince the owner to hire an assistant!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convince the owner to hire an assistant!

So my property has one person working there.. me! I'm the manager and I work Tuesday-Friday 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, and Saturdays 10 am to 4 pm. This was the schedule that we agreed on when I started. The hours of operations are the hours that I am working. BUT! I am tired of working every single Saturday! I want to be able to go camping on the weekend and do fun things! But I have a feeling if I bring up that we should hire someone else, they'll take it wrong and think I don't want to work or something. I was thinking that we could hire someone to just work weekends, maybe Saturday, Sunday, and Monday... and I would work Tuesday-Friday. I know someone out there would be fine working only weekends. The plus would be that we could be open on Sunday, so I think that might sell the owner a little bit. What do y'all think? How could I go about this? I at least want every other weekend off so I can be a normal 21 year old. But I know I agreed to this schedule when I started.

Your time is so valuable and you need a break from work. I would explain to your owner exactly as you have explained here. All of my managers have assistants so they don't have to work every weekend. It is much easier to find someone part time to work on the weekends as well. Is your store open on Mondays? I wouldn't necessarily offer to open on Sunday, that could backfire......But offering someone to work every Monday and every other Saturday would be a great idea to present, and give you a three day weekend every other week. Go for it and please update.....
    Stephanie Tharpe
    Senior VP of Operations
    A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
    Nashville, TN
    http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
    www.tnssa.net

Comment

I will try! We are not open on Monday's when I am off, so that's a good idea to say we should hire someone to work Mondays and every other Saturday! Thank you. As soon as I get the courage to ask, I will update!

Comment

Winnie_16, I have one question for you. When did you come to that agreement of your work hours? I work the same days and have the same days off. I am older but I also am aware of what I agreed to. If you have only been doing that schedule for maybe 3-4 months I would suck it up for a while and feel out the owner over time. If you have been doing that schedule for at least a year, then ask about a different set up. Maybe it is my age but when I agree to something I stick to it but it never hurts to ask after enough time has gone by. Personally, I like having a weekend day and a week day off. The owner, after I have worked here long enough, has told me that if I want a 3 day weekend I can close down and take it. Again, JMO.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
          Winnie_16, I have one question for you. When did you come to that agreement of your work hours? I work the same days and have the same days off. I am older but I also am aware of what I agreed to. If you have only been doing that schedule for maybe 3-4 months I would suck it up for a while and feel out the owner over time. If you have been doing that schedule for at least a year, then ask about a different set up. Maybe it is my age but when I agree to something I stick to it but it never hurts to ask after enough time has gone by. Personally, I like having a weekend day and a week day off. The owner, after I have worked here long enough, has told me that if I want a 3 day weekend I can close down and take it. Again, JMO.
          Yes but PAC, you are one of a kind. LOL! Good managers can get burnt out by the constant on call, only one responsible for the entire place, etc. etc. Even me. Someone giving their word is a major thing, however a good owner should recognize burn out and this sounds like a solid case of it here.

PS. If I were your owner I would have already insisted on making you take a vacation. I hear Nashville is a great place to visit.
          Stephanie Tharpe
          Senior VP of Operations
          A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
          Nashville, TN
          http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
          www.tnssa.net

Comment

In San Diego I worked Tues-Saturday. It was okay, I got all of my appointments done on Mondays so that was a plus. Here I work Mon-Friday and I thought, "Hey, I'll get to go to all of those Sat things I missed." Yeah, it's been 2 2/12 months, I'll get right on that...lol.
            Why are I-phone chargers not called 'apple juice'???

Comment

The owners know I am waiting till I get 5 years here so I can have 3 weeks vacation. I am not flying with all the nut jobs. I am either going by train, I have always wanted to go that way, or am driving back to K.C. I have the vehicle for it, so no worries there. I want to be able to take my time and see who I want to see and go to a couple of BBQ competitions when I am in the area. I didn't get the sense of burn out from Winnie, I got the sense of a 21 year old seeing friends doing things on the weekends and wanting to join in. I was overseas when I was 21. One thing for sure, if you have Sunday and Monday off you will not spend as much money. Once I find out how long Winnie has been on this schedule I can see if I agree with you about burnout. Plus I am unsure, Winnie didn't say, if they live there or not. That can make a difference too. The other problem of leaving on vacation is the owner's son running the place while I am gone and he is not as focused as I am about this place. He has lots of other irons in the fire for the family businesses.
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I am in agreement with Steph!

I would not ask to add Sunday hours

Instead, ask for a part timer to open the office on Monday's and you will alternate the Saturday's with the new hire

By presenting the "Let's open on Monday" pitch...that's a Win-Win situation for everyone!

Monday's do tend to be busy

Work up the nerve....at this point is doesn't hurt to ask

Change is good

I would not say that "you are tired every Saturday"
                Instead keep it light and just suggest the Monday and alternate Saturday's
                Say that you don't want to START to get burned out
                And if things stay the same, you can see it in your future
                and you are trying to avoid an issue

Good luck and keep us posted.
                Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

If you come to the owner with a problem (you not wanting to work every Satruday), and present him/her with a solution that is mutually beneficial, I can't see them turning you down. I would make sure that your solution does not negatively impact the owner financially.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Steve_hajewski
                    Reply to Office hours
                    Steve_hajewski
                    I am open by appointment only. Works fine in a small market. I mainly make myself available late afternoons and weekends.
                    Yesterday, 10:08 PM
                  • Steve_hajewski
                    Reply to Standard Unit Door Opening Heights: 7' tall or 8' tall?
                    Steve_hajewski
                    Trachte's standard eave height is 8'4" which typically yields a 7' tall door. 9'4" eaves is a nice upgrade which gets you an 8' door. Aside from more cubic storage and getting the roof overhang or gutters further away from tenants driving in reverse, it also gets you a more substantial looking...
                    Yesterday, 10:06 PM
                  • pacnwstorage
                    Reply to Standard Unit Door Opening Heights: 7' tall or 8' tall?
                    pacnwstorage
                    Yep, only find that kind of room at an outdoor storage facility. I want to see how one of those auto correct back up assist units work on a Ford pickup truck....
                    Yesterday, 07:21 PM
                  Working...
                  X