No announcement yet.

Salaries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many times owners want to "cheap it" and hire whoever is willing to work for peanuts. Those people can be desperate for a job and at the first sign of something better they are gone. Owners, at times, think this job is very easy and can be done by anyone you pull off the sidewalk. You can bet those facilities, where this happens, are also ran with poor maintenance and haphazard operating standards. These facilities are worth too much to just throw a warm body at them. I have seen some posts on here where a facility is looking for a new manager or assistant manager and the plethora list of what is expected is astronomical for what the listed compensation is. Some of us have called the poster out about that as well.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

One comment I would add, if you are doing a help wanted listing online or in the newspaper, DO NOT just list 4 or 5 paragraphs about what you are looking for and what the job requires. How about a paragraph about what you are OFFERING! I have been in this business for 12 years and have read a lot of help-wanted ads in storage, and 90% of them are very informative, well-written ads about what the company/owner wants the employee to do and what qualifications are needed...but nothing about what is offered to attract that desired employee.

It takes time to fill out online applications, email resumes, write cover letters, etc. and more so to do Skype interviews, phone interviews, or travel for a live interview, without knowing anything about the job and whether it's worth the time and investment of GETTING the job. I have had 90 minutes phone interviews finally to ask at the end about the pay/benefits, and be told $8 an hour, 7 days a week, and no benefits. Well that was 90 minutes I'll never get back, even though they begged me to come to work for them at the end, and even offered to drive from Jacksonville, FL to Orlando to meet with us in person to convince us to take the job.

You want to attract quality people? Create a quality help wanted listing that goes both ways.

Comment

I completely agree Lisa T ! We always list the pay and benefits. We add plus Bonus potential then explain the bonus at interview. Things like Two Weeks Paid Vacation, Six paid Holidays, 4/1/2 Day Work week, Health Insurance and HSA offered get me way more applicants.

HOWEVER, the down side to that is I will get more unqualified applicants that only see the dollar signs and benefits and are simply not qualified to do the job. Still, we are transparent and put it out there so we can attract the good ones.
        Stephanie Tharpe
        Senior VP of Operations
        A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
        Nashville, TN
        http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
        www.tnssa.net

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post
          I completely agree Lisa T ! We always list the pay and benefits. We add plus Bonus potential then explain the bonus at interview. Things like Two Weeks Paid Vacation, Six paid Holidays, 4/1/2 Day Work week, Health Insurance and HSA offered get me way more applicants.

HOWEVER, the down side to that is I will get more unqualified applicants that only see the dollar signs and benefits and are simply not qualified to do the job. Still, we are transparent and put it out there so we can attract the good ones.
          MCG, that is a good problem to have. At least you have a number of applicants and can whittle down to the best qualified instead of a few that may not even have one that possibly work out for you. My maintenance man had a problem with a disc and ciatic-? nerve problem for the last 1.5 months. He is coming back to work next Tuesday. No operation and is now fine with drugs he was given. I was not looking forward to start interviewing a replacement.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

The company that I work for has a great bonus plan. We get a specific amount for renting units that are under 100 square feet and a larger amount for renting units 100 square feet and larger. We also get a bonus based on how much more we take in per month more than the same month last year. This type of bonus allows us to get that extra amount on a monthly basis. We do not have to wait until the end of the year to get our bonus.

Comment

What does everyone start there assistants at? We are now starting them no lower then $12 but usually $13-$14 with sales, hotel or retail experience.
              We are in the Charlotte, NC market.
              Chasing Perfection to catch Excellence

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post
                I am in Tennessee in several central markets. No manager employed by us makes less that $40 per year. I have several making $50K. But as you said, depends on your market. I am Nashville. We also give two weeks paid vacation, paid holidays, a 4 1/2 day work week, cell phone reimbursement, health insurance (we pay half) and HSA Accounts that we contribute $500 to each year on top of salary.
                Can you share information on the type of bonus programs you offer your employees?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Krypto
                  Reply to Sick of Tenants Who Are Jerks
                  Krypto
                  This is so true Pac, you have got to teach them how you do business the right way, right out of the gate. Otherwise, this WILL happen again.
                  Today, 09:00 PM
                • pacnwstorage
                  Reply to What is a typical managers schedule?
                  pacnwstorage
                  At last facility I had a relief lady one day a week on Saturday and I had Sat and Sun off. Here I work Tuesday thru Saturday and have 2 days off. I live on site at both places. Had my share of "people bothering me when off but that is the nature of the beast. I love the on site living quarters...
                  Today, 08:45 PM
                • jodikay1
                  What is a typical managers schedule?
                  jodikay1
                  I'm wondering what a manager schedule looks like. Is it typical for a manager to have two days off in a row? Are they usually on-call and need to be within driving distance all the time? Would this be different if it was an on-site vs off-site manager? I read the salary survey report, but didn't...
                  Today, 08:29 PM
                Working...
                X