The Hiring Process

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hiring Process

For your current position, what was the hiring process like? Did you have a phone interview followed by one or two in-person meetings? Was there a background check and what did it include? Tell us your story.

For those who hire others, what's your process?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

I was at another facility. Got a call about open units. I said did not have any open/empty units but could show them manager units to get an idea of size needed. The young couple, my owner's son and girlfriend, show and I take them around the facility and show them a couple of sizes. Two days later the son's uncle shows and says he would like to talk about coming to work at this facility. I met the 2 brothers, both owners, and the son and one of the owner's wives at a business building near this facility. They liked that I said what I could do for them, even though I was full, instead of what I couldn't do for them. The older couple here were retiring and the family offered me the position. We came to an agreement on salary and I gave notice at the other facility. The 1st of this month is now 4 years here. The new owners said they did a background check with the info I gave the uncle. Many have heard me say, "I love it here!"
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I was working at one property and the property manager offered me a job working a new place he co-owned. No interview, no background check, I had already proven myself. Now on hiring others... that's a long topic question to answer. I've hired in almost every manner imaginable. In my former life I hired through temp agencies for some long term assignments. I've hired people from a classified ad, someone I saw that I liked their style in customer service at another business and I hired a tenant that became the best employee of all time. Well, best employee of all, if you don't count a family member who was also top notch and adored by the other best employee. When you have staff you can trust however you hire/interview, you've got it made.
      Gina 6k
      twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
      VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
      storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
      I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

That was so long ago that the contract was chiseled in stone and has since crumbled. The storage units had big rocks for doors that we had to push out of the way to gain access. Our security personnel walked around bent over with large clubs on their shoulders. I think a 10X10 units rented for either three chickens or one goat per month. They could get discounts if they paid in pelts.

Comment

Originally posted by A-team View Post
          That was so long ago that the contract was chiseled in stone and has since crumbled. The storage units had big rocks for doors that we had to push out of the way to gain access. Our security personnel walked around bent over with large clubs on their shoulders. I think a 10X10 units rented for either three chickens or one goat per month. They could get discounts if they paid in pelts.
          Was all off site payments made via smoke signal?
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Well, I was hired on this facility through Self Storage Talk! In a round a bout way. I am pretty sure they did a background check, though I actually filled out all of the paperwork on my first day here. Good thing I wasn't an axe murderer.
            Why are I-phone chargers not called 'apple juice'???

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
              Reply to Background checks?
              pacnwstorage
              Just before close at 6 PM I had a call from a young guy asking if I had ANY units. First red flag there. I asked if he knew what size he needed and when he needed it. He said I need it today! Second red flag! He said he needed an 8x10 or a 10x10. I have a couple open 5x10 units but no 10x10. I did not...
              Yesterday, 09:59 PM
            • Krypto
              Reply to Background checks?
              Krypto
              Background checks, and credit checks, for a person to rent a storage unit, is a slippery slope for sure! I Pac has the best method, which is to say there are no vacancies, until he can tell that the person will not be a PITA. Everyone has a past, some complaints, maybe even some convictions. You cannot...
              Yesterday, 09:27 PM
            • danikahsafestor
              Reply to Dumbest lock stories?
              danikahsafestor
              We've just assumed they have no idea what they are doing. It's hard to keep a straight face sometimes. Or those people who can't get their unit open and they just need to push down with their foot to slide the latch. It's so satisfying to go all the way out there and open it immediately when they've...
              Yesterday, 08:45 PM
            Working...
            X