No announcement yet.

Need Site Manager Feedback!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. How long have you been at your current position? 6 years (5 years as GM for a couple of facilities)

2. How many facilities have you worked at prior to your current position? None. I came with 6 years of real estate development, and twelve years of project management experience.

3. What are your total years working in the self storage industry? 6 years

4. What is the longest amount of time you have worked at the same facility? 6 years

5. What is the ONE thing you wish owners would change? Vacation time, Hours, Salary, Bonus Structure etc.
    I truly have NO complaints as a GENERAL thing. I love my job; I love the industry. BUT, I am presently the effective on-site manager of one location, I oversee another facility. I do the books, taxes, payroll. I do the marketing, web development, competitive analysis. I have done the site selection, feasibility studies, etc. for future locations. I am presently handing minor (but major) project management duties as we are constructing a 3 story building at one of our facilities. What I would love to have is some breathing room to be a normal manager. Normal, of course, being the average of deviance. A respite, once in a while, where I don't have to be firing on six cylinders all of the time. I like and respect ownership, but the culture is that at the point they have an idea to "look into something", they wanted it done two days before they thought of it and expect an answer right away -- often on somewhat complex issues that don't necessarily have a single answer, and are more like an algorithm in coming up with an answer. There are weeks/months at a time where I feel fried within an inch of functionality. In a word: RESPITE! Two or three days in a row where I don't have to deal. Twice a year.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Somewhere in flyover country

I happen to feel that the degree of a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting attitudes she can bring to bear on the same topic.

Comment

Originally posted by wfh1432 View Post
      1. How long have you been at your current position? 6 years (5 years as GM for a couple of facilities)

2. How many facilities have you worked at prior to your current position? None. I came with 6 years of real estate development, and twelve years of project management experience.

3. What are your total years working in the self storage industry? 6 years

4. What is the longest amount of time you have worked at the same facility? 6 years

5. What is the ONE thing you wish owners would change? Vacation time, Hours, Salary, Bonus Structure etc.
      I truly have NO complaints as a GENERAL thing. I love my job; I love the industry. BUT, I am presently the effective on-site manager of one location, I oversee another facility. I do the books, taxes, payroll. I do the marketing, web development, competitive analysis. I have done the site selection, feasibility studies, etc. for future locations. I am presently handing minor (but major) project management duties as we are constructing a 3 story building at one of our facilities. What I would love to have is some breathing room to be a normal manager. Normal, of course, being the average of deviance. A respite, once in a while, where I don't have to be firing on six cylinders all of the time. I like and respect ownership, but the culture is that at the point they have an idea to "look into something", they wanted it done two days before they thought of it and expect an answer right away -- often on somewhat complex issues that don't necessarily have a single answer, and are more like an algorithm in coming up with an answer. There are weeks/months at a time where I feel fried within an inch of functionality. In a word: RESPITE! Two or three days in a row where I don't have to deal. Twice a year.

I happen to feel that the degree of a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting attitudes she can bring to bear on the same topic.
      Your problem is that you're a victim of your success. Stop being so good!!
      "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." --Thomas Edison

Comment

I need to find someone to delegate TO in the way I get delegated ON? It does get to the point that I cease being good because I am SOO fried. I suspect every manager knows when they have hit that state, and it is not uncommon within this industry and in others. I need to learn to ASK for the time away, which is hard for me to do. Especially on ADMITTING that I need it. Thanks, Kris. BTW, I love your sig quote.

Comment

Originally posted by wfh1432 View Post
          I need to find someone to delegate TO in the way I get delegated ON? It does get to the point that I cease being good because I am SOO fried. I suspect every manager knows when they have hit that state, and it is not uncommon within this industry and in others. I need to learn to ASK for the time away, which is hard for me to do. Especially on ADMITTING that I need it. Thanks, Kris. BTW, I love your sig quote.

WOW. Wow. Wow. Do you know how much money it costs to pay someone to do ALL of the things you are doing for your salary? I have to say I have admiration for you. You sound like the "Dream Employee". Kudos to you on your commitment. Please do yourself a favor though and ask for a break.

Now I am going to worry about you.

Take Care!!!
          Stephanie Tharpe
          Senior VP of Operations
          A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
          Nashville, TN
          http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
          www.tnssa.net

Comment

Do you know how much money it costs to pay someone to do ALL of the things you are doing -- Stephanie

I do. I am paid well (think district manager salary, plus a bonus that acknowledge that I save ownership a ton of money, and standard bennies that aren't great but I am paid well enough to make up for that smallish issue). I am TRULY very lucky to work for the ownership I do, and I know ownership is lucky to have me. I love the industry (which surprised me when I first took the job), and I hope it shows, most particularly to our customers. Ownership gets to tolerate some of my personality quirks, and I get to smooth their rougher edges. It works out very well, and very mutually.

SAVE FOR ONE AREA: Ownership doesn't have an "off" button; and I will go along because I don't have one either. But I've gotten to an age, with some wisdom/hard experience over the decades, that I know I have to hit the "off" button. I *KNOW* we all are sometimes so into what we do, that burnout is an industry issue. We all wear a lot of hats. I read stories here so often (and wish I had more time to comment, or give feedback, etc. here) in that regard.

My goal is to learn to ASK. I think I am getting more comfortable admitting that I need the time away.

Thank you all for the semi-reality check.

ETA: Just as an observation, as a hiring manager: Bonuses (REAL ones, tied to performance, and not a gift card or whatnot) matter more to the 20/30 year olds. Insurance matters more to my *cough* more seasoned workers. Ownership agrees in coming up with a formula (salary/benefits/bonuses) that tailors this to each employee. We are small enough to get away with it. One or two more sites, and that tailoring will have to become more ... standardized.

I happen to feel that the degree of a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting attitudes she can bring to bear on the same topic
            Last edited by wfh1432; 11th October 2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

1. How long have you been at your current position?
              1 year 2 months

2. How many facilities have you worked at prior to your current position?
              2 other facilities

3. What are your total years working in the self storage industry?
              6.5 years

4. What is the longest amount of time you have worked at the same facility?
              4 years

5 day work week and also health insurance would be nice. It seems like all we do is work, eat and sleep.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X