Announcement

Collapse

Holiday Closures

Due to office closures during the 2017 winter holidays, SST membership registration may take longer to process. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience. Happy holidays!
See more
See less

Certified Self Storage Manager

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certified Self Storage Manager

Anyone have their Certified Self Storage Manager designation? How long did it take you to complete?

I've had mine since 2006 and renewed every two years until this past year. The CEUs in 2014 were unreal so I opted out and did not renew last Fall.

Since I started at the very beginning, it was a learn as they went, and kind of painful process. It's much easier now. How long? I'd guess since it's all online now, you'd go at your own pace and Internet connection speed. If each session (don't quote me here) is about 30 minutes long, initially 30 minutes x 15 sessions would equal about 8 hours worth of listening to their video presentations. Plus the length of time to take the exam part of 100 questions. So in a nutshell my best guess is you could easily earn the certification in a weekend. I hope this helps. Maybe someone who started more recently will chime in soon.
    Gina 6k
    twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
    VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
    storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
    I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

When I was in the automotive/light truck repair industry, the ASE, Automotive Service Excellence, certifications were something that was advertised by shops and customers/drivers had been educated to look for these certifications when searching for a repair shop to trust. It also got the certified tech more money on their paycheck. I am still an ASE Master Tech and ASE Certified Service Consultant/Manager. There are more related to special emissions testing/repair and diesel repair and heavy duty trucks.

The reason I state all this is that, does the Self Storage Manager certification help with higher wages? Is it something the prospective tenant looks for? Would it help the facility in the choice for storage? I truly am curious. The industry needs to educate the public to look for that if the industry is looking for a boost of acknowledgment and visibility.

Besides the obvious satisfaction of accomplishing the task of getting certified, it could also help show that a manager/owner is ALL IN when it comes to this career.
      Last edited by pacnwstorage; 7th December 2017, 02:10 PM.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
        When I was in the automotive/light truck repair industry, the ASE, Automotive Service Excellence, certifications were something that was advertised by shops and customers/drivers had been educated to look for these certifications when searching for a repair shop to trust. It also got the certified tech more money on their paycheck. I am still an ASE Master Tech and ASE Certified Service Consultant/Manager. There are more related to special emissions testing/repair and diesel repair and heavy duty trucks.

The reason I state all this is that, does the Self Storage Manager certification help with higher wages? Is it something the prospective tenant looks for? Would it help the facility in the choice for storage? I truly am curious. The industry needs to educate the public to look for that if the industry is looking for a boost of acknowledgment and visibility.

Besides the obvious satisfaction of accomplishing the task of getting certified, it could also help show that a manager/owner is ALL IN when it comes to this career.
        Pac you are as well rounded as a bowling ball my friend! Haha. I know who to call when I need engine advice.

I'd be curious on that too. I'm sure it's a good course. I did just talk to a facility manager that said they took over a facility that was managed by someone who had their CSSM and they did a terrible job. I think it comes down to your dedication, care, and work ethic in how the facility will be operated.

Comment

tpuffer, correct, I knew ASE Master techs that couldn't find a dead miss on an engine if the spark plug was GONE. I also knew guys/girls that were not certified at all and were great techs. Getting the certification shows a desire to show people you care about the business/career but what you do with it is a whole other story.

The calling about engine advice? I actually display my certs in the office with a sign that says I will give free advice/info ONLY if they have a problem with a vehicle or need a recommendation for a good/honest repair shop. I make it real clear it is info only and I am not soliciting to work on their vehicle. I don't do that any more. I care for my own vehicle and for major work I have a Master Tech friend that helps me out. The advice I give is something that helps fill in dead time around here. Plus, I hate anyone getting ripped off by a scam shop or scam tech, so I help with the info to find the right place/person.

Comment

Originally posted by tpuffer View Post
            I did just talk to a facility manager that said they took over a facility that was managed by someone who had their CSSM and they did a terrible job. I think it comes down to your dedication, care, and work ethic in how the facility will be operated.
            Let me try to address this as delicately as possible. I saw people cutting corners right and left that obtained their certification by not attending the presentations that were required etc. That aspect did eventually get addressed. As I stated previously, my 2014 renewal was unreal. So much so that I took screenshots of the tests and compiled the parts of their own video presentations that were wrong and sent them off to be addressed. I sincerely hope they were.

Yes, I also know some that have their CSSM that aren't worth the paper you self print the certificate onto. It does all boil down to whether or not the certificate holder cares. And you can't pay people enough to care, that has to come from within. All of this being said; if you attend conferences, pay attention, take notes, grab ideas and put them into practice when you get back to your site, you've gained knowledge and insight and you're ahead of the game.

I don't see the CSSM making a hill of beans difference to a potential customer. Someone correct me if their experience differs. The same holds true of being a member of professional organizations, customers really don't care. Now however, if you support local causes that they like, they will take notice of that.

Of all the people holding or who did hold the certificate, I do have to say the majority of them were the people who cared and wanted to excel in their positions. There's always bad apples in each bushel. I would probably move a CSSM certified person to the top of my resume piles during the hiring process, but that would not be a deciding factor above all else in my opinion. If time and money are not obstacles, you should go through the courses or at least a few so that you can get a feel for it.

Gina 6k
            twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
            storagebizhelp@gmail.com

I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Gina, as I asked about earlier, would a person having the CSSM accredited paperwork actually get a bump from the very beginning in their wages when hired? I know the ASE certs, I talked about, made a big nationwide push to educate facilities and customers of the value to look for the cert proof. Is the CSSM organization small enough that they wouldn't bother to educate across the nation? Maybe a big push at the EXPO? I know shops that would hire uncert techs and made it a stipulation that the tech had to cert up to keep the job. The shop would pay for passed tests. Is the industry small enough and transient enough that the effort is not worthy of all that? I really am curious. One of the biggest things I like about this industry is the customer interaction and how an older person can hold down one of these jobs long after they would have retired from others. To me this is intriguing.

Comment

I took the course from an audit perspective and found that it would be quite good for someone who is newer to the industry. There were a few inconsistencies with how we do things in the 'real world' that needed updates. The best part was the time spent networking with other self storage professionals and learning from lessons that each other had experienced.

I'd certainly take notice if someone had taken it and was applying for a job, but it wouldn't be the deciding factor.

I think attending the conference and really networking and learning hard with others would be my first recommendation!

Comment

Didn't know there was an in-class option. I was going to do the online version.I guess the main thing I'm looking once I take over the facility is having some policies and procedures in place to begin with. Currently I have none with not managing a facility before.

Comment

Originally posted by tpuffer View Post
                    Didn't know there was an in-class option. I was going to do the online version.I guess the main thing I'm looking once I take over the facility is having some policies and procedures in place to begin with. Currently I have none with not managing a facility before.
                    It is all online now. As Madman said, it is good for newbies and does need some real life tweaking. But each facility has its' own personality so the courses aren't one size fits all.

To answer Pacnwstorage - to be honest, of the CSSM's I know well, none that I know ever saw a bump in their pay. But those are mostly here on the West Coast. Maybe some have... I'd like to hope so. It becomes a matter of how the ownership entity feels about education and the dedication of the employee and the value they place on education and the employee. Each is unique in that regard, there is no standard.
                    Gina 6k
                    twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                    storagebizhelp@gmail.com

Comment

I think the only way an owner would bump the pay is if displaying that there is a CSSM on site would bring in more customers and without the public education of that, the public doesn't even know to look for that. For so long the techs in the country had a bad rep and then the education with the public started with ASE. It worked and well over 70% of the motoring public know to look for those techs with those certs. I was there right after it all launched and I saw what happened.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
                        Reply to Live PD Party
                        pacnwstorage
                        So, "Who knew gophers were tee toddlers?" LMFAO! At least it wasn't a pinky swear.
                        Today, 09:39 PM
                      • newstorageguy
                        Reply to Hello Group
                        newstorageguy
                        lol... well, very inexperienced will be me. And if they are sleeping in the unit in January they will be frozen quickly in our area...... I know i will be relying on all of our expertise at that time. Bring on January 2. thanks,...
                        Yesterday, 11:41 PM
                      • pacnwstorage
                        Reply to Hello Group
                        pacnwstorage
                        Well then, come January, when the first excuse for non payment or you catch a sleeper in a unit or have to deal with figuring out if you should rent to a person or just overlook the joint behind their ear and the beer can in their hand, you will be "experienced" and have to learn how to swim...
                        Yesterday, 11:22 PM
                      Working...
                      X