Falsehoods About Manager's Job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falsehoods About Manager's Job

This topic was inspired by this thread. When looking to hire a new employee, what falsehoods do you think still exist about the job of a self-storage manager? And how does this play out during the hiring process?
    Last edited by Amy_ISS; 31st May 2018, 03:24 PM.
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Not sure I understand the questions you are asking. I find it very difficult to find quality candidates, no matter if it is for an office employee, or someone we are looking to do maintenance.

Are you trying to infer that there is some kind of negative stigma associated with a self storage manager as a job?

Comment

I believe most don't realize this job is physically demanding. Most people think I have a 9-5 sit down job. It is also thought to be an easy position.

Comment

I've had several tenants elude to the fact that I am "above" what they perceive to be a typical property manager. One said I had too many teeth to be working here, one said my command of the English language was above average so why was I working here, and other said he was shocked I didn't have any tattoos, or a smokers cough?!?!?! Keep in mind, my property is in an affluent suburb so my tenants take snooty to a new level, but still. I was freaking offended and I let them know how inappropriate their comments were.
        <exit with tail between their legs>

Comment

RandyL yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.
          Amy Campbell
          Editor
          Inside Self-Storage
          amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Were owner operated here, but basically the same duties as a full-time manager. We don't have any employees.

It's funny how our own friends and family think the same thing. "What do you do all day?". Well, aside from some down time playing around on these boards, I pay bills, clean units, take phone calls, clean up garbage, clean the office, process payments, update the website, do building maintenance, mow the lawn, shovel snow, pull weeds, post auctions, run errands, order supplies, and run a business. But other than that, yes I sit around all day.

Comment

Originally posted by letsgosonics View Post
              Were owner operated here, but basically the same duties as a full-time manager. We don't have any employees.

It's funny how our own friends and family think the same thing. "What do you do all day?". Well, aside from some down time playing around on these boards, I pay bills, clean units, take phone calls, clean up garbage, clean the office, process payments, update the website, do building maintenance, mow the lawn, shovel snow, pull weeds, post auctions, run errands, order supplies, and run a business. But other than that, yes I sit around all day.
              We are mostly owner operated as well, but I do have a couple part time employees between my 3 locations. I have a uhaul district manager come into my office before and I asked them how many employees their new location in town had, when he said 10 my jaw dropped wondering what 10 employees could possibly be doing to run a single location.

Comment

In response to my question; "What do you think this job entails?"
                An interviewee while chewing her gum like a cow chewing its' cud saying; "Well, I figure you just sit around all day so I can like, totally like, do my nails and talk with my boyfriend to keep myself busy." NEXT!

People in general and some fraction of our industry that own facilities still believe people do nothing to keep their multi-million dollar investments running smoothly. It's a shame, but thankfully there are more and more owner/operators that may eventually turn the tide on the supposed lack of work required to run a great facility by sharing their experiences.
                Gina 6k
                twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

This doesn't address the question posed in the original post, but I still periodically get people that just assume I'll be some uneducated doormat that they can roll over because I'm "just a storage guy". They are disabused of that notion pretty quickly when they let that attitude bubble to the surface.

In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Yes, there is definitely a misconception. They hear storage, they think trash .

Comment

Maybe people are just being nice to me, but I just don't see that here in Iowa. Though there are quite a few owner operated facilities here.

Comment

I have always got " Aren't you bored when the facility is full?". Many people think that a manager's job is as easy as filling up the storage, and relaxing afterwards.

Comment

I for one know that there is a lot to running a storage business. We are 97% full on the inside units and 52% outside parking (too much sun in Yuma). And I constantly have something to do. It is just me and one guy who works 1 day a week maintenance and 2 days while I am off. The lien process requires a lot of work, between notices, cutting locks, pictures, calling past dues. And we all know about upkeep & repairs of a storage facility. Oh not to mention always on security watch! Ok, I'm done, I needed to vent!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X