Is there a full moon???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a full moon???

I'm feeling extra "stabby" today. Between a jerk of a tenant at 9pm last night, to the jerk of a tenant that just walked out my door, I feel a rampage coming on.

Two tenants were just in here; one of them was releasing his unit to the other. I don't have an official form for this, I just require both people are present and one of them write on a piece of paper that they are signing over the lease to the other person, sign, & date. I do a new lease, new person signs, everyone leaves. This guy kept asking me what would prevent me from coming after him about the unit. I kept telling him that he was no longer on the lease, she was. Then he asked "what about my lease"? It's now invalid, she rents that unit now. "Can I have that copy of my lease then?" No, that gets attached to the new lease with the new tenant, that's my paper trail. On and on he went, telling me what I was doing wouldn't hold up in court, blah blah blah. He even refused to write the "unit release to other person" for me saying I was the one that was supposed to write it. So, I wrote on the name/address change form that "John Doe" is no longer financially responsible for unit # whatever. No, I didn't actually write John Doe, I used his real name. While he was happy with that, he actually never wrote or signed that HE was releasing the unit to the other person. I'm sure it will be fine since both people were here so I'm not too concerned.

There seriously has to be a full moon somewhere because everybody's just gone nuts.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

We make people sign a new lease agreement.... I dont see why you need a paper trail? for the items in the unit? Why the hell would someone bother to argue with you about going after them for money? its not even really your responsibility to deal with this crap.

PPL are just retarded... End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by mmidgley View Post
      We make people sign a new lease agreement.... I dont see why you need a paper trail? for the items in the unit? Why the hell would someone bother to argue with you about going after them for money? its not even really your responsibility to deal with this crap.

PPL are just retarded... End of story.
      I don't NEED a paper trail, I do a new lease too. I just have the original renter "sign over" the unit to the other person and I attach everything together. By signing the unit over, they can't come back to me and say I changed the lease w/o their permission.This guy was so concerned that SOMEBODY was going to come after him and he'd be held liable. For what, I don't know. No matter how many times I told him that the new lease with the new renter on it was the only person responsible for that unit, he just didn't get it. He was too hung up on his lease, which was now invalid, and kept asking me to give it to him so no one could hold him responsible. Even when I said if she stopped paying on the unit, she would be the one I would send the notices too, he just didn't get it. Today has just been a day of people not getting it.

After this all happened, another tenant came in to pay on her unit and she even asked me if there was a full moon. LOL So it's not just me.

Comment

Anytime someone wants to give their unit to someone else, we require both people come in to the office and they sign a release and acceptance form. Then the new tenant has to sign a new lease for the space with their name on it. Once that's done, the old tenant is released from any responsibility and we make sure we get all new contact information for the person taking over the space. I tell people I don't care who's paying for it, I'm calling the NAME ON THE LEASE. That's who I'm legally required to inform, nobody else. If they want to get all the notices, they can have it put in their name like they should've done to begin with. It's not an everyday thing, but it's a pain in the butt when it does happen. And as far as a paper trail, why not have one? That way if one party tries to argue, you've got documentation on your side and lawyers and judges loooove paper trails.

Comment

Originally posted by dreid View Post
          Anytime someone wants to give their unit to someone else, we require both people come in to the office and they sign a release and acceptance form. Then the new tenant has to sign a new lease for the space with their name on it. Once that's done, the old tenant is released from any responsibility and we make sure we get all new contact information for the person taking over the space. I tell people I don't care who's paying for it, I'm calling the NAME ON THE LEASE. That's who I'm legally required to inform, nobody else. If they want to get all the notices, they can have it put in their name like they should've done to begin with. It's not an everyday thing, but it's a pain in the butt when it does happen. And as far as a paper trail, why not have one? That way if one party tries to argue, you've got documentation on your side and lawyers and judges loooove paper trails.
          This is exactly what I was trying to explain to the guy but he just wasn't getting it. But, since I don't have an actual form to do this, we accept a written notice from the tenant giving up the unit. I was just getting sooo frustrated with him not understanding why HE should be the one writing, or at least signing, a notice to give up the unit. I even offered to write it and he sign it but he refused that asking, again, why he needed to sign it. Ugh. He kept saying I should have been the one to give him something saying he gave up the unit. He didn't understand that the new lease removed his responsibility and wanted to take his original lease with him...he was not getting why I needed to keep it. I finally just wrote on a copy of the transfer receipt that he was not financially responsible and that made him happy. Totally wouldn't hold up in court, but the guy's, like, 180 years old so I don't think I'll have much to worry about.

If I run into a similar situation in the future, I'm just going to move one out, and move the other in.

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post

This is exactly what I was trying to explain to the guy but he just wasn't getting it. But, since I don't have an actual form to do this, we accept a written notice from the tenant giving up the unit. I was just getting sooo frustrated with him not understanding why HE should be the one writing, or at least signing, a notice to give up the unit. I even offered to write it and he sign it but he refused that asking, again, why he needed to sign it. Ugh. He kept saying I should have been the one to give him something saying he gave up the unit. He didn't understand that the new lease removed his responsibility and wanted to take his original lease with him...he was not getting why I needed to keep it. I finally just wrote on a copy of the transfer receipt that he was not financially responsible and that made him happy. Totally wouldn't hold up in court, but the guy's, like, 180 years old so I don't think I'll have much to worry about.

If I run into a similar situation in the future, I'm just going to move one out, and move the other in.
            Well, you know, that is the easiest way and then you get a "new" move in for that month AND hopefully a admin fee to boot!!!
            www.columbiastoragegroup

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Wouldn't it just be a name transfer? I have a form for that. If the items never move and all that is happening is a different name then it is just a transfer. The lease is initialed at all the appropriate places, just like the original, and dated with each initial and new signature and the transfer form is kept with the lease and that is also signed by each person and dated. Right?
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                Wouldn't it just be a name transfer? I have a form for that. If the items never move and all that is happening is a different name then it is just a transfer. The lease is initialed at all the appropriate places, just like the original, and dated with each initial and new signature and the transfer form is kept with the lease and that is also signed by each person and dated. Right?
                Yes, that's exactly what this was. But, he kept insisting he should get something saying he was no longer responsible for the unit in any way and wasn't understanding that my doing a new lease with the name of the other person removed him from any responsibility of the unit. He was bothered by the fact that I was keeping his original lease and thought that would, in some way, still make him responsible. Ugh.

And, lady 5563, I didn't think about move out/move in until AFTER they'd left, or I'd def done it that way.

Comment

We have a rental release form for the current tenant and we make the new tenant fill out a whole new lease. Some people are just ridiculous.

Comment

I only have a "unit relinquishment" form for tenants to sign over to the facility. I think I am going to create a form for transferring a unit to another person. Will certainly make my life easier.

Comment

Move them out and move new named tenant in.
                      It's easy.
                      Make them play by YOUR rules!
                      www.columbiastoragegroup

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
                        I only have a "unit relinquishment" form for tenants to sign over to the facility. I think I am going to create a form for transferring a unit to another person. Will certainly make my life easier.
                        I sent you what we use-- wouldn't let me attach, but the layout is all there ready for you to put your property information in and upload to your system-- it's a .doc file so it can be re-saved as an rtf if need be

Comment

Originally posted by dreid View Post

I sent you what we use-- wouldn't let me attach, but the layout is all there ready for you to put your property information in and upload to your system-- it's a .doc file so it can be re-saved as an rtf if need be
                          Appreciate it, thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X