Announcement

Collapse

Holiday Closures

Due to office closures during the 2017 winter holidays, SST membership registration may take longer to process. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience. Happy holidays!
See more
See less

Dumbest lock stories?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We must have something in the air here lately because I've found 4 locked open units this past week. Thankfully, they came right away to remedy the situation. I take a pic of the latch close up and then one with the unit# showing, and also open the unit as far as it will go and photo what I can see. On occasion, I have texted the close-up pic to the tenant while we're talking on the phone so they can see what I'm talking about since they're usually like "whaat? I know I locked it!" but also to create a sense of urgency. But we also do whatever necessary to secure the unit. If they don't come in right away, we cut the lock off and throw another one on there and put the cost on their account. Same for finding a unit with no lock on it if they don't come in right away.

Dumbest thing? I once had a tenant attach a bungee cord from the latch (it was at least in the closed position) to the door handle at the center/bottom of the door.

Seriously?

Comment

He should have wrapped it in duct tape. Nobody breaks thru that.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

OMG! I spit out my coffee! THANKS FOR THE GUT LAUGH!

Comment

I had a tenant refuse to pay a late fee because we had overlocked his unit for the past few weeks. The thing is that we didn't overlock him, we were forced to put our lock on it to secure it because he had locked it open. We tried calling, emailing, and called his secondary contact.

This tenant was angry and caused a commotion because we acted in his best interest, cut his lock, and replaced it with ours. He finally paid up, and vacated

Comment

Originally posted by mseguin View Post
            I had a tenant refuse to pay a late fee because we had overlocked his unit for the past few weeks. The thing is that we didn't overlock him, we were forced to put our lock on it to secure it because he had locked it open. We tried calling, emailing, and called his secondary contact.

This tenant was angry and caused a commotion because we acted in his best interest, cut his lock, and replaced it with ours. He finally paid up, and vacated
            Try and remember it is self storage, they are to secure there unit not you. You are creating a liability for your self in locking their unit. Exception in the case of overlocks for being late.
            Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie View Post
              OMG! I spit out my coffee! THANKS FOR THE GUT LAUGH!
              Welcome to the forum Birdie.

Yes it is self storage but I don't want to encourage other tenants to open a unit and look inside. I do lock checks every day, even on my days off. If I find a unit locked in the unlocked position I call all their number and the alt contact number and email them. If they do not get back to me within 24 hours I cut off their lock and lock the unit with a new tenant lock and add all charges to the unit account and lock the gate out. I take pics thru the whole process. If they want to cry about it, too bad. If they want to move out because of it, too bad. I then get rid of a tenant trying to run the asylum. They need to go find their "safe place" facility and be happy there. This has never happened here because I make this policy perfectly clear on move in and anytime I talk to them when I do call or email because of the unit being locked open.
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X