Disturbing Phone Call

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disturbing Phone Call

Our co-manager got a disturbing phone call the other day. The number was blocked so were not sure who placed the call. She did hang-up on the caller.

A woman called and was using words I normally reserve for that special unpleasant and uncontrollable painful situation. (Iím trying to keep this postable )

The polite gist of her call was she did not like our Craigslist postings and we should blank-blank-blank. We donít spam or over-post and I think our advertising is honest.

First thought was an irate customer. Kind of ruled that out. The other thoughts are a prank (not sure what) or possibly a competitor.

Not much we can do about it. So far we are trying to just put it behind us and get on with business.

Sorry, I guess I just had to vent. Thanks SST for being there.

Re: Disturbing Phone Call

I would chalk it up to a non-medicated irrational phone call......
    Tall Terri

The customer's fantasy doesn't always match with our reality! http://www.selfstoragetalk.com/core/...ilies/cool.png

Comment

What was her problem? Is she with the Craig's List Vigilantes?

Comment

OH my thats crazy! I bet it was a competitor! If not someone who was sold at auction who is mad! Don't let it get to you she needs to go take her meds!!
        Stacie

Comment

It was probably a prank call people search for ads with numbers and bug them, thats the downside of craigslist thanks to the popularity of youtube prank calls.

Comment

I probably would have just told my other manager about it, my spouse and moved on.

Obviously this person has issues of their own they need to deal with. I don't need my brain taking time to wonder what their issues are.

David
            The views/comments expressed in this posting are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by CubeSmart and do not necessarily represent its views or opinions.

Comment

And there are 'trolls' who don't use the computer for their nefarious activities, and apparently this one is technologically challenged and had to use a phone instead of blind email. Bet if you picture a good old fashioned 'bridge troll' a' la Billy Goat's Gruff, using an old fashioned 'crank' style phone to make this obscene call, you'll start laughing and be able to let it go! Besides, if life were able to show people as they really are inside, that's exactly what you would see with people like this caller! So laugh, and let go... there are so many other problems to deal with, I'm sure you'll agree. And finally, it would please this Troll Woman to know end if she knew she'd gotten to you - so don't let her have the satisfaction!

Comment

I have had calls like that over the years - for no particular reason, at home and at work. My stock response comes when they first start their profane tirade...." Get a Life!" and hang up. If you listen more than 2 seconds you encourage them.

Comment

I'm a few years late on this thread but I read old posts when I'm bored at the desk so here's mine:
                  It was within my first month on the job and I got a call from a random number. I thought it was my boss pranking me because she kept saying "you know who this is" kind of jokingly. Then the cursing started and I realized this was not my boss, but an obviously unstable person we had somehow wronged in the past. She accused us of stealing her stuff and she was going to find us and hurt us. I eventually hung up and called my boss immediately. I had a few pieces of information from that call to go off of and my boss suggested a search of the phone number on the caller ID. It came back as....THE MENTAL HOSPITAL IN TOWN! I was properly freaked and we eventually concluded it was a former auctioned tenant whose mother was now storing at the facility. She somehow got a hold of a phone while committed and started calling everyone who had "wronged" her, including a few family members. The mom was very apologetic. Hearing stories of this former tenant, I'm lucky she was safely locked up and not in my office. She still pops up on the recent mugshots regularly, and it still gives me the chills thinking about that call.
                  Give them an inch, they'll take a mile!

Comment

Did get a very threatening call about 1.5 years ago and he referenced a thread we talked about here at SST. He said he was going to come kick my ass, him and his friends, because we at SST sold people's belongings at auction and did not let them go forever before we sold them. About 1/2 way thru I just couldn't take it anymore and started laughing as hard as I had in a long time. he did not like that one bit. He hung up after his last threat and I called the police with the story of the call and the number. The police called me back and said it was a prank call from somewhere in Montana and several people had gotten different types of threats from the same number. The thing that was funny was he referenced SST. He must be one of the famous "lurkers" we have here.
                    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                      Did get a very threatening call about 1.5 years ago and he referenced a thread we talked about here at SST. He said he was going to come kick my ass, him and his friends, because we at SST sold people's belongings at auction and did not let them go forever before we sold them. About 1/2 way thru I just couldn't take it anymore and started laughing as hard as I had in a long time. he did not like that one bit. He hung up after his last threat and I called the police with the story of the call and the number. The police called me back and said it was a prank call from somewhere in Montana and several people had gotten different types of threats from the same number. The thing that was funny was he referenced SST. He must be one of the famous "lurkers" we have here.

I'm sorry Pac, I was in a dark place at the time.

Totally joking
                      Kevin Kerr
                      Self Storage Software by Storage Commander
                      Kevin@storagecommander.com
                      Direct - 951.867.4732

Comment

Yea, I think he/you did slip in the beginning and almost said he was Kevin. So the 951 area code is in Montana. Not much to do and occupy your time in Montana and so resorting to prank/threatening calls can be appealing. Especially to a mild mannered milk toast like myself. We tremble easily.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                          Yea, I think he/you did slip in the beginning and almost said he was Kevin. So the 951 area code is in Montana. Not much to do and occupy your time in Montana and so resorting to prank/threatening calls can be appealing. Especially to a mild mannered milk toast like myself. We tremble easily.
                          Pac, it wasn't me, all of Montana is area code 406

Comment

My info was supplied by the police. They could have told me anything. Doesn't mean I am not super vigilant and STOCKED with protection.

Had a call yesterday on my day off. I listened to the voice message they left. It was 37 seconds with a woman dropping "F" bombs at least a dozen times and talking to a guy in the background. I don't think she knew she was LIVE on the phone because none of what she said was about a unit. About 15 minutes later she called back and left a "nice" message about a friend named Mike that was desperate for a 5x5 unit and please call them back. They were not gonna get a unit, no way no how.
                            Last edited by pacnwstorage; 17th October 2017, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X