Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

time to replace WHAM security & gate software -- recommendations??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time to replace WHAM security & gate software -- recommendations??

hi Friends ~ Happy Winter!

i've been skimming posts on this ISS forum about gates and security systems -- very helpful!

at the risk of asking any of you to repeat yourselves, i would love to hear updated leads on your favorite gate and unit alarm software. we are ideally looking for a system that is long lasting (as in not obsolete in 5 years), low maintenance, and readily accessible for most local PNW electricians to install and maintain.

i took over as Resident Manager at this property last Spring and they are using their original 2004 WHAM security system with hardwired alarms in all 400 units that are armed/disarmed using tenant gate codes at entry and exit gates. it's a great system but we need to replace it bc we are running it off a PC tower that uses DOS and a floppy drive. i had to call an electrician recently bc a number of our door alarms were glitching up and the gate control box was not receiving gate updates from Sitelink. it took me over a month to get help, once i finally found an electrician who had any experience with WHAM and got on his schedule. he was able to fix the problems (hallelujha !!) but he said he didn't know what we would do if our WHAM PC tower died and we were not able to find one that could run and back up WHAM since their software updates have been scarce over the years.

a lot of folks have told me that PTI and Digitech (are these the same company now?) are the way to go as far as the latest and greatest in self storage alarms and security.

i believe transitioning our property from WHAM to PTI will mean asking our Tenants to provide keys or permission to cut locks in order to change out the switches/magnets inside each unit -- huge undertaking !! but it would be worth it if we were then good to go for another 10-15 years or longer.

thanks so much for your input, if you feel inspired to chime in !! i want to get a jump on this so we are ahead of the game and not caught in a disaster if the PC croaks out overnight

Talk to PTI first-I am pretty sure Robert is on this board. He can help you with the details. (wow, DOS? I do e-recycling and someone brought in an ACTUAL typewriter. Talk about ancient)
    An apple a day keeps ANYONE away if you throw it hard enough.

Comment

Talk to vendors first and see what can be done without having to change out a lot of things. You might luck out and not have to inconvenience customers too much -- don't quote me on that, but it's worth asking. Best of luck on that

Comment

You should just need to replace the Mux boards that receive the OPEN / CLOSED signal from the magnetic sensor in the units. Most of these are all the same (non proprietary). .. Its the boards, hardware and software that are usually only good for one system.

Comment

Originally posted by Absolute Storage Salem View Post
          hi Friends ~ Happy Winter!

i've been skimming posts on this ISS forum about gates and security systems -- very helpful!

at the risk of asking any of you to repeat yourselves, i would love to hear updated leads on your favorite gate and unit alarm software. we are ideally looking for a system that is long lasting (as in not obsolete in 5 years), low maintenance, and readily accessible for most local PNW electricians to install and maintain.

i took over as Resident Manager at this property last Spring and they are using their original 2004 WHAM security system with hardwired alarms in all 400 units that are armed/disarmed using tenant gate codes at entry and exit gates. it's a great system but we need to replace it bc we are running it off a PC tower that uses DOS and a floppy drive. i had to call an electrician recently bc a number of our door alarms were glitching up and the gate control box was not receiving gate updates from Sitelink. it took me over a month to get help, once i finally found an electrician who had any experience with WHAM and got on his schedule. he was able to fix the problems (hallelujha !!) but he said he didn't know what we would do if our WHAM PC tower died and we were not able to find one that could run and back up WHAM since their software updates have been scarce over the years.

a lot of folks have told me that PTI and Digitech (are these the same company now?) are the way to go as far as the latest and greatest in self storage alarms and security.

i believe transitioning our property from WHAM to PTI will mean asking our Tenants to provide keys or permission to cut locks in order to change out the switches/magnets inside each unit -- huge undertaking !! but it would be worth it if we were then good to go for another 10-15 years or longer.

thanks so much for your input, if you feel inspired to chime in !! i want to get a jump on this so we are ahead of the game and not caught in a disaster if the PC croaks out overnight
          Yes, PTI and Digitech are the same company now. We have been for several years. I'd be happy to help with any questions you have, just PM and let me know.

Robert Toy
          PTI Security Systems

Comment

I would also encourage you to attend the ISS World Expo in Las Vegas. Not only are the educational seminars well worth it, but the trade show has saved me thousands of dollars and countless headaches over the years. When you're making a big purchase and change like you are, it's invaluable to be able to talk to people face to face about your particular needs. You'll make personal connections there that will be very important and translate into tangible dollars and time saved. The ability to go back and forth between vendors of products you're interested in and ask real-time questions and get immediate answers makes it all far more than worth the cost to attend.

My criteria for attending has always been whether or not I learned something that made me real money, or purchased something at the trade show that saved me more than the cost of attendance. For close to 10 years now, I've come home with an ROI off the charts.

https://insideselfstorageworldexpo.com/

At my facility, our PTI installation has been nothing short of bulletproof for 20 years.
            In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

I have three facilities that use PTI and it's been great. I too acquired a fourth site that has WHAM and we are in the process of switching it over. Sadly a simple MUX switch would not work with the hardwired alarms based on their type and the way they were installed. I'd love to hear if you have other success. We even though about switching over one mux as a test but that seems to have shot down by the installer/tech that we'd subcontract. Consequently, were looking at a wireless upgrade to avoid the accessing every unit. We will do this in phases and have a plan to use beam security as we complete blocks of systems individual door alarm upgrades ... I'll be very curious about how you proceed.

Comment

thanks so much everyone !! super Helpful and super Appreciated !!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• QuickTrip
                  Reply to Pie in the Sky
                  QuickTrip
                  Thank you for your encouraging words! They helped.
                  Yesterday, 10:45 PM
                • pacnwstorage
                  Reply to Pie in the Sky
                  pacnwstorage
                  Depending on where it is on your body that you kick yourself, that could be a neat trick. I mean, I can kick my foot or my hand but anywhere else and I am at a loss on how to do that. I make light of things because I do that a lot if I make a mistake. I used to beat myself up over it, especially when...
                  Yesterday, 10:24 PM
                • QuickTrip
                  Reply to Pie in the Sky
                  QuickTrip
                  Thanks. A refund check was written, but the manager saw it because of my note and called the tenant. The tenant lied, however, nothing written in his notepad about error, and error wasn't corrected by the time I saw it. The manager said it wasn't my fault but said to leave matters of question to her...
                  Yesterday, 09:02 PM
                Working...
                X